Windows 10 pauses/lockups with Ryzen 1600

Diseaseboy

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having issues with a new Ryzen build. Just built a 1600 with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 motherbaord. I am having a heck of a time with it. I'm using a fresh install of Windows 10 version 1703, the latest AMD4 chipset drivers, Gigabyte BIOS and Ryzen power profile. I have eVGA 2400 DDR4 but am running everything at auto which is 2133. I am getting random pauses/lockups while using Windows 10. It locks for like 10-15 seconds then is fine. I have updated every single driver I can find and did switch between a GTX 1060 and a Radeon 480. Stutters still happen regardless of the video card. You guys think it's a ram issue? Thanks

Honestly it could be anything. Generally the first things I check are the hard drive and ram. After that I start looking for missing drivers.

Motherboard with a bad trace can cause lockups too. Impossible to detect other than changing boards

It seems to happen while multitasking which may be a memory issue. I am using a SSD. I did install the AMD chipset drivers but it was very confusing. It didn't do much. The device manager still lists the default Microsoft SATA drivers-is that correct?

I have an AsRock board and I was getting all types of freezes when Windows 10 started up. Mouse would move like it was possessed. Programs took forever to load.

Then I disabled the AsRock App Store utility that started up with Windows. It's like I upgraded to a Ferrari from a Pinto. Smooth as butter!

Might want to try setting the XMP profile for your memory in the bios. Do the simple things like make absolutely sure that your memory, SATA cables, power, etc are all securely connected.

I have an AsRock board and I was getting all types of freezes when Windows 10 started up. Mouse would move like it was possessed. Programs took forever to load.

Then I disabled the AsRock App Store utility that started up with Windows. It's like I upgraded to a Ferrari from a Pinto. Smooth as butter!

Might want to try setting the XMP profile for your memory in the bios. Do the simple things like make absolutely sure that your memory, SATA cables, power, etc are all securely connected.

Wouold be interesting to know if the Gigabyte App store that loads and trays itself on startup is causing his issues, and or slowdowns.

I did not install the Gigabyte app so it wasn't the case for me. It seems to be running fine now. I'm not sure what exactly helped, but I adjusted my memory timings and voltage and reinstalled the AMD chipset drivers and things seem fine. My only question is if IDE/ATAPI controllers are showing the standard Microsoft SATA ATAPI controller drivers installed. Is that correct or should they be AMD drivers? The AMD chipset driver installation is not exactly intuitive. I am not sure what installed.

I did not install the Gigabyte app so it wasn't the case for me. It seems to be running fine now. I'm not sure what exactly helped, but I adjusted my memory timings and voltage and reinstalled the AMD chipset drivers and things seem fine. My only question is if IDE/ATAPI controllers are showing the standard Microsoft SATA ATAPI controller drivers installed. Is that correct or should they be AMD drivers? The AMD chipset driver installation is not exactly intuitive. I am not sure what installed.

I don't think I have installed the newest chipset drivers drivers yet. I think 17.10 is out if I remember right. I did so much stuff this weekend that I forgot if I did or didn't. ;)

2017-04-24.png

I'm having issues with a new Ryzen build. Just built a 1600 with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 motherbaord. I am having a heck of a time with it. I'm using a fresh install of Windows 10 version 1703, the latest AMD4 chipset drivers, Gigabyte BIOS and Ryzen power profile. I have eVGA 2400 DDR4 but am running everything at auto which is 2133. I am getting random pauses/lockups while using Windows 10. It locks for like 10-15 seconds then is fine. I have updated every single driver I can find and did switch between a GTX 1060 and a Radeon 480. Stutters still happen regardless of the video card. You guys think it's a ram issue? Thanks
Had this problem in games randomly with my K7 and 1700. It seems as though the power profile from AMD has something to do with this. I had to basically edit the registry and unlock some power options to stop the system from so aggressively stopping the drives. Since then it was fine. I figured this out by skimming through the event viewer. See if you have something similar flagging in there maybe?

I got rid of AMD's power plan and the stuttering has stopped. I bought a new mouse because of this issue... oh well.

That was probably my issue too. I forgot I also changed the power profile to High Performance from the AMD one. When I get some more free time I'll do more testing. I have both a Radeon 480 and GTX 1060 I can switch between. I didn't really need to upgrade, my i7 3770 was performing fine but man is it nice to play with new tech for a change.

pretty sure windows 10's power settings are the same as windows 7 so if that's the case there should be an option in the advanced settings called "turn off hard drives", set it to never or 0, i think the default setting for windows 7 was 15 minutes. even if you set the timer to say 5 hours it'll still spin up all the drives on bootup and then shut them off immediately after and wait for you to access them which then starts the 5h timer for that drive. but that's only part of the problem since windows will constantly try to check the drive to make sure it's still there and also doing search index scans every time you download/create/delete a file.. it's one of many dumb features microsoft implemented into windows.

pretty sure windows 10's power settings are the same as windows 7 so if that's the case there should be an option in the advanced settings called "turn off hard drives", set it to never or 0, i think the default setting for windows 7 was 15 minutes. even if you set the timer to say 5 hours it'll still spin up all the drives on bootup and then shut them off immediately after and wait for you to access them which then starts the 5h timer for that drive. but that's only part of the problem since windows will constantly try to check the drive to make sure it's still there and also doing search index scans every time you download/create/delete a file.. it's one of many dumb features microsoft implemented into windows.

I have 7 on my server and I'm pretty sure the default for turning off the drives is 20min, I have mine configured for 10min, as for index scanning, I just disable that shit on every drive and in services, since I have 13 drives and it was always using around 25% of my CPU at any giving time, preventing my rig from going idle. But like you said, windows will still kick more than half of them awake when it deems it necessary.

This causes abnormal power up counts in SMART on my drives, but I rather have them shutdown since some could not be accessed more than once in a 24hr period.
It drives me nuts, and it seems to me that Windows targets the drives that are connected via RAID cards first smh. Very stupid decision by MS.

After more testing it's definitely the power profiles that causes the slowdowns. I get them with the AMD Ryzen power profile and don't if I switch to High performance on my system. Strange, not sure exactly what is causing it.

After more testing it's definitely the power profiles that causes the slowdowns. I get them with the AMD Ryzen power profile and don't if I switch to High performance on my system. Strange, not sure exactly what is causing it.

Hmmm, good to know.

Back