Windows 10 Surpasses 200 Million Installs

That's not a forced upgrade, that is people clicking on stuff without reading it.

Yeah. That's what the majority of people fucking do man.

Right, wrong, smart, dumb. It just IS.

And Micro$chlock KNOWS this. It's COUNTING on it.

Because if they actually gave ample REAL warning, a bunch of these upgrades simply wouldn't happen. Or actually made it the KNOWING choice of the user, where they have to take the initiative to go into a specific interface and WILLINGLY kick off the upgrade. Rather than have the upgrade more or less just SHOVED front-and-center when MS knows people are going to try to just click on it to make it go the fuck away.

EVER.

I know this is basic stuff and you guys who are emotionally invested in one side or the other super-hard want to argue, but it does seem sort of like not offering a choice of "no thanks" when the user is presented with the options of installing now or installing tonight. Yes, there's an x button in the upper corner, but there's a LOT of people out there who really would select either one of the buttons since that's the intuitive thing-y to do when presented with a dialog pop-up and it's sort of hard to say Microsoft isn't trying to give an end user the impression they have no other option by not offering an equally sized, pretty obvious button with some sort of "no, I don't wanna" in it. For a company that made computers mainstream and allowed basically anyone to become a systems administrator through big, colorful interfaces that have obvious buttons, the oversight of that particular UI element can only be an intentional one. Getting aggressive and arguing around that point for the sake of having a forum hissy-slap fight seems a little bit silly.

Holy shit! A non-trolling post and something you and I actually agree on!

fredheart.gif

The hybrid design of Windows seems to be helping it more than hurting it at the moment. 2 in 1 growth is very brisk while traditional PC sales have stagnated. Apple has seen a little growth however recently. And moreover, the idea of the productivity tablet has struck a chord which Apple and Google getting into the game. Samsung, who hasn't made a Windows tablet in a long time looks like it's getting ready to release one while it seems to have eschewed its large Galaxy Note 12.

Locked into the Windows Store? Not on the desktop. I run Steam and Origin just fine in addition to using Windows Store apps.

UPlay also runs just fine under Windows 10, as does GOG

UPlay also runs just fine under Windows 10, as does GOG

Forgot about those and I use them as well. A lot was made of this subject when Windows 8 launched and while I could understand some of the discussion about Microsoft dropping the desktop and everything becoming an app, that ultimately has zero benefit to Microsoft. The Win32 desktop is an enormous asset and will be so for the foreseeable future.

Still much app development is now in the mobile space. Getting some of that on the desktop does have advantages. Content apps like Netflix, certain games, eBooks, etc. All of this stuff is never going to be fully web based.

200 million+ suckers... wow, that's a lot of candy. :D

Define "Far too many" ... there are over 1.5 billion Windows users ... 200 million of who are using Windows 10 ... some small (but vocal) minority of which are complaining of being "forced" to do the free upgrade ... I suspect that 90% (or more) of Win 10 users are perfectly satisfied with (or indifferent to) Win 10

There seems to be more than a few here in this thread that think it is being forced down the throats of people. I'm sure the 20 million number counts all of us who have tried different versions of 10 and gone back to 7. Thanks for the feedback that is why I am here.

I agree with CreepyUncleGoogle on the "Upgrade Now/Upgrade Later" popup. The fact that there's no "No thanks" button, and no "Don't ask me again" option means that it's intentionally misleading and manipulative.

I'm sure Win10 works for some people, and most users are fine with it. It's not for me, though, unless and until MS make it possible/easy to 1) remove the bloatware, 2) turn off all telemetry and such, and 3) disable automatic updates.

Using 10 pro 64 on a SSD right now and it's fine, snappy.
What irks me still is on my 7 machine every patch tues they keep adding 5583 to the download group and I have to keep hiding it.

Will they make good on their promise to cut people off in Summer, 2016?

"Sorry, we warned you, Windows 10 ain't free anymore."

