Windows 10 Privacy Tweak Guide - Creators Update

'm just trying to add a little thought into is all. Some are all up in arms about Windows 10 telemetry but Windows has long sent data back to Microsoft servers.

Telemetry data that until the advent of Windows 10 was purely hardware related information with little to no personal information included whatsoever....

So take a look at Winaero Tweaker. I do listen to folks around here that disagree with me on these issues and that tool does all of the stuff mentioned in the OP and a lot more and is 100 times easier to use. I use Winaero Tweaker for certain things myself. I've countless times mentioned tools and the enterprise config guides that Microsoft publishes that explain exactly how to turn off every single connection to Microsoft servers, even the NCSI and time services. The guide in this OP is based right off that information.

I've said plenty of times there should be a UI for all of this stuff. But yeah, in the hands of a person who doesn't know what they are doing, at lot can get confusing. A modern OS does connect to a LOT of stuff and it's not all out to get you. But even something as innocuous as the NCSI does collect IP addresses.

I'm just trying to add a little thought into is all. Some are all up in arms about Windows 10 telemetry but Windows has long sent data back to Microsoft servers. And enterprise setup has always involved mitigating that. Windows Update & Defender, certificates, time sync, network connection status, screenblock, etc. When people say there should be a off switch for all telemetry, often they don't really know what that all means. It's kind of complicated.

Sure, but I'd rather disable what I'd like to organically which is what the OP pretty much posted. It's not about how easy it might be. It's about how close to bone OS you can get. And, I'm not going to be able to get Enterprise for myself so that's not much of any option for likely a bunch of people here. And the big miss isn't so much that we didn't know about some really, really basic telemetry with the network bang and time services. It's that they've put it in so much more now in such an invasive and intentional manner. And unless you've got Enterprise, which most won't, you must rely on third party tools. And I'm one for as much base as I can get. So this OP is a better option for me. Additionally, this isn't as overblown as people make it out to be. The fact is, they only published what they're collecting on basic settings which is nearly 2000 points of potential data. Anything above basic, we have to assume is more. So all these apps they force on installing is really an unknown. You don't know, I don't know what these apps that I'l never use may also potentially collect. But, we do know that these apps that a lot of people won't use still will get updates regardless. They may or may not run in the background. Further up the chain, Snowden literally proved stuff was going on way above our heads when it came to data collection. Additionally, I'm sure places like BofA, Target, and Home Depot all said, naw, don't worry about it, your data is safe with us. So I'm seriously happy that you can literally live in Don Draper's world of commercialization where all things are perfect and nothing nefarious happens or goes wrong. But overblown or over hyped, yea, not so much.

Sure, but I'd rather disable what I'd like to organically which is what the OP pretty much posted. It's not about how easy it might be. It's about how close to bone OS you can get. And, I'm not going to be able to get Enterprise for myself so that's not much of any option for likely a bunch of people here. And the big miss isn't so much that we didn't know about some really, really basic telemetry with the network bang and time services. It's that they've put it in so much more now in such an invasive and intentional manner. And unless you've got Enterprise, which most won't, you must rely on third party tools. And I'm one for as much base as I can get. So this OP is a better option for me. Additionally, this isn't as overblown as people make it out to be. The fact is, they only published what they're collecting on basic settings which is nearly 2000 points of potential data. Anything above basic, we have to assume is more. So all these apps they force on installing is really an unknown. You don't know, I don't know what these apps that I'l never use may also potentially collect. But, we do know that these apps that a lot of people won't use still will get updates regardless. They may or may not run in the background. Further up the chain, Snowden literally proved stuff was going on way above our heads when it came to data collection. Additionally, I'm sure places like BofA, Target, and Home Depot all said, naw, don't worry about it, your data is safe with us. So I'm seriously happy that you can literally live in Don Draper's world of commercialization where all things are perfect and nothing nefarious happens or goes wrong. But overblown or over hyped, yea, not so much.

Disabling privacy related and advertising options under Enterprise really isn't that much easier than it is under Windows Pro. It's still all enabled by default.

Worse, with every update, Microsoft seems to be adding more of them, many of which can't be uninstalled. It's like if you turn your back for one second, the damn things start multiplying.

They are in a system folder, find the folder (can't remember the name now), grant yourself access to it and then delete the app(s) files. That is what I did on Win8.1 anyway. Then you use GPedit to lock out access to the store.

I enabled the store again though because I found a couple of TV/Movie apps I like.

Disabling privacy related and advertising options under Enterprise really isn't that much easier than it is under Windows Pro. It's still all enabled by default.
The primary difference is in telemetry, not advertising. Win10 enterprise allows you to turn it off without using a third-party program or hacking through the registry, task scheduler, and changing file permissions to deny execution. Since it's fully supported on that version, Microsoft doesn't reset it with every major update.

That's a big difference. That's what I want.

The primary difference is in telemetry, not advertising. Win10 enterprise allows you to turn it off without using a third-party program or hacking through the registry, task scheduler, and changing file permissions to deny execution. Since it's fully supported on that version, Microsoft doesn't reset it with every major update.

That's a big difference. That's what I want.

They allow more flexibility via group policy, apart from that it really isn't terribly dissimilar to W10 Pro.

No. As I just said, Win10 enterprise and enterprise editions allow users to disable telemetry in a supported way that Microsoft won't unexpectedly break. Win10 home/pro do not.

If you don't think that's a big deal, well, I disagree.

No. As I just said, Win10 enterprise and enterprise editions allow users to disable telemetry in a supported way that Microsoft won't unexpectedly break. Win10 home/pro do not.

If you don't think that's a big deal, well, I disagree.

No, I can agree with that. I'm just saying that technically, EE is not the saviour many believe it to be compared to Windows 10 Pro.

It doesn't address every problem with Win10, but it does hit my biggest complaint.

Its a bit ridiculous you have to go through all this shit to maintain a reasonable level of privacy.

Back