Windows 10 Redstone 2 Will Be Released In April

Loving Windows 10, nice and stable and I just get shit done and don't even think about the OS. Oh wait, no one will think I'm cool, I mean "Windows 10 is the devil, f*** MS!!!!"

Loving Windows 7, nice and stable and I just get shit done and don't even think about the OS. Also I don't have to worry about my policies and control being taken away from me randomly when I specifically paid for them.

All that said, I know what you are saying and I liked win 10 just fine. I ran it for a while and was fully in support of most of what it was trying to do. Where MS crossed the line is when they turned Pro edition into a slightly less shitty Home edition. That was Not Ok and what caused me to uninstall it off my main rig. Not all of us who hate win 10 are just doing it to "be cool and hate MS". I like MS just fine, I hate company decisions that negatively affect me and have no business being pushed.

How many times do we get better dpi support until they get it right? Windows 10's first release was supposed to fix those basic issues.

If the data mining is about new revenue steams as Microsoft claims, why not release a "Premium" version of Windows 10 (at a higher cost of course) that has NO "telemetry" or at least the fully sanctioned right to turn it all 100% off.

Microsoft has never made this claim. There's two parts to the data collection. The diagnostic telemetry, some of which has been around for a long time with things like Windows Defender and the Malicious Software Removal Tool, is really just that, data to know technical things, like what malware is out there and just how machines are functioning. Things that aren't easily with simple end user reporting. Then there's actual functionality, like Cortana, that can do things and those things be shared across multiple devices. The problem with much of this discussion is that people seem to think that telemetry = spying and that there's no other legitimate reason to collect data. There is a balance here. I get that people just want to turn it all off. But then there's also the modern world. If you were a developer that deployed software across the globe and had nothing but manual user reporting for issues, I guarantee you want more than that.

Legions of end users would gladly pay extra and most Corporate businesses would definitely pay the premium to unquestionably protect their Intellectual Property and sensitive information from being mined and sold.

Windows Enterprise customers already have the ability to shut all of this down. They also have to have in place the infrastructure to do all of this on their own. Patch validation and scheduling and threat mitigation. I work at a bank and if a machine gets hit with a virus, that info goes nowhere outside our network. But we also work with these companies and government and appraise them of major threats we see.

I suspect the reason we lack this "spying free" build of Windows 10 has more to do with NSA / Big Brother cooperation / secret agreements and less to do with money lost through the sale of data mined.

LOL!

How many times do we get better dpi support until they get it right? Windows 10's first release was supposed to fix those basic issues.

Because many of these issues are about apps that NEVER consider DPI. It's a hell of lot better in 10 than 7.

Because many of these issues are about apps that NEVER consider DPI. It's a hell of lot better in 10 than 7.

That's like saying my stool is a little harder this bowel movement than the previous one. Still sucks and some of MS own apps are no better.

10 had a shitty rollout and immediately got lambasted by the press, users, and techs (Mostly rightly so, too!) Now that it's had some time to fix the rollout issues, holy shit, the OS is great! I'm using it on all of my computers save one (Work laptop that had work configured 8.1 pre-installed) and am absolutely enjoying it. Cortana (text search) is actually really convenient and useful in a lot of ways IMO.

Anniversary update just destroyed my ability to run games in full screen mode, making me unable to play games essentially. The Win 10 updater is as bad or worse than what Windows XP had. Bloated, slow, constantly fails, and each update introduces more problems and unwanted features. The updater kills performance and unless you are running a top of the line machine your PC will feel like something built in 2003. Windows 7 and even 8 scaled down much better on low end machines. The updates have been getting so bad my laptop is almost worthless now. I'd rather use my iphone because it is simply taking too long to turn on/shut down.

It worked great on my desktop with a high end i5 and SSD, but again Anniversary Update borked that as well. Only a matter of time until even my desktop will be insufficient to run this bloated OS. Apple is sadly looking better and better every day.

Another slew of broken features to fix this April is not something I am looking forward to.