Doubt it, I just don't see them switching gears from trying to get everyone on Windows 10 to removing that option so quickly. More likely, the "deadline" is simply there to serve as an incentive for people to upgrade before then... and at the very last moment or perhaps soon afterward it will be announced that the free upgrade offer is being extended. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the offer extended to Vista, if not XP computers also.

Will they make good on their promise to cut people off in Summer, 2016?

"Sorry, we warned you, Windows 10 ain't free anymore."

If this upgrade is only free through July 29, 2016, Microsoft does have to be a bit pushy about it, otherwise everyone hear knows that there will be people complaining that they never saw anything or knew what to do before the free upgrade period ended. I'm not saying what Microsoft is doing now is the best way but it's something that needs to be plainly obvious and attention grabbing.

Now if this indeed does become a free upgrade permanently then I'd be much more critical as the nagging wouldn't really have any purpose other than to get the install base of 10 upgrade as fast as possible. And Microsoft has clearly stated that's what it's trying to do to get developers interested in universal apps.

Doubt it, I just don't see them switching gears from trying to get everyone on Windows 10 to removing that option so quickly. More likely, the "deadline" is simply there to serve as an incentive for people to upgrade before then... and at the very last moment or perhaps soon afterward it will be announced that the free upgrade offer is being extended. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the offer extended to Vista, if not XP computers also.

I think it all depends on the what the numbers look like. The pushiness for now at least serves some purpose, to get people to upgrade before times up. And there are plenty of people that have and want to upgrade and be fine with it.

But if this ends up being permanently free then that makes the nagging look worse as I said easier.

As far as upgrading XP and Vista machines. Doubt it. The hardware is too old for XP and Vista's market share is pretty tiny in addition to 6+ year old hardware.

That's not a forced upgrade, that is people clicking on stuff without reading it.

You mean like a lot of malware tries to get the user to do?

I like the message, I don't like the way they are going about spreading it. The forums are filled with "I didn't want this" and "quit telling me to upgrade!" and we give them instructions on how to downgrade or remove the upgrade notifications. Yes, the complainers are always the ones that make the noise, not the ones that are happy. But, usually you can see where the majority of complaints are and see where the major problems are.

Ding ding ding. "Hurry, act now!" is sales and marketing 101.

Of*course* they're going to suddenly press release "THE FANS SPOKE, WE LISTENED! EXTENDED BY POPULAR DEMAND!" just before the "deadline". You could set your watch to it.

As far as upgrading XP and Vista machines. Doubt it. The hardware is too old for XP and Vista's market share is pretty tiny in addition to 6+ year old hardware.

Actually I wouldn't be too sure of that. There are still a host of businesses that are clinging to WinXP, was at one the other day that was still using XP and a 15inch 4:3 monitor, so tiny lol. Besides even the few still with Vista are likely still with it because they either cant afford an upgrade or don't care to. But with the recent proclamations to the renewed life Win10 brought to archaic hardware, I can see many adding 10 to machines they need to dust off. And well for MS, the more the merrier.

But with the recent proclamations to the renewed life Win10 brought to archaic hardware, I can see many adding 10 to machines they need to dust off. And well for MS, the more the merrier.

There's a point of diminishing returns regardless. It's 2016, Windows XP support on the consumer side ended nearly two years ago and it's now FIFTEEN years old. In tech terms that's Methuselah squared. Vista, which holds small market share, is nine years old this month. Windows 7 is by far the sweet spot for Microsoft to get converted to 10. XP and Vista are simply too old to worry about. No one is running those OSes for any reason but their age.

Running windows 10 with minimal issues. Dell wifi drivers were an issue but I'm not running a dell machine anymore. Sata pcie card wouldn't work on win10 so i got a new one that does.

I can't be the only one that prefers the task manager of win10 over 8.1 or 7. i like seeing my disk read/writes.

MSFT lost any chance of getting me to upgrade to Windows 10 when they backported the privacy-invading 'telemetry' fluff and 'accidentally' upgraded Windows 7 systems to Windows 10 without asking permission. I'm running Windows 7 now with Spybot Anti-Beacon to weed out the telemetry malware and GWX Control Panel to keep any traces of Windows 10 off my system.

