Windows 10 - Reboot and Select proper Boot device.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
I'd say maybe once a month or once every few months when I install a Windows update or if my computer crashes, I'll hit the restart button and I'll be greeted with a black screen with white text that says:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

This has been happening for about a year and a half, but it doesn't happen all that often so I generally didn't give a damn, but I figured I may as well look into it 'cause it just happened when I was browsing this site.

If I hit the power button and power back on again I can boot into Windows normally - reset won't work though.

Is this something I should be concerned about or It's just a standard crash message?

Also, I have to say, I kinda feel like my SSD (where Windows is stored) has been kind of a piece of crap the past year. I don't know how to put it into words other than to say it seems slow and sluggish. I checked it in CrystalDisk and it says It's fine. But sometimes It's really slow to access information and this crash happened when I was trying to delete 110 GB with thousands of small files in the folder. It's just real slow at deleting stuff sometimes.

To get easy stuff out of the way, I've read of others swapping sata cables helping this. Have you checked out the smart status on the drive? Try also disabling hybrid sleep mode as it sort of tries to save the state of the system on shutdown which can cause problems.

To get easy stuff out of the way, I've read of others swapping sata cables helping this. Have you checked out the smart status on the drive? Try also disabling hybrid sleep mode as it sort of tries to save the state of the system on shutdown which can cause problems.

Yeah, I ran CrystalDiskInfo and it says: Health Status - Good 12% - Temperature 32c

When you get the error that there is no boot volume available, check the bios. If your ssd isn’t showing up there, chance the sata cable and plug it into a different ssd port on your montherboard. If it still doesn’t recognize it in bios, your ssd is toast.

When you get the error that there is no boot volume available, check the bios. If your ssd isn’t showing up there, chance the sata cable and plug it into a different ssd port on your montherboard. If it still doesn’t recognize it in bios, your ssd is toast.

Well, I don't know if I'll be able to F12 into my bios from that screen, and when I restart my computer, it pretty much instantly goes to that screen so I'm not sure if I can get to the bios when this happens. I'll have to try it next time I suppose.

If I power on/off it just bypasses that boot device screen.

So people are thinking the SATA cable is fucked or maybe the SSD port on the MB is fucked?

I had an SSD die on me once. Like, it just happened, BOOM. No warning, no error message, nada. I was pretty POed. :mad:

For windows users, typically if the boot drive breaks they go all helpless. The computer is "broken" :D

I have had very good experiences with using the image backup system in windows. I started relying on it when I was distro jumping a lot and needed to get my system back to windows. I have several image backups on an external ssd so going from completely broken to 100% back up and running takes under 10 minutes with 2-3 clicks. Works fine for hard drive migration too.

Just dealt with a laptop that could not find the UEFI 10 install it had just run until I updated the BIOS.. Food for thought!

For windows users, typically if the boot drive breaks they go all helpless. The computer is "broken" :D
I wasn't helpless. I just had to waste a day of my life installing the OS and then all the apps on my wife's system. I keep track of all installed apps including their serials and keys,usng an MS Access database. So it was all pretty routine, actually. Just not my favorite thing to do.

x509

Last edited:
windows cant find the boot sector. Windows recovery disk? get something like "ultimate boot disk" or get to the command prompt on your boot drive and "fdisk /mbr , FIXBOOT, FIXMBR" disconnect any other drives first. double check the bios disk boot order setup.

Please read rule 4.

So people are thinking the SATA cable is fucked or maybe the SSD port on the MB is fucked?

Given the intermittency of the issue, I'd guess cable or power issues (e.g. failing capacitors on mobo or PSU).

Back