Anniversary update just destroyed my ability to run games in full screen mode, making me unable to play games essentially. The Win 10 updater is as bad or worse than what Windows XP had. Bloated, slow, constantly fails, and each update introduces more problems and unwanted features. The updater kills performance and unless you are running a top of the line machine your PC will feel like something built in 2003. Windows 7 and even 8 scaled down much better on low end machines. The updates have been getting so bad my laptop is almost worthless now. I'd rather use my iphone because it is simply taking too long to turn on/shut down.

It worked great on my desktop with a high end i5 and SSD, but again Anniversary Update borked that as well. Only a matter of time until even my desktop will be insufficient to run this bloated OS. Apple is sadly looking better and better every day.

Another slew of broken features to fix this April is not something I am looking forward to.
maybe its you.

The problem with much of this discussion is that people seem to think that telemetry = spying and that there's no other legitimate reason to collect data. There is a balance here. I get that people just want to turn it all off. But then there's also the modern world. If you were a developer that deployed software across the globe and had nothing but manual user reporting for issues, I guarantee you want more than that.

No, the problem is people are asking for a Telemetry=OFF switch. People are not asking or expecting Microsoft to rip out Telemetry altogether. Just give users the choice to opt out; there will still be plenty of telemetry data for MS to slurp up -- MS fanboys, little old ladies, xbox playing millennials, technically unsavvy users that don't know better -- still hundreds of millions of PC's with the Default Fullblast Spymode setting.

Ofcourse you already knew this, but are attempting to misportray the issue as black-or-white, all-or-nothing. And that's not the case here. Unfortunately, MS in their infinite arrogance is going to keep their heels dug in until the pain of Windows 7's unflappable 50% marketshare becomes unbearable, and will finally have to relent just like Windows 8.0.

Last edited:
That's like saying my stool is a little harder this bowel movement than the previous one. Still sucks and some of MS own apps are no better.

A 4k monitor works a lot better under 10 than 7 and trying to mix a 4k and 1080p monitor under 7 doesn't really work. As much as people will swear by 7, 4k monitors, who had those in 2009?

No, the problem is people are asking for a Telemetry=OFF switch. People are not asking or expecting Microsoft to rip out Telemetry altogether. Just give people the fucking choice to opt out, there will still be a vast majority of people that don't know better with the Default Spymode=FullBlast. Still hundreds of millions of PC's that will be providing telemetry. Ofcourse you already knew this, but are attempting to misportray the issue as black-or-white, all-or-nothing.

I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be an off switch but that's never been true of everything in Windows for many years now. Windows Defender, Windows Update and the Malicious Software Removal Tool don't work without telemetry and in an enterprise environment you have to come up with ways of dealing with these things own your own without it. It's just a silly argument that the ONLY reason Microsoft is doing this and has been doing this to some degree FOR YEARS is to sell one's personal information or spy for the government.

I've used all the Windows OSes, and I really do try to keep an open mind, but as far as I can tell, the reason 8/10 are hated is because the internet mob beats down any one who doesn't absolutely hate Windows. And it seems to me, that the better Windows gets, the more they attack it on trifling aspects because it is more of a threat to their fantastical plan to have everyone switch to a "real" OS (unix). Windows 10 has good stability, much hardened security, and so on. Except for "free/open" which most people don't give a hoot about, that raises the question, "why linux/unix?" Back in the day it was easy to laugh at Windows 95 and XP, but I think from a technical standpoint this is becoming much harder. So they latch on to trolling about the "store" of all things that you never have to look at, etc. "It's a tablet OS!" blah, I use it like a desktop OS with no issues.
I can't speak for everyone, but since you think the concern is made up, I'll be glad to point out the problems I'm seeing:

Windows 8 = no fundamental problem with it, but many things about it (particularly the interface changes) meant I was going to sift through more crap to get the same functionality I had on 7. The new features it added weren't anything mind blowing for me personally, so it became a "ah I may upgrade to it eventually if there's a real reason to" and was just never in a rush about it.

