Windows 10 TP Build 9926 Released!

What's the general consensus on this build? Is it stable enough for the SurfacePro 3? Anyone try it with that?

I've seen people mention driver issues for various devices. But since this is a specific device, if it worked for someone else, it'd likely work for me.

What's the general consensus on this build? Is it stable enough for the SurfacePro 3? Anyone try it with that?

I'm dual booting it with my and it's just not there yet. Way to CPU hungry, the fan is constantly running even when idle, lots of issues with video playback, etc. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a full time OS for the SP3 at this point but dual booting should be ok.

Upgraded to this build and noticed something missing.........my AV
Avast was removed and cannot be installed, claiming incompatible.

Not going to run it without any AV so I'll put it aside for awhile.

The built-in AV not running/working? :confused:

So use Windows Defender. It's built in.

Literally every installation of Windows 8/.1 and 10 has AV built in via Windows Defender.

any info on when a new slow/fast build will be released?...after all that hype I thought 9926 was going to be a lot better...so the 9932 build was never released to the public?

Windows Defender is terrible and should NOT be relied on.

Not true. It's nonintrusive, updates frequently, and catches infections at comparable rates to other free AVs. If you're going to run a free AV, you might as well just leave it on and let it work with the rest of Windows' security settings as intended.

Now, when it comes to paid AV, yeah, the likes of Eset Smart Security and Bitdefender are going to smoke Windows Defender.

Not true. It's nonintrusive, updates frequently, and catches infections at comparable rates to other free AVs. If you're going to run a free AV, you might as well just leave it on and let it work with the rest of Windows' security settings as intended.

Now, when it comes to paid AV, yeah, the likes of Eset Smart Security and Bitdefender are going to smoke Windows Defender.

It doesn't catch malware comparable to other free AVs. It's basically last place among free AV. That almost doesn't even count.

Never used defender, always Avast+MWB for the past 10+ years.
The earlier build Avast worked but updating to the latest update borked it.

No issues with MWB though.

I read AVG and Elvira? free do work on 10

defender updates once a day it would appear, hell I have it turned off and it still gets updates.

Most other AV's update twice or more per day.

It doesn't catch malware comparable to other free AVs. It's basically last place among free AV. That almost doesn't even count.

Used to be true. Not anymore. Again: use it in conjunction with the OS' security features and it's perfectly fine protection relative to other free AV.

av-comparatives.org shows Microsoft dead last at only 83% of catching viruses and malware.

Trend micro was 1st at 99.5%.

Last edited:
Used to be true. Not anymore. Again: use it in conjunction with the OS' security features and it's perfectly fine protection relative to other free AV.

We have VERY different definitions of perfectly fine. AV should actually catch malware... not let it through like Windows Defender.

347.25 has been the latest WHQL driver for several days now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's being pushed over Windows Update now.

Just got these today with Windows Update. Nice that there isn't a long lag time.

We have VERY different definitions of perfectly fine. AV should actually catch malware... not let it through like Windows Defender.

It's not that we have different definitions so much as you're only reading about a third of my posts, and partially misunderstanding that fraction to boot.

And really, people should be using paid AV in the first place.

"people should be using paid AV in the first place" Some free versions are better than paid crap.
It's not that we have different definitions so much as you're only reading about a third of my posts, and partially misunderstanding that fraction to boot.

And really, people should be using paid AV in the first place.

Of course. Just saying that free ones like Avira + my head never gave me any problems.
And the best paid version is better than the best free version. What's your point?

Spartan sounds offbeat. They should name it discovery or something related to browsing :p
Internet Explorer Project Spartan Shows Large Performance Gains

The performance increase of the new Javascript engine is massive, and brings Internet Explorer basically up to par with Google Chome for Javascript performance...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8932/internet-explorer-project-spartan-shows-large-performance-gains

I recall 8 had a sleep/hibernation problem and it seems 10 does as well.
It will sleep but if you have any USB attached [like a WD mybook] it will shut down and then fire right back up in about 10 seconds.
7 does not behave like this.

