Windows 10 Surpasses 200 Million Installs

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this website, Windows 10 installations has surpassed the two hundred million mark. Pretty impressive if true, even for a free OS.

Microsoft announced back in October that Windows 10 had surpassed 110 million installations worldwide, which for October was an impressive achievement. But that was over 3 months ago, and since 2015 is coming to a close, we thought now was probably a good time to check in on that install count. Last time I checked, 120 million was the number. According to my contacts, Windows 10 has now been installed on over 200 million devices worldwide.

Looks like this is going to be a day of high posting for me. :D /jk I have upgraded to each successive OS more or less as they come out and have been able to relegate the older OS to a virtual machine. (Except Windows 8.1 but that is because I do not have a key to use for that.) I have been on Windows 10 as my primary OS since June and see no reason to go back.

I have occasionally installed Linux as my primary OS on a spare SSD but, I never really stay there because of it's limitations. I am in IT and Windows is the predominate OS in the industry. However, Linux works quite well in a Virtual Machine anyways.

Windows 10 gets more annoying as it updates.... Installing apps I do not want and the network browsing sucks BIG TEXAN COCK...

I went back to 7 and use GWX control panel to keep it from upgrading again. Maybe in a year once we figure out what this thing turns into over time...

Not a surprise considering their process of getting more and more aggressive with forcing the upgrade down peoples throats. I know several who have done the upgrade without even knowing what it was, only to reach out to me complaining because the screen looks different.

Not a surprise considering their process of getting more and more aggressive with forcing the upgrade down peoples throats. I know several who have done the upgrade without even knowing what it was, only to reach out to me complaining because the screen looks different.

That's not a forced upgrade, that is people clicking on stuff without reading it.

Yeah,

I just cannot get into Windows 10. I've tried. Everything was moved around, reminds me too much of Windows 8 and I especially do not like all the data collecting they are doing across the board.

I'm more than happy with Windows 7. I'll be a hold out for sure over the next 3 or 4 years

That's not a forced upgrade, that is people clicking on stuff without reading it.

Actually, people have gotten notices that popup with a "install now or later" message with no way to close the notice. And people have come back to having win10 on their idle machine having left it on awhile without any notification at all. Tek Syndicate had their laptop do that to them just last week. So you're certainly wrong on this one.

Pretty impressive. While I like Linux more, it won't suit me until they get their gaming act together. I'll be wherever the games are. In the meantime, I've installed Windows 10 a long time ago, and it has been working fine ever since. I actually like it more than Windows 7, because it is faster for me. Additionally, I turned everything privacy violating that I really cared about "off", and for everything else... Meh. I don't really care that much honestly.

I almost rolled back to 7 last night. I encountered the file explorer crash and couldn't look for anything on my drives. Luckily discovered a fix in the comments of a youtube vid about said glitch.

I hate new Win OSes. Takes me months before I can confidently do stuff

I really like Windows 10 now the photo viewer being my favorite program I can download a list of videos off youtube and watch them with a click of the right arrow on the keyboard.
Way more fun then Net Flix which I never subed to anyway.

I wish Edge was colored though waiting on Stardocks Windowblinds to come out it's on Beta for Stardocks object desktop users.

Actually, people have gotten notices that popup with a "install now or later" message with no way to close the notice. And people have come back to having win10 on their idle machine having left it on awhile without any notification at all. Tek Syndicate had their laptop do that to them just last week. So you're certainly wrong on this one.

No, I am not wrong on this one but, I am not always right either. You must tell it what to do and yes, there is a way to close it on the X on the upper right hand corner like it has always been. People are not forced to install it.

No, I am not wrong on this one but, I am not always right either. You must tell it what to do and yes, there is a way to close it on the X on the upper right hand corner like it has always been. People are not forced to install it.

For the technologically challenged, this pop-up could almost be considered a forced install. The option not to install from this screen is not obvious.

It also tries to install itself as a regular update on shutdown. It has nothing to do with people clicking on random things.

