Windows 10 “Threshold 2” To Launch November 2nd For Consumers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The big Windows 10 update is expected on November 2nd, bringing improvements to messaging and Edge, alongside new customization options.

Threshold 2 also brings new customization options such as the ability to enable an extra column on Start and enable colored title bars. Threshold 2 feels like a much more rounded operating system compared to the Windows 10 release in July, and that’s a good thing. Consumers will receive this update automatically, much like any other update starting November 2nd.

I'm pretty excited for this. Windows 10 has been working pretty well for me, with a few minor exceptions. The insider previews have been a great way to get feedback and make open progress.

Windows 10 - things to continue to fix... The settings & control panel, alot of us think this should just be combined admin screen/utility. The Explorer.exe crashes there have been a lot of problems with these on 10565. Finally the memory leak that was introduced in 565, if they can fix all of that it will be one of the most solid Windows in a long time.

So what tactic will they play this time to force W10 on people who don't want it?

So what tactic will they play this time to force W10 on people who don't want it?

What, you don't want fewer features and ads on your start menu? They've even got ads in Solitaire just in case you feel like doing some shopping during your down time.

And don't mind Microsoft looking over your shoulder at everything you do, they're just using that data to improve Cortana and such. They promise. Everyone does it. Nothing to worry about.

Here's hoping they return to a brightness slider. I haven't seen a single good reason why they dropped it.

What, you don't want fewer features and ads on your start menu? They've even got ads in Solitaire just in case you feel like doing some shopping during your down time.

And don't mind Microsoft looking over your shoulder at everything you do, they're just using that data to improve Cortana and such. They promise. Everyone does it. Nothing to worry about.

Except that their EULA has shown what they do and do not do. No, I am not going to do the research for you, I am sure you can do it yourself. The thing I am sticking with is VMWare Player 12 because, as nice as Virtualbox is, support for Windows 10 has been non existent at best.

I've had a pretty good experience with Windows 10 so far. It's been stable and everything I'm using has been compatible.
Cortana seems kind of flaky - but honestly, I doubt I would use it unless I could have it tied into my home automation (like the Amazon Echo can do). To add a note, my microphone isn't officially supported by Cortana so that could be part of the issue I'm having.
I also have not used Edge much. I use Chrome, so unless Edge can do more for me, I doubt I'll be switching browsers.

The ability to directly plug in my Windows 8 serial number is a big deal for me. I need to rebuild this box, and the burden of having to do a Windows installation twice to get to W10 has meant that I have been putting it off and off.

I am hoping this update will smooth some of the rough edges of Windows 10. Windows 10 RTM looked good, but it felt a little rushed, perhaps to time the release to back to school or to make sure it was well supported for the holiday season. Search for Windows 10 bugs on the web and and you'll find no paucity of news articles, posts, or support pages. As Ars Technica said, "Windows 10 is the best version yet—once the bugs get fixed." When asked at work, I would tell people who shied away from Windows 8.x that Windows 10 looked good, but it might be advisable to wait for the first major update.

We already know this update will not include Microsoft Edge extension support. I doubt it will address privacy (or telemetry) concerns, whether real or imagined. I hope it doesn't include ads (or suggested apps) in the Start Menu without the ability to turn this off. Either way, I left the Windows Insider ring on RTM and am excited to see what it will bring to my Windows 10 installations.

Except that their EULA has shown what they do and do not do. No, I am not going to do the research for you, I am sure you can do it yourself. The thing I am sticking with is VMWare Player 12 because, as nice as Virtualbox is, support for Windows 10 has been non existent at best.
This post misses the point of an EULA. A EULA doesn't detail what the software does and doesn't do. It's a legal document. I would no sooner look to a EULA to find out what software does or doesn't do than I would watch a commercial and expect to understand the specifications and real world experience of a device. (Maybe you're thinking of privacy policies, which aren't much better in my opinion).

Besides, have you actually read the EULA fully yourself? It's not exactly clear, precise, and isn't written in an accessible way. This is no critique of Microsoft. The percentage of EULAs that I have actually read are all like this. It is long past time that the practice of writing End User License Agreement be reexamined and reformed. "There ought to be a law..."

I had an extra copy of Windows 7 so I installed it on a spare hard drive...am thinking about 'upgrading' to Windows 10 on that drive once Threshold 2 hits and still using Windows 7 on my main hard drive

The ability to directly plug in my Windows 8 serial number is a big deal for me. I need to rebuild this box, and the burden of having to do a Windows installation twice to get to W10 has meant that I have been putting it off and off.

Explain?

have win8 install, choose free upgrade to win10

Now mobo has lifetime reinstalls of win10, no win8/10 is ever needed again, just pop in win10 disc and install.

Here's hoping they return to a brightness slider. I haven't seen a single good reason why they dropped it.

Definitely agree with this. Quite a few changes from 8.1 to 10 seemed counter intuitive on my SP3. The whole of the charms menu became cluttered with unwanted functions (for me) and some, like the brightness, became harder to adjust smoothly.

