Windows 10 Push Is Effective, Damaging, Desirable, And Deceptive

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I thought this was just another typical W10 hate piece, but this article actually tries to justify Microsoft’s push to some extent. Forcing your users to install your OS is a little over the top, but at the same time, many would say the new Windows is a worthwhile upgrade.

There really are very few sound reasons to stick with the older operating systems, and most Windows users, both at home or at work, are better off on the new platform. These advantages, particularly around security, are especially important for the less technically inclined users. Those users tend to be some of the most vulnerable to running unpatched systems, running malicious e-mail attachments, installing awful codec packs, and doing all the other things that undermine system security and stability. An operating system that is better by default is especially important to people who never change those defaults.

From the article said:
An operating system that is better by default is especially important to people who never change those defaults.

But it's not better by default, that's just not something that can be quantified because it would have to apply in all situations and for all users simultaneously without exception and I can assure you, Windows 10 does not serve me better than Windows 7 does in any situation whatsoever.

Not even the fact that it's free of monetary cost (not that I paid for Windows 7 Professional either directly, came with the laptop).

More generalities in the form of an article to stir up more shit, geez. :)

One of these days i'd like to see an article about how pretty much every phone and tablet out there gets new OS updates pushed to them in much the same way. Good thing double standards are okay as long as it's Microsoft getting bashed :rolleyes:

One of these days i'd like to see an article about how pretty much every phone and tablet out there gets new OS updates pushed to them in much the same way. Good thing double standards are okay as long as it's Microsoft getting bashed :rolleyes:
Good thing a desktop PC and a phone are pretty much interchangeable to make that comparison work! And no, only minor updates are generally pushed, on Android at least. Full version updates have to approved for download, and even then it takes a second step to actually install it.

Probably the closest comparison is how Apple handles iOS updates (which can be avoided with a little work, but at a loss of other updates since older versions go unsupported quickly). Apple doesn't do that on OS X.

I'm pretty sure it's not a double standard if this has NEVER been a precedent for the majority of desktop users. For the desktop, having an OS that works for you, then you stick with it for a long time unless there's a better reason to change has been the standard since before smartphones and tablets existed.

1. My PC is not a phone.
2. If my phone has an OS upgrade available, NO THANKS is an option, unlike GWX for Windows 10.
3. When my phone has other updates available, it doesn't reboot on me in the middle of working.
4. When I installed Windows 7, it wasn't an implicit agreement to also install any future version of Windows no matter how shitty or feature-regressive.
5. My PC is not a fucking phone.

There's simply no comparison.

In my honest opinion, despite all the naysayers and bullshit articles written on this topic... Ultimately it will be a good thing in that we wont have hundreds of thousands of hacked (bot net) windows 7 machines sitting around for years on end because the clueless users are afraid of change.

I will say one other thing, my damn grandmother kept getting her windows 7 machine infected. Since upgrading her to Windows 10, she has had ZERO issues.

It may well be a more secure operating system now. As its market share grows, that security will probably decrease as more bad folk turn their efforts to breaking it.
One big problem with it as currently configured is the lack of end user control over WHEN updates and random app offerings are made. On the average US connection, a PC doing a several hundred MB download WILL have an adverse impact on other PC's network activities. Ping times go up, streaming degrades etc. While the Win 10 PC monitors itself for a good window, I doubt it checks with all the others on the network before proceeding.

Plus I am getting very tired of companies deciding I no longer own or control gizmos I paid for. Win 10 came with a recent Dell laptop. I am sure Dell paid something for the license and passed the cost on to me so the "Its free" ploy doesn't work.

I am sure that one of MS long range goals is monetizing the telemetry data. At current numbers, every dollar of profit MS earns per Win 10 user by selling that data is over $300,000,000 to the bottom line.

In my honest opinion, despite all the naysayers and bullshit articles written on this topic... Ultimately it will be a good thing in that we wont have hundreds of thousands of hacked (bot net) windows 7 machines sitting around for years on end because the clueless users are afraid of change.

I will say one other thing, my damn grandmother kept getting her windows 7 machine infected. Since upgrading her to Windows 10, she has had ZERO issues.