Linux is free, how come it doesn't get 200 million installs on the desktop? :D (/trolling)

I have several people that upgraded because it told them to. They didn't really want it, but it was an update, so they updated. Microsoft, as well as most of us, know that people will click on buttons without really reading or understanding what they are doing. Microsoft is taking advantage of that.

I like Windows 10. Love it, really. I just don't like the upgrade tactics they are using. I think that's one of the big negatives of the OS, and it's not even the OS.

It also tries to install itself as a regular update on shutdown. It has nothing to do with people clicking on random things.

Sorry but, that is incorrect. I have yet to see that behavior and I service plenty of machines on a weekly basis. Things may be occurring but have false information will not prove anything.

Sorry but, that is incorrect. I have yet to see that behavior and I service plenty of machines on a weekly basis. Things may be occurring but have false information will not prove anything.

Agreed. Haven't had that happen to my seven personal devices. And, the only time the upgrade notification pops up is after a reboot. No BFD like some are making it out to be.

Correct.

Actually, people have gotten notices that popup with a "install now or later" message with no way to close the notice.

For this to happen, they would have already had to have chosen to reserve it. And no, there is an option to close it, the X in the corner of the window serves that purpose. If a homeless person came up to you and gave you two options, "give me money now", and "give me money later", would you say that you were forced to give him money simply because you were too dumb to drive off instead? Same applies to those who forgot what an X in the corner of a window does.

And people have come back to having win10 on their idle machine having left it on awhile without any notification at all. Tek Syndicate had their laptop do that to them just last week. So you're certainly wrong on this one.

If you click to upgrade, then yes, this is what happens. No, it isn't doing this automatically. It's not Microsoft's fault that people don't read stuff before clicking on it.

For the technologically challenged, this pop-up could almost be considered a forced install. The option not to install from this screen is not obvious.

So basically, when proven wrong about this being "forced" in any way, the backtrack is a sob story about the technologically challenged? Sorry, but the internet is not a friendly place. Anyone who clicks on shit without giving it a thorough read likely has much larger issues than Windows 10, likely a computer infested with malware and credit card info being stolen on a monthly basis.

Yes, let's blame the customer for pop-up nagware they didn't ask for and the only buttons are "Upgrade Now" and "Upgrade Tonight".

People are "totally flocking to 10" Bro... pathetic.

Correct.

For this to happen, they would have already had to have chosen to reserve it. And no, there is an option to close it, the X in the corner of the window serves that purpose. If a homeless person came up to you and gave you two options, "give me money now", and "give me money later", would you say that you were forced to give him money simply because you were too dumb to drive off instead? Same applies to those who forgot what an X in the corner of a window does.

If you click to upgrade, then yes, this is what happens. No, it isn't doing this automatically. It's not Microsoft's fault that people don't read stuff before clicking on it.

So basically, when proven wrong about this being "forced" in any way, the backtrack is a sob story about the technologically challenged? Sorry, but the internet is not a friendly place. Anyone who clicks on shit without giving it a thorough read likely has much larger issues than Windows 10, likely a computer infested with malware and credit card info being stolen on a monthly basis.
I am not sure about that...I saw that window, and my updates have been disabled for months... In fact I went to see if they got enabled somehow and it did an automated crap.

At some point you have to argue that if you are so technologically challenged that you can't manage a pop up window then perhaps you shouldn't be on a PC (there are certainly alternatives from Apple, Linux, and Android for those folks) ... MS has drawn the short straw throughout the past with trying to support new and existing OS versions simultaneously ... I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Win 10 and allow them some wiggle room on trying to push the standard (new version) more aggressively (especially since it is a free upgrade)

Disclaimer: I have upgraded my personal computer from Win 7 to Win 10 and haven't had any specific issues with it (on the whole I am happy with Win 10 and hope that the DX12 stuff comes sooner than later)

Yes, let's blame the customer for pop-up nagware they didn't ask for and the only buttons are "Upgrade Now" and "Upgrade Tonight".