Windows 10 = Same deal as 8 except holy crap, automatic mandatory updates. This is an absolute deal killer for me. Having my system change without my permission and potentially interfere with projects I may be working on is absolutely unacceptable for me. This isn't even theory. On Windows 7, there are 2 security updates to this day that will fuck up the z-order on my windows making usability a nightmare. However, I can just disable those 2 offenders and use my system as normal. On 10, I literally have no other option like that if they push a bad update through. Anyone using 10 is surrendering control of their system, whether they understand that or not. I have no doubt it works great 99% of the time for the vast majority of people, but all it takes is one bad update and you're screwed with no recourse. Especially if it's one that affects YOUR SOFTWARE PERSONALLY and not others' systems, so MS never fixes it. This a fundamental shift in how a user OS functions and it's one I'm honestly still a little shocked by. I've seen automatic updating screw up other software before. Sometimes the fix is the same day. Sometimes it's months. Sometimes it never gets fixed. In order to have my OS run this way, I would have to trust MS to never make a mistake. Since I've literally seen them do that for me multiple times before, this is far too large a vulnerability for me ever to accept for something as important as the OS.

Anyone who thinks this is all alarmist and everything is fine I think simply hasn't witnessed as many things that can go wrong as I have. It's the same mentality as the majority of people thinking an apartment is fine, but a fire marshal finding it completely unacceptable.

I can't speak for everyone, but since you think the concern is made up, I'll be glad to point out the problems I'm seeing:

Windows 8 = no fundamental problem with it, but many things about it (particularly the interface changes) meant I was going to sift through more crap to get the same functionality I had on 7. The new features it added weren't anything mind blowing for me personally, so it became a "ah I may upgrade to it eventually if there's a real reason to" and was just never in a rush about it.

Windows 10 = Same deal as 8 except holy crap, automatic mandatory updates. This is an absolute deal killer for me. Having my system change without my permission and potentially interfere with projects I may be working on is absolutely unacceptable for me. This isn't even theory. On Windows 7, there are 2 security updates o this day that will fuck up the z-order on my windows making usability a nightmare. I can just disable those 2 offenders and use my system as normal. On 10, I literally have no other option if they push a bad update through. Anyone using 10 is surrendering control of their system, whether they understand that or not. I have no doubt it works great 99% of the time for the vast majority of people, but all it takes is one bad update and you're screwed with no recourse. Especially if it's one that affects YOUR SOFTWARE PERSONALLY and not others' systems, so MS never fixes it. This a fundamental shift in how a user OS functions and it's one I'm honestly still a little shocked by. I've seen automatic updating screw up other software before. Sometimes the fix is the same day. Sometimes it's months. Sometimes it never gets fixed. In order to have my OS run this way, I would have to trust MS to never make a mistake. Since I've literally seen them do that for me multiple times before, this is far too large a vulnerability for me ever to accept for something as important as the OS.

Anyone who thinks this is all alarmist and everything is fine I think simply hasn't witnessed as many things that can go wrong as I have. It's the same mentality as the majority of people thinking a building is a fine, but a fire marshal finding it completely unacceptable.

But this goes both ways. So an update messes up one thing but can fix another. That's the problem with updating software, there isn't a single magic answer that solves every problem. Eventually refusing an update is going to cause a problem. Easy rollback with a some delay is probably the best way to deal with. The delay option in the Creators Update should be available to Windows 10 Home edition as well. I've left that in the feedback app.

But this goes both ways. So an update messes up one thing but can fix another. That's the problem with updating software, there isn't a single magic answer that solves every problem. Eventually refusing an update is going to cause a problem. Easy rollback with a some delay is probably the best way to deal with. The delay option in the Creators Update should be available to Windows 10 Home edition as well. I've left that in the feedback app.
Again, if a bad update gets pushed through that NEVER gets fixed, you're on a one-way street to getting screwed. Might as well just not even use the OS then, unless you enjoy gambling. In 7, I have control over what updates come through and can disable or revert any that do. This isn't unheard of technology from aliens or something. I think there is a "magic" answer that solves every problem, but neither you nor Microsoft are willing to accept it:

-Make automatic updates the DEFAULT option (which can be turned off by more advanced users), so Joe Average's system isn't compromised.
-Make updates modular that can be bypassed individually if necessary.
-Only use updates for system functionality, or security / bug fixes, that's it. No pushing through ads or promotions. If it's in-your-face that's a bad update.
-Don't turn your OS into a rolling beta and lay off huge portions of your testing department

I think the only "problem" that doesn't solve is Microsoft wanting to use its userbase as beta testers to save money and remove control from the user for the sake of simplicity, no matter who ends up getting screwed by it, because they'll be a minority.