Did your grandmother have antivirus and antispyware installed? In all the years I used Windows 7 I never got infected by a virus or spyware (neither did my wife's machine), but we have antivirus/antispyware installed and updated. I do have a friend who gets viruses/sypware but he almost invariable gets them because he lets his protection expire.

It may well be a more secure operating system now. As its market share grows, that security will probably decrease as more bad folk turn their efforts to breaking it.
One big problem with it as currently configured is the lack of end user control over WHEN updates and random app offerings are made. On the average US connection, a PC doing a several hundred MB download WILL have an adverse impact on other PC's network activities. Ping times go up, streaming degrades etc. While the Win 10 PC monitors itself for a good window, I doubt it checks with all the others on the network before proceeding.

Plus I am getting very tired of companies deciding I no longer own or control gizmos I paid for. Win 10 came with a recent Dell laptop. I am sure Dell paid something for the license and passed the cost on to me so the "Its free" ploy doesn't work.

I am sure that one of MS long range goals is monetizing the telemetry data. At current numbers, every dollar of profit MS earns per Win 10 user by selling that data is over $300,000,000 to the bottom line.

Yeah if I want a more secure operating system my first answer would another version of windows ..

You would not even have to worry about security those asshats at MS now collect your data from your computer whatever you have on your computer is now stored in another location and I'm sure that many many many courses on security will tell you that having multiple places of storing your "secret" data means more change they can get to it. It wouldn't be the first time such servers get breached. Let alone that they just sell your data as soon as they see it as another revenue stream which makes them more money.

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother

I don't know why but somehow I'm most suspicious of people who want to force me to do something for my own good.

Except for that pesky microsoft infection!

I remember when win95 came out, and so many people freaked. My father for one, he refused for the longest time to upgrade.
Win10 has been an excellent OS for me at home and at work. I had to update a terminal this weekend. This usually involves a long reinstall process on the new PC. So, i decided to upgrade the old machine to win10, and then transplant the hard drive to the new machine. With one reboot, win10 booted up, installed updates and was ready to go. Now, i would never do this for my gaming rig, this options was the time saver. Went without a hitch.

So instead of a nanny state we have nannysoft? If microsoft was really worried about infections, gwx would nag you to install antivirus protection and not about upgrading your OS to one that is worse in many ways, but it comes with a basic, shitty antivirus pre-installed.

Also I don't think upgrading a machine infected with every possible malware and rootkits that is a part of a botnet would magically become virus free by upgrading it to W10.

The only reason windows 7 can get infected more easily is because there are more viruses for it. Don't worry W10 will get infected just as easily as more and more viruses are made for it. If you want to be safe from viruses don't upgrade your OS,install a damn antivirus software.

Last edited:
I don't know why but somehow I'm most suspicious of people who want to force me to do something for my own good.

So, are you more concerned about an OS you do not even have to use than you are about what the U.S. government is actually doing now? (This is a very serious question, not a political statement.) When I think of the book 1984, I read it as soon as Obama said only the government can fix our problems back in 2008. That is what I call eye opening, not some OS that folks do not even have to use.

Win 10 has no redeeming value whatsoever. People are really way to complacent. And pretty much as the older generations die off this will all be "normal" to newer generations. People already post their every detail on Social Media, and the government loves it because they don't even need a warrant to know your every detail. You willingly give it away. The "internet of things" is basically pure surveillance state that YOU either willingly Pay for, or in the case of Win 10 "it's free", whilst simultaneously allowing them a birds eye view of your every move and life detail, down to your emotions, mood, and even your heart rate ..1984 is upon us, Minority Report is basically upon us. It's all real and basically here. So enjoy your Win 10. I actually had a dream the other night about Win 10, the (10) part being ones and zeros IE: Data...get it?