People are "totally flocking to 10" Bro... pathetic.

What's interesting about this when considering the issues that people had with Windows 8 and modern apps with keyboards and mice. How much discussion was there on and on about the lack of a close button with those apps. How in the world would people quit an application?

Yet this dialog has such a button and people still don't know how to close it. A button that's been in Windows application for the better part of a generation. A button that people demanded had to be there on desktop applications. Yet there it is in this case and people complain that they can't get out of an application?

Whatever the case, I think Microsoft just proved just how unimportant close buttons are.

I know this is basic stuff and you guys who are emotionally invested in one side or the other super-hard want to argue, but it does seem sort of like not offering a choice of "no thanks" when the user is presented with the options of installing now or installing tonight. Yes, there's an x button in the upper corner, but there's a LOT of people out there who really would select either one of the buttons since that's the intuitive thing-y to do when presented with a dialog pop-up and it's sort of hard to say Microsoft isn't trying to give an end user the impression they have no other option by not offering an equally sized, pretty obvious button with some sort of "no, I don't wanna" in it. For a company that made computers mainstream and allowed basically anyone to become a systems administrator through big, colorful interfaces that have obvious buttons, the oversight of that particular UI element can only be an intentional one. Getting aggressive and arguing around that point for the sake of having a forum hissy-slap fight seems a little bit silly.

I know this is basic stuff and you guys who are emotionally invested in one side or the other super-hard want to argue, but it does seem sort of like not offering a choice of "no thanks" when the user is presented with the options of installing now or installing tonight.

I don't disagree but as you say, people get emotionally tied up into this. Do you really think the average Windows user cares much one way or the other? Plenty of people will click the upgrade button and go on about their business as usual. And yes I know that that isn't the case for everyone, but I personally know about 20 people now that have done this and I've not seen anyone complain.

The emotional folks are the ones that complain. You're never going to hear from the non-emotional ones that don't have problems.

There are far to many people complaining about having to install it or having it install without their knowledge. I have told two people how to go back to windows 7 and have taken windows back for three others. I think it is a winner for those people stuck with windows 8.1. Personally I won't be using it.

What's interesting about this when considering the issues that people had with Windows 8 and modern apps with keyboards and mice. How much discussion was there on and on about the lack of a close button with those apps. How in the world would people quit an application?

Yet this dialog has such a button and people still don't know how to close it. A button that's been in Windows application for the better part of a generation. A button that people demanded had to be there on desktop applications. Yet there it is in this case and people complain that they can't get out of an application?

Whatever the case, I think Microsoft just proved just how unimportant close buttons are.

Lol. Just lol.

I don't disagree but as you say, people get emotionally tied up into this. Do you really think the average Windows user cares much one way or the other? Plenty of people will click the upgrade button and go on about their business as usual. And yes I know that that isn't the case for everyone, but I personally know about 20 people now that have done this and I've not seen anyone complain.

The emotional folks are the ones that complain. You're never going to hear from the non-emotional ones that don't have problems.

Actually, I totally hang out with non-technical people who expressed various amounts of concern about Windows 10 mostly relating to privacy and to a slightly lesser extent, the upgrade stuff we're talking about. Maybe they talk to me about it because I'm the computer person and it's just conversation, but I do think there's quite a bit of concern among non-IT people.

As far as exact numbers of people, I already know what it means to throw out a nice round number like 20 so I'm gonna not try to count it exactly or even estimate something from my "CreepyUncleGoogle hat of awesome made up people that you can never meet in real life because this is a forum discussion so I can say whatever I want to that I think seems believable" (yeah, I'm poking fun at you for just doing exactly that, but I couldn't resist since it's pretty obviously bogus :p). Anyhow, the conversations I've had that do mention Windows 10 aren't frequent, but the same general concerns come up in them. Oh, and there's still grumping about the user interface too. Some not-techy people are still complaining about the metro thing, but usually just suggesting classic shell ends that part of the convo.

