Windows 10 Pro Has Amnesia and Wants You Buy a New Copy from the Windows Store

Windows 10 did this to me when I swapped out a bad motherboard around 6 months ago. Insisted for three weeks my key was no longer good and I should buy a new one.

While I procrastinated the activation server one day changed it's mind and everything was OK...

Whenever I swap boards, I just pull an old Windows 7 Pro corporate machine out of the trash and type the 7 pro OEM key into Windows 10. Free upgrade is still working if you install Win 10 with no key then add 7 key later.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...tallations-are-being-erroneously-deactivated/

For reasons that are currently unclear, Windows 10 Professional users are finding that their properly licensed installations are being deactivated.

On systems affected by the issue, Windows is complaining that a Windows 10 Home license key is being used with a Windows 10 Pro installation. To fix things, the system needs to be wiped and Windows 10 Home installed. Otherwise, a genuine Windows 10 Pro key needs to be used.

Microsoft has acknowledged that the problem exists and that some unspecified issue with the Windows Authentication servers is causing the problem, but as yet, there's no fix. The Windows 10 Pro licenses do seem to be valid, and some resolution is promised within a couple of business days.

Looks like mine has decided to forget as well. :(
There's always the future to look forward to, this was in my inbox
Good news — the next version of Windows 10 (codename 19H1) is now available for you to preview.
You’ll be amazed at just how many Windows 10 Insider Preview feature highlights our engineers have already packed into this early 19H1 Insider Preview build, including a more powerful Windows Search, an even faster, safer Microsoft Edge browser, a beautiful new design update, and more.​
The last time I laughed that hard I was doing whippets.

Lol, I activated Windows last night and it kicked out this morning, and I blamed the Ebay seller for this. :(

There's always the future to look forward to, this was in my inbox
Good news — the next version of Windows 10 (codename 19H1) is now available for you to preview.
You’ll be amazed at just how many Windows 10 Insider Preview feature highlights our engineers have already packed into this early 19H1 Insider Preview build, including a more powerful Windows Search, an even faster, safer Microsoft Edge browser, a beautiful new design update, and more.​
The last time I laughed that hard I was doing whippets.

Seriously, why can't they hit pause and take the next year to sort out all the existing problems before they continue to add more mickey mouse "features" and trivial apps that most people will ignore anyway. What an awful year it's been for W10.

Last edited:
...What an awful year its been for W10.

Year?

It's been a garbage fire since I had to edit the fucking Registry to keep it from "upgrading" my Win7 installs.

And that was PRE-release.

When Win7 doesn't run, I'll move to Linux.

Lol, I activated Windows last night and it kicked out this morning, and I blamed the Ebay seller for this. :(

That tends to happen. You may not owe him/her an apology but if the key suddenly becomes active again after this entire issue is resolved, just remove the bad feedback lol

Overwatch and other DX11 and 12 games are on party with Windows now for performance thanks to DXVK.

Fuck I need to get my videos out. I literally demonstrate this.

Hell even the newest Farcry runs like butter.

It's still not "there" yet...especially for VR. Like it or not, the target platform for game devs is Windows 10. You MIGHT get your favorite game to run under Linux (hope you have an AMD card!), but it's a lot more effort just to get the game running at all, let alone running at similar performance to the same game at the same settings running under windows. We all want a real alternative to Windows, but, for as much progress as Linux has made lately, it's still not ready for the average user.

I sure am glad I stayed with Win 7 Pro x64, all the real bugs are gone and vulnerabilities patched out the wazoo.

Glad you posted this, noticed it hit all of my systems as well.

Hopefully they have a painless fix for it.

Fuck. Just wiped my pro install and reinstalled with Home earlier this morning and now see this. Can I charge Microsoft for my time?

i did the same thing, my Microsoft account now says my pro license is a home license , im not sure if it will revert or not

That tends to happen. You may not owe him/her an apology but if the key suddenly becomes active again after this entire issue is resolved, just remove the bad feedback lol

Never left bad feedback.

just best to leave it the PC will still work (don't even run the troubleshooter). if you try and fix it you make the problem worse as the problem is Not at the PC end it was the activation server issue

reloading if you did was silly reaction to this issue

on the note of windows 10 pro keys , HP is really starting to bug me as they last 3 systems i have had to reload are using Single language version of windows 10 home witch you cant use normal pro keys with as it refuses to convert to pro (cant even use the temp upgrade key) and to make it Extra annoying the stupid windows 10 installer when installing silently picks the single language version (have to use PID.txt to get it to force install pro) why cant it also ask when installing windows with a system with a UEFI bios key at my own choosing

Last edited:
FCK DRM.png

MS has this fixed for the most part from what i read, but still seems some stragglers,

Had that exact issue. Spoke to Microsoft, they said there server that handles activation when into unexpected maintenance. Mine has sense fixed itself.

Bastards I reloaded my surface two days ago and got the same error. I was on the phone with Microsoft support three different calls and a total of 4 hours. My last call this morning to them was told their tools are down call back in 24 hours after waiting 40 minutes to get too the guy in India. I broke down and bought and Oem key for 10 and activated.

For those that cant "find" their activation key, run this from a elevated powershell or command prompt:

$produkey = wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey | Findstr /V `"OA3xOriginalProductKey`" | Findstr /V /R `"^$`" | slmgr /ipk $produkey /ato

In their defense, quality control has never been great. Like literally, never.

I take that back - minesweeper and solitaire were pretty fuckin solid.
You obviously haven't played the UWP version of Solitaire.

Mine did the same thing yesterday. Apparently it has been fixed... at least for me.

Not sure if this is related, but I did once have my stepsons rig lose its licenser after a hardware replacement.

Since it was an upgrade from Windows 7, all I had to do was to re-enter the Windows 7 key I upgraded it from, and it reactivated.

Not sure if this is related, but I did once have my stepsons rig lose its licenser after a hardware replacement.

Since it was an upgrade from Windows 7, all I had to do was to re-enter the Windows 7 key I upgraded it from, and it reactivated.
That's completely different. Had that happen every upgrade to a new video card, CPU, memory and even sometimes for storage changes.

Overwatch and other DX11 and 12 games are on party with Windows now for performance thanks to DXVK.

Fuck I need to get my videos out. I literally demonstrate this.

Hell even the newest Farcry runs like butter.

Good to hear! I know Valve is pushing games on Linux and contributing a LOT to it's maturing as a platform for gamers...I would still love to see full SteamVR support under Linux before I switch though.

VALVe already has it in beta testing. I bet it'll rear it's head in 2019.

Good to hear! I know Valve is pushing games on Linux and contributing a LOT to it's maturing as a platform for gamers...I would still love to see full SteamVR support under Linux before I switch though.

VALVe already has it in beta testing. I bet it'll rear it's head in 2019.

Linux SteamVR has been in beta for almost two years now so sometime soonish or never. They may be waiting on Steam Play to mature, considering the market size of PC VR, native Linux VR content is probably going to be scarce.

Back