I ran Xp Sp2 for 11 years with no updates beyond that, flawless. Haven't had a single OS issue since Win 98 BSODs. I've never reformatted a single drive in 20 years unless it was a new build and all ran tip top for 3-6 years until i build a new machine.
Which said drives are usually then replaced. I don't believe you need to reformat just to reformat, that you need updates just for the sake of updates, and that trusting MS to take care of your machine automatically is a good idea. It's a bad idea in fact.
But i do run a very stripped OS, no networking, basically bare bones. I use after market solutions for malware, firewall ect that are better with a lighter footprint and I've had basically 16 years of trouble free computing, so i'll take those odds. If i got hacked ever in the future it would be the first time in 20+ years. I would say, well that was a pretty good run. And since it can happen to even the most secure servers in the world there's really no reason to fret night and day about it. Run it lean. Keep it clean. Keep personal data as separate as possible, back everything up. It something catastrophic happens it takes all of a few hours to be back up and running for the most part. I will be on Win 7 indefinitely. And after that who knows, I might unplug all together.

Did your grandmother have antivirus and antispyware installed? In all the years I used Windows 7 I never got infected by a virus or spyware (neither did my wife's machine), but we have antivirus/antispyware installed and updated. I do have a friend who gets viruses/sypware but he almost invariable gets them because he lets his protection expire.

Yea, she was running regular run of the mill McAfee garbage initially the license for which came with the computer. I had installed AdAware at one point to augment that. I have no doubt McAfee contributed to the issue, but despite having that and adaware going she always somehow managed to get some shit installed. Since installing windows 10 and biting the bullet with purchasing her a BitDefender license, she has had no issues what-so-ever. To clarify, not all of her issues were with viruses or malware, some of it was just her randomly clicking on this trying to do something and changing system settings and such. Most of which is a lot easier to control without breaking other things in windows 10.

So instead of a nanny state we have nannysoft? If microsoft was really worried about infections, gwx would nag you to install antivirus protection and not about upgrading your OS to one that is worse in many ways, but it comes with a basic, shitty antivirus pre-installed.

Also I don't think upgrading a machine infected with every possible malware and rootkits that is a part of a botnet would magically become virus free by upgrading it to W10.

The only reason windows 7 can get infected more easily is because there are more viruses for it. Don't worry W10 will get infected just as easily as more and more viruses are made for it. If you want to be safe from viruses don't upgrade your OS,install a damn antivirus software.

There are actual quantifiable improvements in the W10 core operating system to prevent the rampant infection that we saw in W7, do you think all MS developers are a bunch of morons that don't learn from the mistakes of their predecessors? Antivirus doesn't always catch everything, regardless. You would have to be naive to believe that AV vendors can keep up with an entire worlds worth of malicious developers writing exploits. That said, absolutely W10 is better out of the box, but it still shares large portions of its code base with Windows 7. It's not like they re-wrote all of the core libraries. Shit will still happen but there are specific changes that make it inherently more secure. I believe it is the app sand-boxing model in combination with the windows store that is new to Windows 10 is really what is helping the situation, at least in my grandmothers case. Moreover, access to a curated collection of applications and games that she likes through the windows store limits her exposure to random shit on the internet. That in and of itself, really has nothing to do with antivirus but helps tremendously.

Last edited:
Win 10 has no redeeming value whatsoever. People are really way to complacent. And pretty much as the older generations die off this will all be "normal" to newer generations. People already post their every detail on Social Media, and the government loves it because they don't even need a warrant to know your every detail. You willingly give it away. The "internet of things" is basically pure surveillance state that YOU either willingly Pay for, or in the case of Win 10 "it's free", whilst simultaneously allowing them a birds eye view of your every move and life detail, down to your emotions, mood, and even your heart rate ..1984 is upon us, Minority Report is basically upon us. It's all real and basically here. So enjoy your Win 10. I actually had a dream the other night about Win 10, the (10) part being ones and zeros IE: Data...get it?

Your troll bait paranoia is absolutely mind-numbingly absurd. But I'll bite. Do you really think this 'meta-data' collection is limited to Windows 10? Most major electronic devices including TVs, smart phones, smart watches, etc have some of social media integration, ad tracking, whatever. Do you think Apple with their entire curated eco-system is not collecting all of this sort of information from all of their devices? What about Samsung smart watches, or even fit bits that are logging your vitals and such and uploading them to cloud services? Google and its myriad of devices and services that touch nearly every aspect of your life. Facebook?!? Ever heard of SilverPush??