I know Windows 10, since I have had it running in a VM since 2014's first Developer Previews. I didn't care much about it since I think it looks hideous, has worse functionality (control panel in particular) and generally felt unpleasant to deal with, but at this point it's my complete distrust of anything that Microsoft might do to me, as one of their customers, without bothering to ask me whether I'm okay with it.

I wonder whether my Windows 10 VMs are also among these '200 million'...

MSFT lost any chance of getting me to upgrade to Windows 10 when they backported the privacy-invading 'telemetry' fluff and 'accidentally' upgraded Windows 7 systems to Windows 10 without asking permission. I'm running Windows 7 now with Spybot Anti-Beacon to weed out the telemetry malware and GWX Control Panel to keep any traces of Windows 10 off my system.

I know Windows 10, since I have had it running in a VM since 2014's first Developer Previews. I didn't care much about it since I think it looks hideous, has worse functionality (control panel in particular) and generally felt unpleasant to deal with, but at this point it's my complete distrust of anything that Microsoft might do to me, as one of their customers, without bothering to ask me whether I'm okay with it.

I wonder whether my Windows 10 VMs are also among these '200 million'...
I think people seem to mix up the setting panel with the control panel. The actual control panel is the same thing as it was in 7.

I think he might be alluding to the ongoing removal of settings from the control panel and their worse usability replacements in the settings panel.

still I'm not upgrading my other pc its staying on windows 8, have to keep hiding the windows 10 update tho.

might even downgrade this one if anything major goes wrong and I have to reinstall windows.

Control Panel is there in the system 32 folder. I created a shortcut on the desktop for it when I was trying out 10.
I put 10 on a computer that was stuck with Win 8.1. I had Classic shell on it and in putting 10 on it the classic shell was still there and made a normal windows 7 start menu. I think it is available for download for windows 10. The settings folder was not there so I found it and added it back in to the start menu.

Windows 10 is not an UPGRADE for windows 7 but I hope they keep it up. I am making money taking it off windows 7 machines.

Control Panel is there in the system 32 folder. I created a shortcut on the desktop for it when I was trying out 10.
I put 10 on a computer that was stuck with Win 8.1. I had Classic shell on it and in putting 10 on it the classic shell was still there and made a normal windows 7 start menu. I think it is available for download for windows 10. The settings folder was not there so I found it and added it back in to the start menu.

Windows 10 is not an UPGRADE for windows 7 but I hope they keep it up. I am making money taking it off windows 7 machines.

But 10 is bigger than 7! It should be 3x better then 7! 😁
200 million installs... How many hate it but since it's on the machine won't change it? How many classic she'll users? How many have changed it? That number means nothing.
I bet that number is way lower.
I dont mind 8.1 with classic shell, but 7 still is better. Have not tried 10. It hold no interest.
It's sad but until I have to upgrade I am fine.

As I keep pointing out, 10 uptake continues to slow. Surprise to no one, December was no exception - as even less people upgraded than the month prior. And this despite the trojan pop-up nagware tricking unsuspecting people into upgrading, and new retail PC's purchased during holidays having 10 pre-installed.

Maybe instead of gotcha tactics and shooting perception in the foot by not giving customers a WORKING telemetry off switch, they instead should have made the new windows a little more compelling, with innovative new must-have features that make people go "ooh I want that". Maybe Windows 11.

http://betanews.com/2016/01/01/desp...tactics-windows-10s-growth-continues-to-slow/

As I keep pointing out, 10 uptake continues to slow. Surprise to no one, December was no exception - as even less people upgraded than the month prior. And this despite the trojan pop-up nagware tricking unsuspecting people into upgrading, and new retail PC's purchased during holidays having 10 pre-installed.

