Windows 10 pre-installed games wont go away

THUMPer

Supreme [H]ardness
mBzEs9a.jpg

What in the hell is going in here? I right click and uninstall, they go away but the icon comes back. If I click on them they don't even open. Anyway to get these to go away? They are just annoying to look at. I've ran all the powershell commands I can find that relate to this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Could it simply be that the search index has not updated in a while?

Open "Indexing Options" (Start search for "Index"). Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom. Click the "Rebuild" button in the middle.

Could it simply be that the search index has not updated in a while?

Open "Indexing Options" (Start search for "Index"). Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom. Click the "Rebuild" button in the middle.

Hmm didn't work. I have windows search disabled, but turned it back on and tried it anyway.

Just curious, which OEM is that PC from? That isn't part of the default Win 10 install.

So this is what I think happens because I've seen this too.

If you do a Windows 10 install then immediately start clicking uninstall the apps come back because the Store has them queued for updating immediately after installation. Uninstalling does not cancel the queued updated.

When you install 10, go to the Store and click on scan for updates and update all apps. When it's done updating them, then go back to uninstall them. They don't come back.

Another thing to try is to install 10 with the network cable disconnected. This will prevent the Store from ever getting a chance to queue updates. I haven't tried this method though.

I think I used an HP win7 OEM key. It's been a while since I first upgraded. But I've had several reformats after that and this is my first issue with these apps.

Anyway I think Chris is right about the store. I did install without the Ethernet cable plugged in, but I can't really remember my process after I plugged it in. I think I tried to remove the store early on. I guess I can try to reinstall the store, update the apps, and see what happens. Or ignore it and reformat soon. But I'm getting tired of doing that. haha

I'm not on Win10 but it is similar to Win8.1 so go into the Store folder and delete the folders to those apps/games that Windows always leaves behind. I found a ton of crap in there that I had already uninstalled long ago.

x:\programfiles\windowsapps\

I'm not on Win10 but it is similar to Win8.1 so go into the Store folder and delete the folders to those apps/games that Windows always leaves behind. I found a ton of crap in there that I had already uninstalled long ago.

x:\programfiles\windowsapps\

The problem is, you have to change the ownership to get access. Well, I would not want to see the problems that causes.

Can I ask if the "get-appxpackage" powershell command has actually been attempted?
Is the application in question listed by "get-appxpackage" ?

I believe the "Uninstall" option from the right-click context menu only "uninstalls" for the current user; which means it's still installed. Then when it (automatically?) updates, it returns.

Try uninstalling via the Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage Powershell command.
Use "Get-AppXProvisionedPackage" to get a list of all packages that can be removed via Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage.

The problem is, you have to change the ownership to get access. Well, I would not want to see the problems that causes.

Like, no problems? I have access and don't remember changing ownership and there are no "problems" either. But I disabled the Windows Store anyway with Gpedit.

Back