I don't disagree with you that people are far too complacent about the information they do share, but to single out MS and windows 10 for this sort of thing as if they have somehow violated some code of ethics is incredibly naive. They are ALL doing it, and many companies collect FAR more information and are much more intrusive.

At the very least, in order for MS to get the certifications necessary for installs in government institutions and such you can usually be at least somwhat assured that most if not nearly all of this meta-data collection can be disabled. Most of it requires you be on a corporate network (active directory) to do so, but that's more than you can say for nearly every other vendor participating in this mass collection of information. Linux as a whole would be an improvement, if distros like RedHat and Ubuntu weren't doing it as well.

Last edited:
Your troll bait paranoia is absolutely mind-numbingly absurd. But I'll bite. Do you really think this 'meta-data' collection is limited to Windows 10? Most major electronic devices including TVs, smart phones, smart watches, etc have some of social media integration, ad tracking, whatever. Do you think Apple with their entire curated eco-system is not collecting all of this sort of information from all of their devices? What about Samsung smart watches, or even fit bits that are logging your vitals and such and uploading them to cloud services? Google and its myriad of devices and services that touch nearly every aspect of your life. Facebook?!? Ever heard of SilverPush??

I don't disagree with you that people are far too complacent about the information they do share, but to single out MS and windows 10 for this sort of thing as if they have somehow violated some code of ethics is incredibly naive. They are ALL doing it, and many companies collect FAR more information and are much more intrusive.

At the very least, in order for MS to get the certifications necessary for installs in government institutions and such you can usually be at least somwhat assured that most if not nearly all of this meta-data collection can be disabled. Most of it requires you be on a corporate network (active directory) to do so, but that's more than you can say for nearly every other vendor participating in this mass collection of information. Linux as a whole would be an improvement, if distros like RedHat and Ubuntu weren't doing it as well.

It has nothing to do with being a troll. That term is fucking over used and over rated. Talk about mind numbing.
I am certainly NOT limiting these views exclusively to MS and Win 10. This thread is about Win 10, therefore it's on topic. If anyone is narrow sighted it's you. If you used even a squint of perception it's probably pretty apparent that my views and prejudices against Win 10 and these types of things in general extend far beyond just Win 10. Perhaps you could ask what i think about those other things rather than insinuating i am unaware of them.

If you must know, i don't watch Tv, I don't use a smart watch or a fit bit, i don't use facebook, twitter, snap chat, any of it.
I have multiple aliases, fake names and emails, i change my bank account every few years. I don't have my current account number on the internet or my pc at all at this time. I have a smart phone that doesn't even have service, i use it to play Hearthstone and music when i mow the lawn pretty much exclusively, or to read saved web pages or books when the power goes out in the windy seasons. ( surprise almost ever setting, locations ect is turned off on it as well ). It's not even all about paranoia really. It's about performance and battery life, lol.

As far as my personal PC use, i use Win 7 stripped to the bones, no telemetry, block everything i can in my firewall, use peerblock and other such stuffs, do not track, ghostery, adblockers, et all in my browser. It's mainly because letting all that shit through just bogs the fuck out of your pc and i have no use for any of it anyway. I like my shit to run clean.
If a site blocks you from entering due to having adblockers, which is their right, I will make the choice whether i care to allow adds to support them or i move on. Google, not much you can do, if i need information i use it, but i usually just go to where i know it will be having long bookmarked most of my interests.

Of course some things you cannot shed, but I basically see no adds or spam unless i allow it.
I'm not even that paranoid. I just don't want MS fucking with my PC. Like i don't let people come over and fuck with my car. Pretty simple really.

As far as Win 10. It may be that one day after 2020 i will have to install it. I have lightly followed what people are doing with the LTSB versions ect. But honestly i already know i won't be using it for a few years so i'll really only worry about it when that day approaches. It's just disconcerting that is the way things are heading more and more. Perhaps i may even unplug all together, or use Linux or whatever. Right now i don't care. Win 7 is fine for all my uses. I have zero need or desire to upgrade.