Maybe instead of gotcha tactics and shooting perception in the foot by not giving customers a WORKING telemetry off switch, they instead should have made the new windows a little more compelling, with innovative new must-have features that make people go "ooh I want that". Maybe Windows 11.

http://betanews.com/2016/01/01/desp...tactics-windows-10s-growth-continues-to-slow/

Interesting. GS Stat Counter, which I know some don't think it as accurate as Netmarketshare, had been showing the same slow down in 10's adoption rate. But this month GS Stat Counter showed an acceleration which would actually be the historical norm for this time of year for a new version of Windows that's not yet gained traction in the enterprise as more people are at home versus work plus new PCs coming online from holiday sales. A pretty healthy 1.66% uptick for 10 in December versus 1.18% in November.

The hard data to see which one of these is more correct should present itself in PC sales numbers. If they were bad then Netmarketshare would probably have it more correct, if there were good then GS Stat Counter would probably be more accurate for December. This would have been the first month that I would have thought that new PC sales would be the bulk of Windows 10 deployments versus the upgrade.

In any case, lots of numbers will be forthcoming in sales and financial reports this month, should be interesting.

There's a point of diminishing returns regardless. It's 2016, Windows XP support on the consumer side ended nearly two years ago and it's now FIFTEEN years old. In tech terms that's Methuselah squared. Vista, which holds small market share, is nine years old this month. Windows 7 is by far the sweet spot for Microsoft to get converted to 10. XP and Vista are simply too old to worry about. No one is running those OSes for any reason but their age.

XP may be nearly 15 years old now but in no way does that mean every computer that is running XP is that old. Vista had downgrade rights to XP, and new computers were still being sold with XP up to and even through the release of Windows 7. Win10 already runs scans to ensure hardware compatibility before it allows an upgrade. Obviously many XP computers wouldn't make sense to upgrade, but there are definitely many out there where it would be a great option.

Vista would be even easier. Vista is when Microsoft began their huge push for 64-bit. Mainly, they would not allow hardware manufacturers to make 32-bit Vista drivers without also making a 64-bit driver. As hated as Vista was, it was a big reason as to why 64-bit drivers can often be found for older hardware. For that same reason, the vast majority of Vista computers would work just fine with Windows 10.

XP may be nearly 15 years old now but in no way does that mean every computer that is running XP is that old. Vista had downgrade rights to XP, and new computers were still being sold with XP up to and even through the release of Windows 7. Win10 already runs scans to ensure hardware compatibility before it allows an upgrade. Obviously many XP computers wouldn't make sense to upgrade, but there are definitely many out there where it would be a great option.

There are certainly many XP machines that could be upgraded to 10 but Microsoft ended consumer support for XP nearly two years ago so I don't see them going back to do the engineering work for an in place upgrade.

Vista would be even easier. Vista is when Microsoft began their huge push for 64-bit. Mainly, they would not allow hardware manufacturers to make 32-bit Vista drivers without also making a 64-bit driver. As hated as Vista was, it was a big reason as to why 64-bit drivers can often be found for older hardware. For that same reason, the vast majority of Vista computers would work just fine with Windows 10.

Vista would be easier technically but the return is even less there considering its market share.

MS offered free upgrades to Win 10 when released. I don't know why a person with a modern PC would not want to upgrade to 10?

MS offered free upgrades to Win 10 when released. I don't know why a person with a modern PC would not want to upgrade to 10?
An upgrade means its better. I would not say any after 7 are really upgrades.

When DX12 is needed then an "upgrade" might/will be needed.(for me at least)
Win 8.1 is ok with classic shell to make it like win 7.

An upgrade means its better. I would not say any after 7 are really upgrades.

Better is in the eye of the beholder. If one is just interested in classic PC functionality and desktop apps Windows 7 still does the job. The controversial parts of Windows 10 involve mobile functionality, touch and tablet apps, curated app store, data sharing and leverage that powers many mobile features. Even if you're a conventional PC user there are some additions. Been watching most of my college football over the holidays using the WatchESPN app. Works quite a bit better than the web site and is both touch and KBM friendly.

This confirms that Windows 10 is a great OS.

Wait, no. Actually it confirms that there is 200 million people out there who will click on pop up ads if it says "click here, for free shit"

If GWX would install linux instead of W10, then we would be here reading that linux has hit 200 million installs.

Really? Are you trolling, or lived under a rock for the past year?

Back