Again, if a bad update gets pushed through that NEVER gets fixed, you're on a one-way street to getting screwed. Might as well just not even use the OS then, unless you enjoy gambling. In 7, I have control over what updates come through and can disable or revert any that do.

But goes both ways, eventually one is probably going to need that update for something else that breaks or was broken without it. We do have a history here. How many times have systems been owned because someone didn't update something? Out of date software causes at least as many problems as it solves. I work at a mega bank and EVERY MONTH without fail, we update countless systems, Windows and Linux. There's simply no choice in the matter for us. Of course there are problems. What's the alternative? But yes, better control of when to do updates like we have, I'm all for that as well as a clean reliable back out process.

heatlesssun - Microsoft (particularly after Bill Gates stepped down as CEO) saw all the money Google and Apple were making off data mining and decided they should cash in too. I dont blame them for this, but forcing everyone outside of those who buy and configure a enterprise license to turn off the data mining is obscene. For the majority of Android and Apple users, these devices are mobile. Microsoft on the other hand, is overwhelmingly desktop and server. People (particularly us middle aged / older guys) tend to store their most sensitive private data in a desktop / server environment. Tax and financial data, personal documents / chat logs, pics of kids / family, naughty time pics / video's with the wife / girlfriend, etc. For me and countless others, the desktop / server is a sacred space where we have always had engineered in privacy and security. This has been effectively taken away and NO ONE wanted this (even those of you indifferent to the data mining). I should NOT have to run (dual boot) two different operating systems to enjoy the level of flexibility and privacy we have collectively enjoyed from Windows 8.1 back.

I never claimed Microsoft's ONLY reasons for the telemetry (data mining) has been to sell data to buyers and assist Federal alphabet agencies. Specifically, these two activities were the substance of my complaints about Windows 10. DPI's arguments in his last post sum up my feelings quite well, no need to rehash in my own words what he spoke well.

For the majority of Android and Apple users, these devices are mobile. Microsoft on the other hand, is overwhelmingly desktop and server. People (particularly us middle aged / older guys) tend to store their most sensitive private data in a desktop / server environment. Tax and financial data, personal documents / chat logs, pics of kids / family, naughty time pics / video's with the wife / girlfriend, etc. For me and countless others, the desktop / server is a sacred space where we have always had engineered in privacy and security. This has been effectively taken away and NO ONE wanted this (even those of you indifferent to the data mining). I should NOT have to run (dual boot) two different operating systems to enjoy the level of flexibility and privacy we have collectively enjoyed from Windows 8.1 back.

This is just beyond wrong. I work at a mega bank, the amount of business we conduct over phones has eclipsed the desktop. Every major bank now has phone apps that allow you take a picture of check and deposit it. Phones process as much personal data, perhaps even more, than PCs today.

I never claimed Microsoft's ONLY reasons for the telemetry (data mining) has been to sell data to buyers and assist Federal alphabet agencies. Specifically, these two activities were the substance of my complaints about Windows 10. DPI's arguments in his last post sum up my feelings quite well, no need to rehash in my own words what he spoke well.

Ok, fair enough. But there's a LOT of bunk going on about this subject. Like what I said above. The idea that phones are not central points of processing the most sensitive personal information at scale is ludicrous.

heatlesssun - The younger (Millennial) crowd tends to use their phone for everything, something I don't agree with on principal due to the data mining and overall security on Android / IOS and the always present physical risk to the phone (theft, damage, etc). In my last post, I emphasized "us middle aged / older guys" stereotype with desktop / server. I'm 40 and most tech guys my age (that I know / work with) have embraced cell phones, but would not store financial data or documents / files of a personal and or intimate nature. The point is, I demand privacy and security with my desktop / servers and Windows 10 has been a big step backwards with both, and I'm FAR from alone in being highly critical of Microsoft's data mining practices and policies.

