Windows 10: Sometimes Game Resolution Change Results in All Screens Black?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey,

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thus far it seems intermittent, so I am having a tough time narrowing it down. Not sure if it is an Nvidia issue, or a Windows 10 issue, etc.

Sometimes when changing resolution for games. (either game launches, or change video settings in game, or alt-tab out of game to desktop, or quitting a game to desktop, etc. etc.) I wind up with all screens going black and "no signal" errors.

In fact, the resolution doesn't even have to change, for instance, quitting a game at 3840x2160 and going to a 3840x2160 desktop can sometimes cause it.

It's not just the monitor active in the game that goes blank and shows no signal, but ALL monitors connected to the system.

The computer is still running normally (I can tell by being able to chat with folks on teamspeak3 for instance) and I can shut it down cleanly by tapping the power button once, but I can't get the screens back until I reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this, or heard of it, and maybe know how to fix?

Specs are my desktop in sig.

Nothing has changed since I was on Windows8.1, and it worked fine.

I am having the occasional black screen issue too. It seems to happen when im running the game in windowed mode but Its not my active window while launching. When I go back to the game after it loads the screen just goes black.

Same here and it took forever to figure out how to get it to unfuck itself. I ended up having to do the "Win + P" to change to "duplicate" and then I was able to get the task manager on screen to close the game that blacked my screens.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Hopefully this means it will be fixed at some point!

Same here and it took forever to figure out how to get it to unfuck itself. I ended up having to do the "Win + P" to change to "duplicate" and then I was able to get the task manager on screen to close the game that blacked my screens.

This trick will come in handy. Thus far I have been shutting the computer down by tapping the power button once, and then booting again. Thanks for that!

It would be interesting to try to figure out what specs/configurations/games we all have in common :p

I had this happen in Alan Wake on the very first day of using Windows 10. It has not happened since in Alan Wake or any other game.

I get this sometimes in windows 8.1. Sometimes just alt tabbing out of game causes this. Only had this problem since going to a 980ti my 770's did not do this (though there were other odd problems on occasion). Sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del or windows key to get to task manager to kill the game, sometimes a reboot is needed. This can also happen if I turn the monitor off when on the windows desktop, come back and blank screen, whereas if I leave a game running it does not happen.

Sometimes I will get auto tab to desktop, but I think it was stupid Precision update.

The most recent error I received was when I launched into a CSGO game. The error was something like, could not display Courier New text...or something. I thought it was weird. Relaunched game fine though.

I've been experiencing this too alt tabbing out of Witcher 3. Stopped happening after 1.08 patch. Did the upgrade from win 7 to win 10.

not sure if related but when I try to launch dota 2 (not the reborn version, that starts fine) my screen blinks like 5 times then stays black and I have to alt tab to desktop and back into the game to get it working.. anyone else ?

Back