windows 10 still free?

yes, at least for the 3 pack windows 7 upgrade license i bought years ago. i've been using the same key for a bunch of new w10 full installs of my computers.

Just did this yesterday, old HP desktop with win7. installed win10 and used the win7 key to activate just fine. I've also took a old win7 laptop that i had installed linux on it and used that win7 key to activate win10 on a VM and it worked.

I do a clean install every time a major new feature update is released and it's still free...looks like they're dropping 19H2 in October so time for another clean install...

I do a clean install every time a major new feature update is released and it's still free...looks like they're dropping 19H2 in October so time for another clean install...
And every single time you have to re-install all your programs and restore all your data???

And every single time you have to re-install all your programs and restore all your data???

I don't mind...takes around 5 hours total...I've written down all the steps plus all my W10 and program tweaks to make it quicker

Yes, W7 key still works for a fresh W10 install, did one this AM, no issues at all

I thought that It can't work on a fresh install (unless the PC has previously been activated for Win10). The Win10 installer has to see a licensed install of Win 7 or 8.

Did you log in the system to your microsoft / hotmail / outlook account? If so that machine / serial # has been put into your account and it should work now all the time (for that particular mobo). If you swap mobos, it will likely trigger a re-activation request. I've had no problems swapping SSDs or CPUs but as soon as the mobo gets pulled (even replaced it with another one of the same make / model) and it requested another activation / re-activation.

Win 7 keys still work on fresh comparable 10 installs (ie .. Windows 7 Home=Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 Pro=Windows 10 Pro ..etc )

I don't mind...takes around 5 hours total...I've written down all the steps plus all my W10 and program tweaks to make it quicker
Heh if I had to spend 5 hours per year fixing a mess the OS left, I would dump the OS in a heartbeat.

I'm sure you spend more hours then that fixing the mess Linux leaves :D
You're wrong. Linux is far more stable than Windows and I can choose myself what to update and not. I put my parents on linux for the exact reason. 10 years ago I got sick and tired having to go every other week to deal with the mess of malware and other problems with Windows. After I put them on linux I do one service check per year and that's it.

Having said that, I did refurbish a Windows10 laptop to my aunt two years ago and it still hasn't croaked.

Back