windows 10 Pro - largest size disk I can use to install windows on? (Windows 101)

tived

Limp Gawd
Sorry guys, but my brain has gone a bit soft

I know I install windows 10 Pro on a 2TB disk, but how big can I go?

don't ask me why, I am just curious now ;-) I know I should keep my data on a second or third disk

thanks

1605590970766.png

256tb+

Sorry guys, but my brain has gone a bit soft

I know I install windows 10 Pro on a 2TB disk, but how big can I go?

don't ask me why, I am just curious now ;-) I know I should keep my data on a second or third disk

thanks
No need for another disk when you can partition the one disk you have. You'll need to take backups anyway.

Thanks - I did that before asking but I didn’t feel I got a satisfactory answer

this is the best I could come up with

minitool

What's the Maximum Hard Drive Size in Windows 10/8/7​

Windows 7/8 or Windows 10 Maximum Hard Drive Size​

Like in other Windows operating systems, users can only use 2TB or 16TB space in Windows 10 no matter how large the hard disk is, if they initialize their disk to MBR. At this time, some of you might ask why there are 2TB and 16TB limit. To answer this question, let's start from introducing hard disk sector.

Traditional hard disks are always using 512B sector, but new disks often employ 4K sector though most systems emulate a 4K physical sector to 8 512B sectors for compatibility, which is the so called 512e.

win-10-max-drive-size-1.png

(y) No need for another disk when you can partition the one disk you have. You'll need to take backups anyway.
thanks, You are 100% right about the backup philosophy

but the question was how big a disk or disks can you install windows 10 on - by looks of my link above, it’s somewhere between 2 and 16tb, but possible bigger

i was thinking 4x 2tb NVME in a raid-0 - I guess I’ll have to try. I do have a 10tb disk to back up to (y)

thanks, You are 100% right about the backup philosophy

but the question was how big a disk or disks can you install windows 10 on - by looks of my link above, it’s somewhere between 2 and 16tb, but possible bigger

i was thinking 4x 2tb NVME in a raid-0 - I guess I’ll have to try. I do have a 10tb disk to back up to (y)
Lol 4 disks in raid-0? You like to live dangerously :D

Reactions: tived
like this
Why would you want windows on such a big disk? Generally it’s better to keep your data off your OS disk anyways.

Reactions: x509
like this
Why would you want windows on such a big disk? Generally it’s better to keep your data off your OS disk anyways.
I was looking at striping 4 nvme disks together 4tb (4x 1tb) on the motherboard and then add 4 or 8 2tb to two AIC cards for storage etc

just a thought

The disk size limitation is not restricted to the boot disk however. Of course he could use a linux based NAS for storage.

Reactions: tived
like this
Back