Win 10 Anniversary is working just fine right now. I cringe with every CU. I back everything up to an external HDD, and I do quarterly backups to DVDs. But having Windows hosed due to an update is BS.

heatlesssun - The younger (Millennial) crowd tends to use their phone for everything, something I don't agree with on principal due to the data mining and overall security on Android / IOS and the always present physical risk to the phone (theft, damage, etc). In my last post, I emphasized "us middle aged / older guys" stereotype with desktop / server. I'm 40 and most tech guys my age (that I know / work with) have embraced cell phones, but would not store financial data or documents / files of a personal and or intimate nature. The point is, I demand privacy and security with my desktop / servers and Windows 10 has been a big step backwards with both, and I'm FAR from alone in being highly critical of Microsoft's data mining practices and policies.

Microsoft could do everything you want them to, it would hardly move the needle, phones would still outsell PCs over 10 to 1. I get that there are plenty critical of Windows 10 and data collection. You're simply far to late in the game and not really understanding the game I think. Mobile devices became popular because of the cloud and data sharing, not in spite of it. And again, I've said from day one that Microsoft should provide an off switch to the point of whatever point people complaining about it thought was ok in 7. Though I don't think many complaining about 7 really knew just how much telemetry was built into it.

Excellent FUD you have going there but hey, it must be if you experiencing these problems, everyone is! :rolleyes: The only issue I have run into on any computers is with a slow ass hard drive and that is strictly when something is accessing the drive heavily. That same thing happens in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 so the performance problem is in your slow ass 5400 rpm hard drive.

I have a system that when through 2 motherboards, 2 different processor architectures, 3 different video cards between Nvidia and AMD and did not redo the system from scratch. I have had none of the issues you speak of and have no issues playing games full screen or borderless fullscreen. I rather use my desktops, Athlon 5350 system or Surface Pro 3 than an iPhone, as nice as they can be.

No, the problem is people are asking for a Telemetry=OFF switch. People are not asking or expecting Microsoft to rip out Telemetry altogether. Just give users the choice to opt out; there will still be plenty of telemetry data for MS to slurp up -- MS fanboys, little old ladies, xbox playing millennials, technically unsavvy users that don't know better -- still hundreds of millions of PC's with the Default Fullblast Spymode setting.

Ofcourse you already knew this, but are attempting to misportray the issue as black-or-white, all-or-nothing. And that's not the case here. Unfortunately, MS in their infinite arrogance is going to keep their heels dug in until the pain of Windows 7's unflappable 50% marketshare becomes unbearable, and will finally have to relent just like Windows 8.0.

Spymode, LOL! Good luck, do you have any actual, verifiable proof, not just your opinion? :rolleyes: Also, Windows 7 support is being ended in a little over 3 years, such as life.

Spymode, LOL! Good luck, do you have any actual, verifiable proof, not just your opinion? :rolleyes: Also, Windows 7 support is being ended in a little over 3 years, such as life.

No, an anonymous user on the internet said it and Microsoft has the burden of proof by his standard.

Oh, and unlike Windows 7, Windows 10 works really well at being transferred to other computers. Give a clone from a hard drive on a working Windows 10 computer to an SSD. Then take that SSD and install it in another computer and boot it up. You would be amazed how everything just works, all the programs are there and working like before, and Windows is already activated, at least on OEM computers.

Looking forward to this update since I have not been doing the previews in a long time.

Excellent FUD you have going there but hey, it must be if you experiencing these problems, everyone is! :rolleyes: The only issue I have run into on any computers is with a slow ass hard drive and that is strictly when something is accessing the drive heavily. That same thing happens in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 so the performance problem is in your slow ass 5400 rpm hard drive.