Last edited:
Well first off, the ethics of something is COMPLETELY unaffected by how many people are doing it. "They're all doing it" really isn't much of an argument for how right or wrong something is.

For me, I see two main problems with what MS is doing:

1. It's sending data I don't want it to and modifying itself when I don't want it to also. Call me old fashioned, but I feel like the OS's purpose is to allow my hardware to communicate and to run my programs, that's it. The more extra crap that's thrust in there I see as just that, crap. If I'm streaming video or doing a game session, I don't want Windows eating up more bandwidth to send tracking data on me.

2. It's rare that we lose a bunch of rights all at once, it usually happens gradually. Adding so much telemetry and spying to Windows 10 is a perfect example of a slippery slope. Like you said, we now live in a world where "they are all doing it." This is not something most of us want, because we don't know what the next thing this will lead to is or what the step after that will be, but it's in a direction most people don't want, or at the very least, wish to be easily able to opt-out of. So it's not that MS's current practices are the epitome of evil, but they pave the way for something that actually could be kind of evil 10 or 20 years from now, who knows. I mean FFS, the Windows 10 preview had an active keylogger in it, that should set off some warning flags right there.

If someone doesn't want it, they should be able to say no. No means no. Regardless of reason.

Privacy issues are real. Some people want to control their data and where that information goes (even metadata and basic telemetry). Many corporate customers are looking at Windows 10, but are concerned about the privacy issues.

Another big thing - it doesn't matter if phones, TV's, etc. are doing it. Windows 10 updated automatically. It's fine. It's known for that. Windows 7 & Windows 8 wasn't. It was a set OS. If was an optional upgrade to the next version. Forcing it on those people is a bad practice.

That said, I love Windows 10. I won't put it on a HTPC for obvious reasons, and I'd be pretty pissed if it upgraded... But, the OS itself is excellent. I have no complaints about the OS. It's secure, it's fast, it's smart (Love Cortana)... It just works great.

I just don't like the tactics being used for Microsoft's deployment of it.

Reactions: DPI
like this
If you don't like telematics..then stop using all tech made after 2004 basically. Quit moaning and just...quit. Go on!

You can't. It automatically updates... :D

I guess it worked for the US government. 8" floppies are good...

To me, it just reads like bitching because the sky is blue. People need to find something better to bitch about.

To me, it just reads like bitching because the sky is blue. People need to find something better to bitch about.
Ok, then I'll bitch about people who bitch about other people's bitching
No, the sky is not always blue, sometimes it's cloudy and overcast. Oh, and if you live out in LA, sometimes the sky is brown (due to smog that day). :ROFLMAO:

What a lazy overly simplistic way to cast off something you apparently do not want nor care to understand. To me it reads as just pathetic.

Reactions: dgz
like this
There are actual quantifiable improvements in the W10 core operating system to prevent the rampant infection that we saw in W7, do you think all MS developers are a bunch of morons that don't learn from the mistakes of their predecessors? Antivirus doesn't always catch everything, regardless. You would have to be naive to believe that AV vendors can keep up with an entire worlds worth of malicious developers writing exploits. That said, absolutely W10 is better out of the box, but it still shares large portions of its code base with Windows 7. It's not like they re-wrote all of the core libraries. Shit will still happen but there are specific changes that make it inherently more secure. I believe it is the app sand-boxing model in combination with the windows store that is new to Windows 10 is really what is helping the situation, at least in my grandmothers case. Moreover, access to a curated collection of applications and games that she likes through the windows store limits her exposure to random shit on the internet. That in and of itself, really has nothing to do with antivirus but helps tremendously.
No, but I do believe the entire PR, marketing and strategy department are trying to push a windows made for dummies. And as a power user I hate that. I hate that windows 10 has less customization, less transparent, and that they can change things on my computer without my consent with an update. I absolutely loath that. And I don't give a frack that W10 out of the box is more secure than Windows 7, to me that is not a concern. So while it is good for the basic user, it's bad for everyone else. And by bad I mean it's worse than Windows 7. It's not useless, but it has no perks, no tangible improvement, only annoyances.If not for giving it away for free W10 market share would be comparable to linux distributions.

