Windows 10 re-sizing any windows open when computer left for a few hours.-

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
Just installed windows 10. Had some problems at first with the video card and the sound card. Found some drivers, got it all working.

However, now, when i leave my machine for a few hours (locked) I will come back and all my windows have resized themselves to only a very small window in the upper left corner of the screen.

Anyone else notice this?

Its starting to annoy me big time.

My screen is fairly large too, i dont understand why it would just give us such a small screen. (LG 34UM65)

sorry to say i have no i have not experienced this. i only dared install the public beta on my laptop. the OS is very unpolished and raw and rushed for the back to school season. i feel it will be more complete in a year as we do have till July 29 2016 to grab it for free so there is no rush to be 1st.

I've installed it on four machines so far and have not had this issue. Do you have multiple monitors and or third party monitor management software?

I removed all the LG apps that came with the monitor and its still doing it. I come back and all the windows opened are shrunk down

I can't say that I see it happen to everything on mine, but my explorer windows definitely do it. Any explorer windows will be shrunk and put into the top left of my left monitor. There seems to be all kinds of weird bugs with non-persistent settings so far in Win 10 (numlock always comes on with my computer but turns off once windows boots, NIC has to be rescanned in device manager after a cold boot, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment).

Did you use that screen on older windows? I get the same crap in Windows 7 with 1440p. It's really irritating. There are some registry keys you can edit, I don't recall them off hand, but they didn't do any good.

I'll give those reg keys another whirl the next time I plan to reboot.

Didn't seem to have any effect for me, and now I've spent the past 2 hours researching various ideas and even after a number of years people still don't have a solid solution, just a good idea of what the problem is (DP power signal). :(

edit: Continuing to dig around and I found one on overclock, if you go into power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > setting: change to disabled, this has been the first thing to me that seems to (mostly) fix the problem. I set my sleep timer to 1 minute and left it for a few minutes and no change to my monitors, then I power cycled my DP monitor and it shifted everything like it normally does but most everything went back to where it was (chrome shifted over a bit). Now I just have to figure out how to keep my taskbar from shifting monitors when it does that...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1235582/dealing-with-displayport-hdmi-autodetect

Last edited:
Well, switched out the cable for an HDMI one to see if that helps, will report back

Well, left it overnight and it didnt resize.

This is using a HDMI cable. I will let you know after a few more days testing.

PS, i did try to disable the USB selective with the Display port, that did NOT work.

Yeah mine didn't seem to stay working for very long that way. I wish I had the HDMI option but I'm using a 4k monitor so it would be very limited if I did that.

Back to the drawing board for me.

Whats weird, is that I used the DP for my windows 8.1 setup and it didnt do this..only started once i installed windows 10.

Back