I have a system that when through 2 motherboards, 2 different processor architectures, 3 different video cards between Nvidia and AMD and did not redo the system from scratch. I have had none of the issues you speak of and have no issues playing games full screen or borderless fullscreen. I rather use my desktops, Athlon 5350 system or Surface Pro 3 than an iPhone, as nice as they can be.

The "slow ass hard drives" work fine on Win 7 and Win 8, but strangely Win 10 fully updated does not. Upgrading the slow ass hard drives to "fast ass SSDs" also makes zero difference, even when wiping the install clean.

And I went from an AMD 9950 to 965 with an ASUS board, to an MSI + Intel CPU, to different HDDs, to an SSD, RAM, ect. all with a single Win 7 install which worked fine for about 5 years. I've had more BSODs on 10 in a few months than I did on 7 in 5 years, which isn't what I'd consider good.

The full screen issue is being replicated. I know of two other people who are having the same issues after recent updates. All of which don't run off of "slow ass hard drives", but instead SSDs so you can't use that excuse.

In their misguided attempt to cram their crappy app store down our throats, customers will jump to another OS. If we're going to be forced into using that crap we may as well use an Apple OS or Android, because at least those stores are well fleshed out. The same can't be said for Microsoft's offering.

The "slow ass hard drives" work fine on Win 7 and Win 8, but strangely Win 10 fully updated does not. Upgrading the slow ass hard drives to "fast ass SSDs" also makes zero difference, even when wiping the install clean.

And I went from an AMD 9950 to 965 with an ASUS board, to an MSI + Intel CPU, to different HDDs, to an SSD, RAM, ect. all with a single Win 7 install which worked fine for about 5 years. I've had more BSODs on 10 in a few months than I did on 7 in 5 years, which isn't what I'd consider good.

The full screen issue is being replicated. I know of two other people who are having the same issues after recent updates. All of which don't run off of "slow ass hard drives", but instead SSDs so you can't use that excuse.

In their misguided attempt to cram their crappy app store down our throats, customers will jump to another OS. If we're going to be forced into using that crap we may as well use an Apple OS or Android, because at least those stores are well fleshed out. The same can't be said for Microsoft's offering.

In all seriousness, what are you doing, running an AMD E1 at 1GHz? The only issues I have ever seen where 10 was a no go were on All in One HP's with those really low end AMD processes. (Heck, a 9950 would beat them.) I have zero BSOD's unless I cause them to happen myself.

The full screen issue is being replicated. I know of two other people who are having the same issues after recent updates.

So WHAT IS THE ISSUE? Can you point to a specific modern game that just crawls under Windows 10 or has some other issue that works fine in prior versions? It's not always about being a fanboy, but there's just so much stuff that's said about Windows 10 like this and NOT ONE explanation of what the problem is. Maybe that's why Microsoft likes telemetry?

I understand the current game quite well and have perspective having been a avid user of PC since the mid 80's. The game has always been about capitalizing on trends and making a boatload of money doing it. Data sharing and cloud applications are fine, great innovations (when not used for selfish gains). The issue I and so many others have here is we have always been in control of what data gets shared and this has been a decades long principal we have always had, Windows 10 is a massive departure from this long understood and practiced principal. Windows 10t is preconfigured to grant itself Super User access to my PC, keylog every word I type, every website I visit, sell my "profile data" to companies, use my bandwidth to push content to other pc's, offer no choice in selectively patching the O.S., and scan and backup all my personal documents and content and share this (at their discretion" to the proper authorities?! Again, I stress this is a massive departure from privacy we have always enjoyed and I have yet to meet a single individual when it is explained in plain English the changes in Terms of Service and Privacy Agreements who after hearing this (many recoiling in disgust and or shock) are not strongly opposed to these changes. It's worth noting the examples I gave are but a few of the insidious practices deployed in Windows 10.

Virtually all the the "bad" telemetry (data mining to sell and provide alphabet agencies with unparalleled mass people profiling) found in Windows 7 was patched in just before and after the release of Windows 10.