Is there a trick I am missing?

I think you have to go into the device manager, right click the usb device, go to properties, and disable allow this device to wake the computer.

Sleep works but I have to eject/remove my WD mybook. I don't have any sleep timer on it.

Last wake up from sleep, BSOD.

Marvell Mv91xx driver which is the host card for the SSD.

Had another awhile back, the common irq_less then zero one.

I recall 8 had a sleep/hibernation problem and it seems 10 does as well.
It will sleep but if you have any USB attached [like a WD mybook] it will shut down and then fire right back up in about 10 seconds.
7 does not behave like this.
As someone who's had her fair share of headaches getting sleep-mode issues fixed on home theater PC's...that's bull. Windows 7 installs very-often run into the same problem, where they'll sleep for a few seconds and then wake right back up.

Steps to diagnose the source of the problem:
1. Put the computer to sleep
2. Wait for it to wake itself
3. Open the Command Prompt and type "powercfg lastwake" (without the quotes)

That command should return the last thing that woke up the computer. It could be anything from an automatic wake timer, scheduled task, device, virtual device driver, wake-on-LAN, magic packet, HID input, etc.

Last wake up from sleep, BSOD.

Marvell Mv91xx driver which is the host card for the SSD.

Had another awhile back, the common irq_less then zero one.
Sounds like a potential driver problem. You might have to avoid (S3) Sleep mode until you can find a solution to the BDoS's... you can still use (S1) Standby or (S4) Hibernation, though.

If it's an driver problem I am screwed because I am using the latest Marvell driver and Marvell is not known to update drivers often.
Ejecting the WD external allows sleep as it should.

Bios settings are the same as they were under 7 and I never had issues.

Last edited:
9926 won't boot any longer :(
Tried a whole bunch of things to get it to boot, just keeps going through the repair process.
I'll do a fresh instal and see what happens

My logitech mouse just stopped responding. Switched to an old MS one and it worked fine <shrug>

9926 won't boot any longer :(
Tried a whole bunch of things to get it to boot, just keeps going through the repair process.
I'll do a fresh instal and see what happens

Thought I'd give it one more try and low and behold it booted up! :confused:

Thought I'd give it one more try and low and behold it booted up! :confused:

Who knows what is going on with W10 right now. My install showed some missing files so tried to repair it with the install disk and kept getting a message that the drive was locked and couldn't install--an endless loop so decided to keep using as-is or maybe blow it out and reinstall again. Waiting for a new version and hoping it will be better. Lots of bugs in it at the moment.

MS should have waited until Spartan was ready before releasing a new build...9926 seems like a rush job to get something out to the public after their Windows 10 presentation a few weeks back

MS should have waited until Spartan was ready before releasing a new build...9926 seems like a rush job to get something out to the public after their Windows 10 presentation a few weeks back
/agree

I might go back to 9789 or even W7. 9926 is not ready to be a daily driver. I had little, but expected, problem with 9789 as my main and only OS.

New features, new UI. No, it's not a rush job. They want feedback on the new changes. Spartan feedback takes a back seat to whether or not people are going to keep complaining about the Start Menu.

I've been giving them heck on their forum about drivers, 4K resolution, mulit-monitor scaling, desktop icons and several other things--they actually respond but so far not a lot of change. Hoping for more in the next build. I've enabled the Spartan engine in IE11 but don't see a lot of change other than it breaks the YouTube screen--haven't gotten on a rant with them about that yet since I might be a bit ahead of the curve but once they release it I'll be sure and respond. The more people try the new builds and respond, the more input they'll have to work with. Sort of like if you didn't vote then don't compain when it is all said and done.

Last edited:
What I had with 9926 became unstable and wouldn't boot reliably and eventually not at all.
Tried a fresh instal with zero luck on a fresh drive.

shame as I liked some of its features

Back