Windows 10 sounds: what the...?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Installed my copy of Windows 10 Pro today. Immediately noticed:

1. No startup sound (even though you check the box that says Play Startup Sound in Sound properties).
2. No logoff sound.
3. No lock sound.
4. No unlock sound.
5. No navigation click sound.
6. No recycle bin empty sound.

All other sounds work fine, so not my soundcard.

Now, 5 and 6 you can actually assign a sound to. The other 4? No dice, even when exposing them to the Sound Properties dialog via regedit.

Anyone have any advice? I can see those being supremely annoying for me if I don't have sound feedback for those.

Never noticed since I always set the sound profile to 'silent' anyway.

The calendar reminder sounds is like a nuclear launch warning.

The calendar reminder sounds is like a nuclear launch warning.

Haha, I've read that in a few places.

I am going to check to see if I can create custom tasks (ridiculously) for each time a user logs into a session, or locks/unlocks. Matter of fact, let me look it up right now on this Windows 7 computer at work. Chances are if it's in gpedit.msc or something it'll be in Windows 10.

So just wanted to update everyone. I was able to get the following sounds:

1. Lock
2. Unlock
3. Logon
4. Logoff
5. Shutdown
6. Restart *

In order to do this, I had to write multiple VBS scripts that play sound and then create tasks in Task Scheduler AND use group policy to modify startup/shutdown and logon/logoff scripts to trigger them. The only one that doesn't work properly is the restart script. The sound plays, but then the computer hangs and it never actually restarts. Funny that when I shutdown using the same VBS script, it works. Probably because a restart is not a shutdown.

Also, I was completely unable to get Windows Startup sound to work at all. Nothing I could do to get it working.

Fast Boot is actually just kernel hibernation so I don't agree that it's ridiculous. I always disable Fast Boot anyways since I want true shut downs.

Well, I mean, it really didn't make much of a difference, if at all, on my SSD. And I even tried disabling it to get the sound to play, and that didn't work either.

Why don't you just disable all OS sounds, that's what I do. They're annoying.

Back