In all seriousness, what are you doing, running an AMD E1 at 1GHz? The only issues I have ever seen where 10 was a no go were on All in One HP's with those really low end AMD processes. (Heck, a 9950 would beat them.) I have zero BSOD's unless I cause them to happen myself.

Windows 7 runs ok on those 1.6 GHz E1s.

The first Windows tablet I ever played around with was an MSI Windpad with a 1GHz Z series AMD CPU, actually ran better with 7 than it did with 8. Took awhile to finish booting no matter what OS you used, but once it was up it was an ok ultra-low-power web browser/video player.

The most interesting aspect of the experience was just how useless the UI changes in 8/10 turned out to be, even on a 10" touch deice. I found ClassicShell with large buttons to be easier to use than 8's start screen or 10's bastardization of the start menu. There's plenty of space to pin frequently used programs to the taskbar or the top of my classicshell start menu. It doesn't get very much use these days because its so old, but my kids have Linux Mint on it now and it still works fine.

Windows 10t is preconfigured to grant itself Super User access to my PC, keylog every word I type, every website I visit, sell my "profile data" to companies, use my bandwidth to push content to other pc's, offer no choice in selectively patching the O.S., and scan and backup all my personal documents and content and share this (at their discretion" to the proper authorities?!

Nope, especially to that last part. This is getting past of the point of having any kind of reasonable discourse on this this. I've said from say one that there are privacy concerns in Windows 10 that need to be addressed but you're basically saying that Microsoft is just uploading everything on a Windows 10 users hard drive. And that's something that people have been accusing Microsoft of doing for 20 years.

So WHAT IS THE ISSUE?

Fairly easy, just read a few posts above (#46). Numerous users are having the same problem and I already know of two others having the same issues. When you pull your head out of your ass and wipe the shit off your face, you can probably see why people are annoyed.

You're confusing many different issues here; don't lump them all into one.

1) Windows 10 AU full screen problems in 3D applications.
2) Updater that has an obscene amount of fuck ups.
3) Updater that brings anything but high end systems to a crawl.
4) Windows 10 is getting slower and slower over time, unless you have a high end system.

3-4 aren't problems if you're running a high end desktop, but are if you're running the average laptop. Which most of the world does.

The most interesting aspect of the experience was just how useless the UI changes in 8/10 turned out to be, even on a 10" touch deice. I found ClassicShell with large buttons to be easier to use than 8's start screen or 10's bastardization of the start menu. There's plenty of space to pin frequently used programs to the taskbar or the top of my classicshell start menu. It doesn't get very much use these days because its so old, but my kids have Linux Mint on it now and it still works fine.

Really? Windows 7 is better on a tablet than 8/10? Coming from a guy that's been using Windows touch devices since XP, that's just nuts to me. And here's a big part of that, NO TOUCH AWARE APPS!

Fairly easy, just read a few posts above (#46). Numerous users are having the same problem and I already know of two others having the same issues. When you pull your head out of your ass and wipe the shit off your face, you can probably see why people are annoyed.

You're confusing many different issues here; don't lump them all into one.

1) Windows 10 AU full screen problems in 3D applications.
2) Updater that has an obscene amount of fuck ups.
3) Updater that brings anything but high end systems to a crawl.
4) Windows 10 is getting slower and slower over time, unless you have a high end system.

There's NOTHING SPECIFIC in anything here. I've got a Windows 10 PC full of 3D applications. I've not seen any problems. Can you simply say in specific terms something related to Item 1 in your list? Name specific application that's not behaving properly due to the cause you're saying?

There's NOTHING SPECIFIC in anything here. I've got a Windows 10 PC full of 3D applications. I've not seen any problems. Can you simply say in specific terms something related to Item 1 in your list? Name specific application that's not behaving properly due to the cause you're saying?

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Homeworld 2

A simple google search will find you many results. You can't be more specific than this. Prior to update you could run games in full screen mode. Now you can't. I don't see how that is a "good" or "worthy" update. I've been gaming with full screen games for years and see no need to have the damn task bar or window around it anytime soon.

Lets not mention the nonsense MS pulled with the Game DVR again after the AU. You should at least be that familiar with Win 10 by now to know that at least.

