Windows 10! Shut the HELL down already!!!

Mut1ny

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to keep my cool here but I'm honestly losing my fucking mind over this shit. Dudes, so sick of waking up in the middle of the night with my PC still on because some fucking program like DS4Windows or Steam or some other bullshit can't end properly or WHATEVER Windows and these programs are doing.

Seriously, I'm sitting here clicking "Shut Down" only for DS4Windows to somehow prevent my PC from powering off. Honestly typing this with the "End Program" box in the background.

I've hit cancel on it's "End Program" box like 10 times in a row just to see what happens...keeps coming back each time I hit restart. I just wanna know WHY is it that the Windows OPERATING SYSTEM can NOT seem to close A FUCKING PROGRAM THAT I CAN BY PRESSING A GODDAMN RED X IN THE CORNER OF THE PROGRAM AND DO IT MYSELF?!

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON AND WHY WON'T WINDOWS SHUT THE FUCK DOWN WHEN I TELL IT TO SHUT THE FUCK DOWN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I've done all I can...I've down the whole reg tweaks. Outside of just pulling the damn power cable or FORCING my PC off what the fuck can I do to make sure my shit just shuts down when I tell it to shut down?

I mean, I'm in like maniacal tears over here because this is just so fucking unnecessary. SHUT DOWN GODDAMMIT!!!

/rant /advice /whencanwestopusingWindowsalready?

haha ok..settle down. You agreed to the terms of service ;) I remember that windows actually during installation did not reckognize "the red X" as close , but a "ok you have agreed by clicking the X" Do you have any USB devices that could be waking the comp up?

Sounds like you might have malware or a virus on your PC. Not hard to do.

You might also be one of those guys that doesn't keep his/her startup programs in check which I think is the issue here.

But I will give this a shot at trying to help you.

First, and I tell everyone this, you do not need programs running at startup that you are not going to run.

You absolutely do not need steam running at startup and 90% of the other programs that want to run in the background. It chews into memory and gives these programs free range so to speak. Only launch them as you need them. They do not need to be in some god dang holding pattern in the background, ever.

To take a look a what you have running at startup just type this into your startup search box "msconfig"'

From there uncheck anything that you do not need running 24/7. Which will be 90% of the shit on that list. What you want to keep enabled are programs like Audio, Input, etc etc. Sometimes people like to keep Skype rolling full time so they don't forget to launch it ( like me ) etc etc

Now, if you have a crap internet connection and a lot of games and you want Steam to be working for you around the clock with automatic updates then I can see someone wanting to leave that enabled.

Also, you might want to consider getting you a lite version of windows 10. There are several out there, do a search. it has Cortana, Telemetrics and Automatic Updating cut out like the caners they are not to mention tons of other crap. Not only that, they have all the BS / Bloat cut out and you get a much much better Windows experience.

That could possible help you as well.

If you really want to dig in you can also get into all the hundreds of windows processes running and also force stop those. There is a ton of shit windows likes to run that you will never ever use.

Start out with MSCONFIG and go from there.

I'd check for suspicious process names and try to kill them manually. If they die and relaunch automatically it's 99% sure you have malware or viruses.

If your car gets a flat tire, is it the auto manufacturer's fault? You have something running during shutdown that isn't cooperating with the shutdown process. As SixFootDuo mentioned, troubleshooting is easy, but time consuming.

When I encounter this, I try to close all third party applications, starting with what's running in the system tray. If Windows behaves and shuts down properly, then you work backwards, eliminating them one at a time. Sometimes, I'll cheat through and eliminate two at a time. Once you find the offender, you research why it is causing the issue and if there's a configuration change or update needed.

I'll also agree with the above advice. I'm a Steam user, but it doesn't run unless I need it to. I keep as little as possible running at boot.

Last edited:
my problem is similar, but the difference is that windows does actually shut-down OK - the computer fans stop spinning etc.. but then after about 3 seconds starts up again.

Your computer is possessed... By Microsoft (tm). :D

Back