Malware will not come from the windows store anyway, so it does no good to anyone that official peer reviewed titles from the windows store run in a sandbox. It's a negative in fact, because it gets in the way of many things expected from PC apps, and games. And to be frankly I don't care about your grandmother. I care about my own experience and my experience is significantly worse with Windows 10 than with Windows 7. The windows store system is currently so appalling that I outright refuse to use it. I wanted to play forza for ages, now they're bringing it to windows, and I don't care. As long as it's on Windows store only, it's not on PC as far as I'm concerned.

Hate to break it to you, but Win10 is much better for power users. Win + X. No updates taking a lifetime anymore. It will still boot if you place the HDD or SSD it was installed on in another computer altogether.

Hate to break it to you, but Win10 is much better for power users. Win + X. No updates taking a lifetime anymore. It will still boot if you place the HDD or SSD it was installed on in another computer altogether.
Hate to break it to you, but windows 7 also boots if you put the system disk into a different computer. I've done that numerous times. Updates still take a lifetime in windows 10 and you don't even have a progress indicator just a message saying don't you dare turn off your own pc. So where exactly is windows 10 better?

What a lazy overly simplistic way to cast off something you apparently do not want nor care to understand. To me it reads as just pathetic.

Pathetic like your pointless ranting and anger?:hilarious:

I understand it all too well chap. When you get older you'll realise this was all so not worth your time worrying about.

Updates still take a lifetime in windows 10 and you don't even have a progress indicator just a message saying don't you dare turn off your own pc. So where exactly is windows 10 better?

Really? I build about six Windows 10 machines a week and they all update in around 10 minutes or fewer. A full build including updates takes less than 30 minutes. Windows 7? Well I've given up rebuilding Windows 7 machines as they just take forever. Not worth my time financially.

I think you have an issue elsewhere in your tech chain chap.

Really? I build about six Windows 10 machines a week and they all update in around 10 minutes or fewer. A full build including updates takes less than 30 minutes. Windows 7? Well I've given up rebuilding Windows 7 machines as they just take forever. Not worth my time financially.

I think you have an issue elsewhere in your tech chain chap.
You compare installing all updates for a 6 years old operating system with one that is less than 1 year old? Are you freaking serious? How about slipstreaming updates, since you claim to be a professional.

You have to do better than that to prove the worth of W10.

Also you speak like a system builder, do you know the difference between a power user and a system builder? Of course for a freaking system builder the only concern is deployment time.

You compare installing all updates for a 6 years old operating system with one that is less than 1 year old? Are you freaking serious? How about slipstreaming updates, since you claim to be a professional.

You have to do better than that to prove the worth of W10.

Also you speak like a system builder, do you know the difference between a power user and a system builder? Of course for a freaking system builder the only concern is deployment time.

You simply said updates take a lifetime in Windows 10. They don't and you are exaggerating.

Telemetry and the fact that you can't stop it from doing updates and it reboots whenever it feels like it (usually when you are trying to do something) is all the reason I need to stay the hell away. Sure... W10 might be good for the ignorant stupid masses...but then again i've been installing Linux Mint for my tech ignorant family members I and I no longer have to be tech support every other month or so to fix their broken OS.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Pathetic like your pointless ranting and anger?:hilarious:

I understand it all too well chap. When you get older you'll realise this was all so not worth your time worrying about.

How old i gotta be? Nixon was pres when i was born. Worried? Nah. Annoyed, yes. It's clear you understand nothing in fact.

You simply said updates take a lifetime in Windows 10. They don't and you are exaggerating.
You said windows 7 takes a lifetime to update. But you neglected to mention the context. When it comes to individual monthly updates they take about the same time, roughly. But since Windows 10 has no progress indicator it seems worse. That's why I said W10 takes just as long, using the same words you put out.

In the context of daily usage which I assumed we were talking about, it doesn't matter that deploying windows 7 takes longer since there are more updates to install.

Back