Windows 10, Parental Controls and Dissociating from Microsoft Account?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

So I am pretty opposed to all things cloud. Based on this I always makes sure all windows installs in my house have local accounts only. There is no reason at all that any computer should have to be linked to a service on someone elses servers. I am completely opposed to this.

I did this with my stepsons computer. It worked well for the longest time, but then my stepson signed in in the Xbox app to his account he uses for his Xbox at his stepdads house.

It turns out Microsoft - in their wisdom - take this as a sign that you want to link your entire Windows account to this online account (ugh) and whats worse, adopts Microsoft's parental controls from his dads house to the computer I built him in my house, so that he can't even open a browser window without requesting permission from his dad.

I have problems with this on so many levels.

Firstly, my significant others ex husband no goddamned business controlling a computer I paid for and built that is on my network. Secondly Microsoft has no business linking the entire computer to their cloud just because of a single Xbox sign in. It just makes me furious.

Does anyone know how I can dissociate his computer account from this Microsoft account, and return it to being a standalone local login only?

Do I have to delete the account, and create a new one? (hopefully I can copy over the user folder including all its local folders with all the app settings.)

Or do I have to do a fresh windows install?

Bonus points if anyone knows a way I can prevent this from ever happening again, the next time the kid accidentally signs in to something.

Appreciate any help!

Hey all,

So I am pretty opposed to all things cloud. Based on this I always makes sure all windows installs in my house have local accounts only. There is no reason at all that any computer should have to be linked to a service on someone elses servers. I am completely opposed to this.

I did this with my stepsons computer. It worked well for the longest time, but then my stepson signed in in the Xbox app to his account he uses for his Xbox at his stepdads house.

It turns out Microsoft - in their wisdom - take this as a sign that you want to link your entire Windows account to this online account (ugh) and whats worse, adopts Microsoft's parental controls from his dads house to the computer I built him in my house, so that he can't even open a browser window without requesting permission from his dad.

I have problems with this on so many levels.

Firstly, my significant others ex husband no goddamned business controlling a computer I paid for and built that is on my network. Secondly Microsoft has no business linking the entire computer to their cloud just because of a single Xbox sign in. It just makes me furious.

Does anyone know how I can dissociate his computer account from this Microsoft account, and return it to being a standalone local login only?

Do I have to delete the account, and create a new one? (hopefully I can copy over the user folder including all its local folders with all the app settings.)

Or do I have to do a fresh windows install?

Bonus points if anyone knows a way I can prevent this from ever happening again, the next time the kid accidentally signs in to something.

Appreciate any help!

This so called 'feature' is such a PITA on the Xbox. The most annoying thing is that it must activate itself based on the birth date of the account holder, as I never activated it purposefully.

It turns out Microsoft - in their wisdom - take this as a sign that you want to link your entire Windows account to this online account

You have two options when you sign in with a MS account that is only using a local computer account: Allow it to do what your son did or this app only. They are both evident but your son choose to do the whole computer with his account.

I would suggest redoing from scratch or at least doing a system restore point.

You can change a Microsoft linked account to a local account without doing a wipe. I know I've done it before, for a friend who made a similar mistake. IIRC the option was slightly hidden, but not difficult to get to. I'll see if I can figure it out tonight - I might not be able to see it though, since none of my PCs are linked to a Microsoft account either. :D

Back