Windows 10 "Storage Sense" Feature.

• Thread starter Deleted member 88301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88301

Hello, all.

Is Storage Sense in Win 10 worth enabling? Does it really work at cleaning junk? Or does it cause problems?

Opinions, please.

Thanks!

I have used third party apps for years to automate cleanup or should I say remind me to do cleanup. Anything M$ can do to save me a few bucks is a good thing. Problem is Storage Sense doesn't clean every thing up and is limited, especially when, compared to third party apps. Then there is scheduling and choice, let's say fine tuning the operation. With third party I get a warning and decided when I want to do it. With Storage Sense I assume it just happens automatically. Bottom line, something is better than nothing but I like the comprehensive nature of third party app. for cleanup. The two I use are Symantec idle time cleanup which comes active by default with Norton 360 (comes free for up to 5 PCs through my ISP) and CCleaner Pro which cleans my browsers at closing and warns when other junk needs cleaned up that Symantec misses. The latter has a free version that requires manual operation.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give Storage Sense a go. I'm not having a real problem with clutter or free disk space, as I usually do cleaning manually. Just curious about automating some of it.

Does everybody agree with that? Are they inherently bad about it?

Some would argue that having Norton360 on your computer is far from free but I digress. :D

Personally I use the built in disk cleanup - the most cruft on my drives are service packs and old updates / old OS versions usually. CCleaner is useless to me. And after the malware issue I'm not going to trust to download it again.

Trust me, I don't view Norton 360 as a solution for anything.

Yeah, I use Disk Cleanup roughly once a month. But if Storage Sense can keep do some automated cleaning between my manual cleaning, that's cool with me.

Many updates to Windows 10 require a disk cleanup to remove old operating system versions which are usually up to 3 or 4 GB or more in size. So yes, turning this on is a good thing.

Thanks, bigdogchris.

I really wanted to know if anybody has had any horror stories. I have it on, now, and everything seems fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I want to talk to you about Drive space, you know, shrinking data on a hard drive. Compression!

Back