I couldn't stand the useless battery life and went back to 8.1, which is where I'll stay on that. And until I see a meaningful reason to upgrade my desktop will probably be staying on 7.

None, since they have not forced it on anyone. :rolleyes:

You do realize MS has already admitted it's been happening, though claimed it was "accidental".

You really need to keep up before Defense Forcing.

bring back a collor diffren on title bar and menu bar so you cna quickly see where you can drag a window...
most idiot move ever to put these in the same color next to each but with different functions...

seems like Redstone is the major update but that's only coming out next summer...I wonder if Threshold 2 is enough to entice Windows 7 holdovers

seems like Redstone is the major update but that's only coming out next summer...I wonder if Threshold 2 is enough to entice Windows 7 holdovers

No it's not, I've kept windows 98 running trought SE, trough ME, trough 2000, and then I kept XP running trough Vista, and I kept Windows 7 over 8, 8.1, and 10. And if 10 truly is the last windows they ever release, than 7 will be the last windows I use.

No mention of Microsoft addressing the privacy issues with Threshold? Off should mean OFF in the data collection settings. Not "sort of" off.

Let's see, a few minor cosmetic upgrades to an already crap ui. Yes that should be enough for me to accept a windows that looks worse, and spies on everything I do. Oh and I almost forgot: doesn't allow me to install updates at my own leisure. HELL NO. Not even if they'd pay me a monthly fee to use it.

Let's see, a few minor cosmetic upgrades to an already crap ui. Yes that should be enough for me to accept a windows that looks worse, and spies on everything I do. Oh and I almost forgot: doesn't allow me to install updates at my own leisure. HELL NO. Not even if they'd pay me a monthly fee to use it.

Does it come automatically update when you set auto updates to off like 8.1? So when you need to use your PC right then in there you have to wait 20 minutes while it freezes and goes into blank screens hoping your install wasn't ruined? I loved that the best about 8.1. So stable, just like XP. :rolleyes:

. Either way, I left the Windows Insider ring on RTM and am excited to see what it will bring to my Windows 10 installations.

I stayed and haven't seen an update because they fail at a certain percentage. Hopefully the official release fixes this.

Or you could just use the built in support IM feature and they will give you a Win10 key.

I did this about 2 weeks ago. Installed Win10 fresh and immediately tried to activate using my win 8.1 key, which failed... start up the support IM app and while surfing other stuff had a new key given to me in about 10-15 mins (after a bunch of the typical noob user questions which is to be expected).

I will add that yes its a great change to support all the previous keys natively though...

Does it come automatically update when you set auto updates to off like 8.1? So when you need to use your PC right then in there you have to wait 20 minutes while it freezes and goes into blank screens hoping your install wasn't ruined? I loved that the best about 8.1. So stable, just like XP. :rolleyes:

'Off' isn't even an option for the home edition of Windows 10. Lube up.

Definitely agree with this. Quite a few changes from 8.1 to 10 seemed counter intuitive on my SP3. The whole of the charms menu became cluttered with unwanted functions (for me) and some, like the brightness, became harder to adjust smoothly.

I couldn't stand the useless battery life and went back to 8.1, which is where I'll stay on that. And until I see a meaningful reason to upgrade my desktop will probably be staying on 7.

What's a brightness slider? Is that something different than just adjusting your monitor?

bring back a collor diffren on title bar and menu bar so you cna quickly see where you can drag a window...
most idiot move ever to put these in the same color next to each but with different functions...

Most idiot what?

If you're going to be insulting you could at least spell correctly.

Great. More pre-installed, mandatory uninstallable bullshit.

Why can't they just focus on fixing the bugs.

We don't need more "features". In fact I'd be happier if they removed a whole bunch of the existing ones. :p

You do realize MS has already admitted it's been happening, though claimed it was "accidental".

You really need to keep up before Defense Forcing.

If it was accidental, which it obviously seems to be, then it was not forced. Perhaps you need to brush up on your meaning of words?

Most idiot what?

If you're going to be insulting you could at least spell correctly.

Not everyone on here has English as their native tongue.

A person who speaks another language is still perfectly able to spot a boneheaded design decision.

Does it come automatically update when you set auto updates to off like 8.1?

I'm using 8.1 and have never seen that issue. I set updates to manual and it stays manual. Maybe it is because I use a limited user account.

No mention of letting those who use pro to choose what KB's they want to install.

So this update is just about adding features many won't want or use?

I really don't understand it. How is it.. in 2015 there are massive headlines and people falling over themselves to get a "huge" update.. and yet.. i can barely see any REAL additions and fixes of any worthy quantity or quality?!

i remember being able to install an update to software and ACTUALLY noticed the differences without even reading a change log! Now.. you're flat out noticing any change or additions and when you read any official change log or nlog post (yeah.. we even don't do change logs now), its just a few insignificant things that make me think... "WTF... what about all the REAL issues the missing functionality?!"

Perhaps one of you MS Blind Apologists can list such changes for me? Are there any real additions to the less-touch-freiendly-UI backwards step from 8.1? (and thats saying something... as even it wasnt a version 1 - ready for mass release).

Back