Windows 10 System Image Issue

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
EDIT: OK, answered my own question here. It was the "Delivery Optimization" folder put on the drive when I elected to have Xbox Game Pass saves put on drive F:. Formatted the drive, put my games back for Steam and Epic, and F: is no longer selected in the system image backup.

On a fairly regular basis, I make an image of my C: drive.

When I went to do the last system image, the System Image program inside Windows, selected my F: drive which is my Games drive.

I have never backed this up, and I am not sure when it was picked up during whatever Windows update, I assume. It now sees the F: as a System drive....

The problem is that I can DE-select F: to exclude it from the system image production.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this de-selected? My search-foo is failing me.

upload_2019-12-12_14-33-33.png

upload_2019-12-12_14-37-22.png

Last edited:
I bet Windows has shifted the bootloader to that drive, I think I've seen this before.

I had this same issue a while back. Mine was caused by having folders that windows considers part of the system drive on the games drive. If I remember correctly it was when I installed origin and used my 2nd drive for the game install. It created a 2nd Program Files folder on my game drive. I couldn’t delete the folder or modify it since windows saw it as a system folder.

OK, so I just remembered something, I installed MS Xbox Gaming Beta on that F: drive. I bet that is what caused this. Still I would like to get rid of it. Will uninstall and see what happens.

Edit: Actually I did not install that on F:, I installed it on C:, with the games directory on F:.

Have you considered disconnecting the F: Drive so you can do the backup and work on the problem later?

Have you considered disconnecting the F: Drive so you can do the backup and work on the problem later?
Hehe, it is "later."

Just delted all the Xbox Game Pass stuff, still there are folders on that drive that are protected.

Going to pull my games that I want over to another drive, format, then see what happens.

OK, answered my own question here. It was the "Delivery Optimization" folder put on the drive when I elected to have Xbox Game Pass saves put on drive F:. Formatted the drive, put my games back for Steam and Epic, and F: is no longer selected in the system image backup.

I had this same issue a while back. Mine was caused by having folders that windows considers part of the system drive on the games drive. If I remember correctly it was when I installed origin and used my 2nd drive for the game install. It created a 2nd Program Files folder on my game drive. I couldn’t delete the folder or modify it since windows saw it as a system folder.

So, does that mean you can actually set a drive specifically for games only from within Windows?

So, does that mean you can actually set a drive specifically for games only from within Windows?

Depends. Steam allows you to change the location of the library. You can also just install steam to a different drive and use that 2nd drive as the default installation point. Origin and Windows Store games like to mess with things by adding parts of the install to both drives.

Depends. Steam allows you to change the location of the library. You can also just install steam to a different drive and use that 2nd drive as the default installation point. Origin and Windows Store games like to mess with things by adding parts of the install to both drives.

So what is saved to the additional Program Files folder?

If you install origin to a 2nd hard drive, it creates its own program files folder to install games in. Really dumb design.

I don't understand the point? I've been installing Origin games on a separate HDD for years.

Anyhow, it's all sorted now, so all's good!

Back