Windows 10 reinstall

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Has only done a Windows 10 reinstall from a PC that was originally a Win8.1 machine?

Can you just install Windows 10 straight from an ISO and log into your MS account to activate it or do you need to upgrade from 8.1?

I'm planning on doing a fresh install at the end of the month, so just want to plan ahead :)

For the last several windows 7 fixes I have done. I did clean install of windows 7 sp1 and activated. Reboot then got the media creation tool and made usb drive with it. Installed and activated with out a hitch.

With the latest update, you can do a clean install with your windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key No need to do an upgrade

Has only done a Windows 10 reinstall from a PC that was originally a Win8.1 machine?

Can you just install Windows 10 straight from an ISO and log into your MS account to activate it or do you need to upgrade from 8.1?

I'm planning on doing a fresh install at the end of the month, so just want to plan ahead :)
There's no such thing as "logging into your Microsoft account to activate". I've read that here on multiple occasions and it's completely untrue.

If you have already done the Windows 10 upgrade on the machine, you just need to reinstall and skip the screen for product keys. That's it.

With the latest update, you can do a clean install with your windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key No need to do an upgrade

I just did this but it was a no go. I used the media creation tool to make a new USB key. Then I installed and tried the key on the bottom of an old laptop, a 7 key I know was never used for a 10 upgrade. It won't activate the install. Very frustrated. Anyone else run into this?

I just did this but it was a no go. I used the media creation tool to make a new USB key. Then I installed and tried the key on the bottom of an old laptop, a 7 key I know was never used for a 10 upgrade. It won't activate the install. Very frustrated. Anyone else run into this?

Did you use the 10 upgrade on that same laptop? Also the key may be an OEM key.

I've tried it with several PCs and it works like a charm. Also on a toshiba laptop with a windows 7 key

I created my key for the media creation tool and used the 7 key that came with this emachines laptop, on the same emachines laptop. Activation failed and I'm fairly certain it laughed at me.

Under "error details" it says the key has been blocked? Why would it be blocked? I thought all win7 users were eligible as long as their version was a home verison.

Was it the same key on the COA sticker, or was it the OEM key for eMachines? The OEM key could have been blocked and a new one re-issued, MS is not allowing OEM keys to be used for clean installs, or the sticker key could have too many activations and a call in to MS is necessary. Choose your own frustration. ;)

Probably too many installations. You'll have to call in to activate.

Knew I wasn't crazy. Just read that the copy the media creation tool is putting on USBs is now the July initial release. The November update that allowed clean installs with old keys has been pulled. So if you have a USB key that allows you to use old keys don't rebuild it anytime soon.

Damn it, my timing screwed me.

I just made a new USB boot key using the Media creation disk and it states that you won't need a product key if your reinstalling it to the same PC...which is a god send for me now since I can't find my effing Windows 8.1 product key I bought when I built the system.

Back