Probably going to have to buy a PS4 to run games (that are multi-platform) without a damn border as I don't see MS changing their tune anytime soon. I took them a whole OS to admit they fucked up the start menu / screen in 8. It was so bad they even had to call Windows 9 "10" to further distance itself from 8.

heatlesssun - I'm not going to sit here and spoon feed you to bring you up to date and understanding of Microsoft's Windows 10 Terms of Service and Privacy statement. I will however give you a starting point in which to do your own research into my "crazy conspiratorial claims" regarding Windows 10.

Here is a "word for word" excerpt from Windows 10 Privacy Statement (see below). Read it (carefully) and let me know how exactly is my discourse is branching off into "unreasonable" territory?

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Homeworld 2

A simple google search will find you many results. You can't be more specific than this. Prior to update you could run games in full screen mode. Now you can't. I don't see how that is a "good" or "worthy" update. I've been gaming with full screen games for years and see no need to have the damn task bar or window around it anytime soon.

Lets not mention the nonsense MS pulled with the Game DVR again after the AU. You should at least be that familiar with Win 10 by now to know that at least.

Probably going to have to buy a PS4 to run games (that are multi-platform) without a damn border as I don't see MS changing their tune anytime soon. I took them a whole OS to admit they fucked up the start menu / screen in 8. It was so bad they even had to call Windows 9 "10" to further distance itself from 8.

I have BF 1, it runs brilliantly on my sig rig at 4k maxed out. There was an issue with DX 11 with SLI, not Windows 10 specific, that got fixed. I have BF4, haven't touched it in forever. I even loaded the original Max Payne on my Surface Book 2015 and it ran fine. I'm really picky about gaming, spent a lot on it this year. There's no way in fuck I'd be running Windows 10 if I'd personally had 1/100th of the problems people like you mention. That's not to say there aren't problems, but I simply don't believe at least with games they are Windows 10 problems to the extent some say. There's no way in hell Steam would have half of it's users on 10 if their games were broken.

I have BF 1, it runs brilliantly on my sig rig at 4k maxed out.

Good for you? It worked excellently as well, although each Win 10 update introduced some stutters to the game. This final update borked the game entirely. I'm not in the mood to reinstall a 50GB+ game when I should not have to. If MS is unable to deliver updates without breaking some many things then they should test them for another year or so. AU didn't bring anything worthwhile, and the generic security fixes don't matter to 99.9% of the population. I'd rather have my core functionality back, and not have to babysit which updates are going to break what, or figure out what performance draining program they decide to re-enable without telling you (Game DVR, ect.).

Good for you? It worked excellently as well, although each Win 10 update introduced some stutters to the game.

I've installed and tested over the last almost 7 months on this sig rig about 150 games. I've not gone back and tried all of them with every Windows 10 update. I have no idea what hardware you're running but BF1? It's running like silk at 80+ FPS 4k totally maxed out on my sig rig. There were some update issues with game itself that broke SLI that were resolved last month. So yeah, good for me. And I'm not saying you aren't having problems. But yeah, I'm getting very skeptical particularly about claims of Windows 10 and updates breaking popular games.

This final update borked the game entirely. I'm not in the mood to reinstall a 50GB+ game when I should not have to.

So you blame a Windows update because why?

So you blame a Windows update because why?

You know, I cannot specifically address an issue where any Windows update borked much of anything for me. What I might ask of you though is to consider it. I just couldn't trust 10. I really cannot put my finger on it. But, they've relegated QC out of house now. And, if you factor in things like different languages, time zones, etc, etc. I can see where their quality of past versions is not up to the same bar as it is now. I don't know, it just does not seem as polished as a product as it used to be. Now, I know it's working for you, and that's a good thing. But, I'd just ask to consider that others have had issues with it. I personally, software wise, have not. But, I think I can start to see the cracks in the decision to outsource QC. I'm really curious to see how our business environment will work with it. We're slated to have it rolling near the end of this year, possibly early 2018. And, we're big. Like really, really big.

Back