Windows 10 PC The Size Of A Phone Charger

HardOCP News

[H] News
A Windows 10 PC this small is kinda neat but I can't imagine you'd be able to do much more than basic tasks with it.

The mini-PC comes with two USB 3.0 ports and an HDMI port, allowing you to turn your TV into a smart computer. Users can control their TV using Cortana via a Bluetooth remote or headset.

Still more fully functional than a tablet?

I like the plugin design better than Intel's USB stick design. And having it sit on the power is more intelligent too, out of the way, if you need one you can get an extension cord, but chances are your power strip is already conveniently placed. Much better than running another cable for the power adapter like the Intel design.

Not that I'd get either one, I have no problem building an inexpensive small form factor PC for myself, and making things ever-smaller suffers from diminishing returns for space saving at greatly diminish performance. Not a good tradeoff.

Wonderful idea! The only hang-up I have is that it takes away the convenience of having a computer halfway between the display and the power outlet.

Hardly noteworthy.

Sheevaplugs came out in 2009.

pbL1VDG.jpg

I'll be impressed if it has powerline and two+ port switch built in. Foxconn Kangaroo with Cherry Trail, built-in battery and fingerprint reader sounds more interesting of the two.

Soooooo Its a Raspberry Pi2?
Microsoft has already stated that they will release a version of 10 that will run on the Rpi2

Soooooo Its a Raspberry Pi2?
Microsoft has already stated that they will release a version of 10 that will run on the Rpi2

Yes Window IoT... they will also have a cli version of it for free (announced at ignite), I believe Core version will have some cost though.

For doing what I do on my tablet on the TV instead, it should be fine.

Yeah, it's not a gaming PC by any stretch, but web browsing, basic games, editing documents, etc., it should be able to handle just fine.

I like the form factor a lot. It helps make the computing device a lot less intrusive and huge so it can kinda of fit into peoples' lives rather than forcing them to bend life around their computers. I'm guessing if something like this made it to market (the article isn't clear at all on whether or not the designers have been contracted by another company to produce them for retail sale) it'd not sell very well though for a variety of reasons like people turning to tablets instead at similar price points and the WalMart syndrome over its size and weight. Also, it's gonna have to compete with HDMI-stick devices which are already on the market that use Windows.

The article addressed this...

The person that came here to crap on this thread never bothered to click it.

I like the idea of it, no it won't play games those of you looking down on this from your 4k gaming machines, but this has a lot of purposes. Small file servers, webservers, firewall, media server, travel vpn server, travel pc when laptop is too big, etc

Really if this can stream videos half way decent it will be a win in my book. A bt remote and an HDMI cable going to my tv and it would be great for an htpc to stream from my server and Netflix/Hulu

x86 just trying so hard to displace ARM.. its starting to be kind of sad.

x86 just trying so hard to displace ARM.. its starting to be kind of sad.

Not sure what's sad about have more smaller, lighter, more power efficient x86 form factors. There's still a lot that can be done on x86 what can't with ARM.

Will it automatically overclock when you plug it into 220V?

Not sure what's sad about have more smaller, lighter, more power efficient x86 form factors. There's still a lot that can be done on x86 what can't with ARM.

That's sorta debatable. Most of the key functional categories that consumers (the likely target of this device) are concerned with can be fulfilled with either an ARM or x86 computing platform. Each platform is capable of checking e-mail, browsing the web, playing video content, creating or editing documents, and running games. The things that can't be done are moreso application-specific stuff like ARM's inability to run Office 2016 (though there are office software packages out there for ARM devices) or ARM not having a version of Skyrim (but still being able to run some kinda RPG-type game). I personally prefer x86 stuff, but there isn't anything broadly that I couldn't do on an ARM tablet that I could do on an x86 tablet that I can think of offhand. I mean there's some unreasonable stuff sure, but those are things I'd never do anyway if I were just trying to browse cat pics and troll forums.

I propose that all under privileged house holds receive one of these devices along with their new broadband connection paid by the tax payers. That way all families in America have the common necessities our ancestors intended for us to have.

No price, no real published specs, no tentative release dates - this is just a teaser device meant to turn heads. Hell, it might only be a mock-up with no working internals.

As the article mentions, there are already tons of small Windows devices that already do all this for affordable prices:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-200-010-Mini-Desktop/dp/B00R7R1GWK

But this plug concept pushes things down so small, you're reaching the edge of usability for end-users. The only people who will benefit from something in this form-factor are industrial and business users looking for a low-power headless server or data monitor device. Everyone else will be connecting it to a screen anyway, so why not provide the convenience of a power cable to put the device halfway between the wall and your monitor?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That would be an incredible device with a quad core atom, 2 GB of ram and a 32GB SSD. Also, these devices would be more effective with a full blown Windows OS over a cut down Android OS.

I'd be impressed if it wasnt infested with Windows.

That's actually what makes devices like this interesting beyond people who would say what you're saying. These devices do tend to come with Linux as an option however.

Anybody concerned with the heat hitting the actual PC parts in this thing? When I plug in an AC adapter, it gets very hot. This might keep the CPU, whatever it is, in a throttled state.

Anybody concerned with the heat hitting the actual PC parts in this thing? When I plug in an AC adapter, it gets very hot. This might keep the CPU, whatever it is, in a throttled state.

Most likely, the power draw will be low enough that throttling will not be an issue. So far, I have not had that issue on my Quad Core Atom tablet.

Not really. Bay Trail can already run fanless. Consider tablets that use the Atom SOC are being bundled with USB adapters for chargers, you have the combined heat of a USB wart and the warm spot on a tablet without the additional overhead such as battery charging and an LCD screen drawing power. They'll stay pretty cool.

Good point about no screen or battery charging. These things should be no more than $100. Of course, the Intel Compute Stick is $150, but that is because Intel's name is on it.

Back