There are far to many people complaining about having to install it or having it install without their knowledge. I have told two people how to go back to windows 7 and have taken windows back for three others. I think it is a winner for those people stuck with windows 8.1. Personally I won't be using it.

Define "Far too many" ... there are over 1.5 billion Windows users ... 200 million of who are using Windows 10 ... some small (but vocal) minority of which are complaining of being "forced" to do the free upgrade ... I suspect that 90% (or more) of Win 10 users are perfectly satisfied with (or indifferent to) Win 10

I know this is basic stuff and you guys who are emotionally invested in one side or the other super-hard want to argue, but it does seem sort of like not offering a choice of "no thanks" when the user is presented with the options of installing now or installing tonight. Yes, there's an x button in the upper corner, but there's a LOT of people out there who really would select either one of the buttons since that's the intuitive thing-y to do when presented with a dialog pop-up and it's sort of hard to say Microsoft isn't trying to give an end user the impression they have no other option by not offering an equally sized, pretty obvious button with some sort of "no, I don't wanna" in it. For a company that made computers mainstream and allowed basically anyone to become a systems administrator through big, colorful interfaces that have obvious buttons, the oversight of that particular UI element can only be an intentional one. Getting aggressive and arguing around that point for the sake of having a forum hissy-slap fight seems a little bit silly.

Arguing about this in a tech forum? You're not new around here.

People are passionate about this stuff around here, which is a good thing. It can get emotional, but most of it is good feedback and knowledge to have for other situations. I like these back and forth arguments. Most of the arguments aren't really wrong, either. People have a different opinion on how it should be. Guaranteed that Microsoft themselves do the same thing in meetings when discussing certain features and things.

If there wasn't a lot of arguing over various tech stuff, I'd find a different forum. You want that passion, that dedication to the product, that love for technology in forums. I do, anyway. At least you get raw feedback and reviews and nothing is sugar coated.

I think it's a sneaky tactic. I don't like it. I know how to close a window as do some other people. But, it appears to be a one or the other type of thing. It's confusing to some users - it makes it look like you eventually have to upgrade.

Actually, I totally hang out with non-technical people who expressed various amounts of concern about Windows 10 mostly relating to privacy and to a slightly lesser extent, the upgrade stuff we're talking about. Maybe they talk to me about it because I'm the computer person and it's just conversation, but I do think there's quite a bit of concern among non-IT people.

This is a lot more emotional investment in than the average person.

This is a lot more emotional investment in than the average person.

Not really. The talking I've had never got emotional over that stuff. It was just idle chatter between friends who are hanging out.

I did notice that you sort of deleted the part of my post where I called into question your nice round number of 20 people you personally know who don't care after I pointed out the flaw in that. :) As a protip, I suggest like photographing a bunch of pet rocks (pet rocks are from the 70s right...that's sort of a thing in your generation) and then being like, "Here CreepyUncleGoogle, these are the 20 friends I was talking about that haven't said a peep against Windows 10. It's actual photographic proof." That would add a lot of credibility to any made up numbers that we won't be able to verify.

Through the art of sneaky underhandedness, Microsoft is doing something that benefits them, not the end user. Their release notes for the updates are all kinds of vague. They reclassify updates as important when they are not, and they use malicious tactics to download data to end users computers without their consent.

The end result is people shutting off automatic updates, and staying with what they have. Having used 10, I find no incentive to really switch off of 7. 7 is supported with security patches until 2020. The GWX can easily be shut off by going through the task manager.

Not really. The talking I've had never got emotional over that stuff. It was just idle chatter between friends who are hanging out.

I did notice that you sort of deleted the part of my post where I called into question your nice round number of 20 people you personally know who don't care after I pointed out the flaw in that. :) As a protip, I suggest like photographing a bunch of pet rocks (pet rocks are from the 70s right...that's sort of a thing in your generation) and then being like, "Here CreepyUncleGoogle, these are the 20 friends I was talking about that haven't said a peep against Windows 10. It's actual photographic proof." That would add a lot of credibility to any made up numbers that we won't be able to verify.

