Windows 10 Privacy Quick Checklist

WangChung

Limp Gawd
Most of the people who would read this forum don't need each option to be explained to them, but I'm sure fellow field techs would appreciate my quick checklist. Since there's so many "features" that send information to MS by the shovel full, it's easy to forget some when setting up a new system for someone.

Start>Settings>Privacy
General
- Let apps use Advertising ID: DISABLE
- SmartScreen Filter: ENABLE
- Send Microsoft writing and typing samples: DISABLE
- Language List: ENABLE
- Manage Microsoft advertising: DISABLE

Camera
- Let apps use camera: Turn off per app use

Microphone
- Let apps use mic: Turn off per app use

- Location history: DISABLE

Speech, inking, & typing
- Getting to know you: DISABLE

Feedback & Diagnostics
- Windows should ask for my feedback: DISABLE
- Diagnostic and usage data: (optional)

------------------------------------------------------------

Start>Settings>Personalization
Start
- Show most used apps: DISABLE
- Use Start full screen: DISABLE
- Show Recently opened items in Jump Lists: DISABLE

Start>Settings>Cortana
- Cortana suggestions: DISABLE
- Manage Cortana Cloud
>> Interests: CLEAR
>> Other Cortana Data: CLEAR
- Hey Cortana: DISABLE
- Search online and include web results: DISABLE

Start>Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update
Advanced Options
- "Notify but don't download"

Start>Settings>Accounts
Sync your settings
- Sync settings: DISABLED

Start>Settings>Network & Internet>Wi-Fi>Manage Wi-Fi settings
Wi-Fi Sense
- DISABLE EVERYTHING

Lastly, let users now they do NOT need to sign up for a MS Account. Per WIRED:
Don’t Get Tricked Into Creating a Microsoft Account
Windows 10 also prompts you by default to create a Microsoft account, but you should probably skip this if you are concerned about your private information. Not creating an account will keep your activity and information local to your computer, while having an account will create a link for Microsoft to piece all of the metadata it gathers back to your identity. Be careful who you share this with; even Microsoft warns about using your account with third-parties:

“If you received your Microsoft account from a third party, like an Internet service provider, that third party may have rights over your account, including the ability to access or delete your Microsoft account.” — Microsoft

In order to delete or manage your Microsoft account go to Settings > Accounts > Your Account.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
The Start personalization options should be left up to the person and has nothing to do with privacy. Even Windows 7 has recently used programs and jumplists, and many people find them useful.

The Start personalization options should be left up to the person and has nothing to do with privacy. Even Windows 7 has recently used programs and jumplists, and many people find them useful.

Yes and no, but I do agree with you to an extent it's personal preference. However, where I work having a list of recent documents can constitute PHI so it is better to have those turned off.

I just find is pretty ridiculous that knowing all of this about what's being done with Windows 10 in terms of privacy and information being sent out that people still choose to use it. Hell, Microsoft is now pushing telemetry crap on Windows 7/8/8.1 users - they just pushed a few more updates in the past 24 hours that specifically enable aspects in Windows 7/8/8.1 that are Windows 10 features so they're making these sorts of changes retroactive now on past versions.

Also, at any time they could push an update on any version so far dealing with telemetry meaning 7/8/8.1/10 that will just re-enable all the things that people are doing to prevent such telemetry data getting out in the first place.

They've been testing this methodology since the first Insider preview and they're pretty good at it now - don't be surprised to find out that all your efforts to block/stop such telemetry becomes no more useful than sweeping a dirt floor.

It's their operating system, after all, and they'll configure it how they want it to work regardless of what the end user feels is appropriate.

I just find is pretty ridiculous that knowing all of this about what's being done with Windows 10 in terms of privacy and information being sent out that people still choose to use it. Hell, Microsoft is now pushing telemetry crap on Windows 7/8/8.1 users - they just pushed a few more updates in the past 24 hours that specifically enable aspects in Windows 7/8/8.1 that are Windows 10 features so they're making these sorts of changes retroactive now on past versions.

Also, at any time they could push an update on any version so far dealing with telemetry meaning 7/8/8.1/10 that will just re-enable all the things that people are doing to prevent such telemetry data getting out in the first place.

They've been testing this methodology since the first Insider preview and they're pretty good at it now - don't be surprised to find out that all your efforts to block/stop such telemetry becomes no more useful than sweeping a dirt floor.

It's their operating system, after all, and they'll configure it how they want it to work regardless of what the end user feels is appropriate.

1. A real hardware firewall, not the jokey stuff that you get with most consumer routers.
2. the security companies will compete on the basis of how well they can block the OS from calling home.

Well that's fine if you want to control outbound packets with a hardware firewall because that's not part of the OS obviously. As for the software side of things, sure, that just means more marketing BS and more crap coming from bogus software producers similar to the "MyCleanPC" scam where they'll just create more problems than they fix.

My point still remains: with all the baggage that using Windows 10 is bringing on people, perhaps not using it would still be the best solution. I've decided at this point to not support it in my tech support services - I know it'll mean a lot of lost revenues at this point (and some very disappointed clients) but after nearly 3 weeks of making a bundle I think I've had enough. I'm sure a lot of techs out there are just soaking people for every penny they can right now considering all the issues with upgrades and other problems which is sad to some degrees but that's how things go.

Back