LOL! All I am saying is that in a world where just about every adult I know has a smartphone, it's pretty obvious that most people don't have anywhere the amount of emotional energy tied up in the subject as anonymous people on the Internet.

Happy New Year!

The end result is people shutting off automatic updates, and staying with what they have. Having used 10, I find no incentive to really switch off of 7.

As maligned as the Windows Store and store apps have been, there's actually some pretty good stuff out there for certain purposes. Been using the heck of the WatchEPSN app watching bowl games over the holidays. It's been there since Windows 8.x but it's much nicer on a desktop now that it runs windowed. And yes there is the web site but if one is on a battery driven device, the app is WAY better on battery life than the Flash based web site.

With whatever flaws one wants to point out in Windows 10 the question I ask myself is "What OS could I replace Windows 10 with that would run as well on the same hardware and have the same library of software?" There just isn't a single OS that can replace it. Certainly not 7 and while 8.x could more and more of the apps I use are universal 10 only.

I really like Windows 10 now the photo viewer being my favorite program I can download a list of videos off youtube and watch them with a click of the right arrow on the keyboard.
Way more fun then Net Flix which I never subed to anyway.

I wish Edge was colored though waiting on Stardocks Windowblinds to come out it's on Beta for Stardocks object desktop users.

Can you tell me how you do this?

Can you tell me how you do this?

You can download a YouTube video using whatever method, most of the YouTube apps in the Windows Store have download functionality. Of course you can always use an extension. The Photos app plays videos of a number of types, mp4, mkv, etc. The arrow key in the Photos app will move to the next file in a directory, image or file.

As maligned as the Windows Store and store apps have been, there's actually some pretty good stuff out there for certain purposes. Been using the heck of the WatchEPSN app watching bowl games over the holidays. It's been there since Windows 8.x but it's much nicer on a desktop now that it runs windowed. And yes there is the web site but if one is on a battery driven device, the app is WAY better on battery life than the Flash based web site.

With whatever flaws one wants to point out in Windows 10 the question I ask myself is "What OS could I replace Windows 10 with that would run as well on the same hardware and have the same library of software?" There just isn't a single OS that can replace it. Certainly not 7 and while 8.x could more and more of the apps I use are universal 10 only.
There was nothing technically wrong with 7. Not even Apple combines mobile and OSX. The mobile seems to be backfiring on Microsoft, and I have been less than thrilled with Microsoft's agenda to lock everyone into their software store. 7 had a robust software compatibility arsenal. Touch is overrated in my opinion, as it leaves smudgemarks on the screen, and is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse.

Contrary to Microsoft's opinion, not everything needs to be an app either. Since they decided to deemphasize the desktop in 8, they went down the wrong road and made the start menu a joke. It is still not the same feel as 7, but to each their own....

There was nothing technically wrong with 7. Not even Apple combines mobile and OSX. The mobile seems to be backfiring on Microsoft, and I have been less than thrilled with Microsoft's agenda to lock everyone into their software store. 7 had a robust software compatibility arsenal. Touch is overrated in my opinion, as it leaves smudgemarks on the screen, and is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse.

Contrary to Microsoft's opinion, not everything needs to be an app either. Since they decided to deemphasize the desktop in 8, they went down the wrong road and made the start menu a joke. It is still not the same feel as 7, but to each their own....

The hybrid design of Windows seems to be helping it more than hurting it at the moment. 2 in 1 growth is very brisk while traditional PC sales have stagnated. Apple has seen a little growth however recently. And moreover, the idea of the productivity tablet has struck a chord which Apple and Google getting into the game. Samsung, who hasn't made a Windows tablet in a long time looks like it's getting ready to release one while it seems to have eschewed its large Galaxy Note 12.

Locked into the Windows Store? Not on the desktop. I run Steam and Origin just fine in addition to using Windows Store apps.

Back