Windows 10 October Update Might Not Launch In October

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Following a number of bugs, Microsoft has repeatedly delayed the global roll-out of the "Windows 10 October 2018 Update." Yesterday, Microsoft fixed the zip file bug in a new release, and pushed the build out to Windows Insiders. Pushing updates to the "Release Preview" ring usually means an official release is imminent, but it's unclear if the October 2018 update will actually make it to most Windows 10 PCs in October. According to a recent AdDuplex report, Windows 10 version 1809 only made it to about 2.3% of PCs worldwide.

As Windows 10 October 2018 Update went out to "seekers" on October 2nd and then was pulled back before it went to everyone else, it didn't get a chance to make a serious dent in the April Update numbers.

I have done 3 fresh/scratch installs of 1809, all fine. I have not upgraded any systems to it however. While it's a little frustrating waiting this long, it's worth the wait for them to [knock on wood] get it right this time.

I am part of an elite crowd then, lol. I was able to get it on 3 of my machines before they pulled the update.

I have done 3 fresh/scratch installs of 1809, all fine. I have not upgraded any systems to it however. While it's a little frustrating waiting this long, it's worth the wait for them to [knock on wood] get it right this time.
any way you can put that ISO up somewhere so I can download it?

16 hours and 40 minutes (PST) left in October 2018, so there's still time. Let's make that update happen!

(don't care, not running win10 at home)

I've been on it all month and have been lucky enough to have no issues. Feels like these updates are getting buggier every time. I've just been fortunate enough where most of the bugs haven't affected me personally.

Not sure about where your source of pride comes from accidentally running a buggy piece of software successfully.

Can't quite see where anything you did made it work?

Must just be me.

Windows 10 Build 1810. Hell, it may even come down to Windows 10 Build 1901. Maybe all of these issues will be a wake-up call to the people at the top of Microsoft that they need to FIX THEIR SHIT!!!

Good. don't' try and make some specific date . just release it when it's ready even if it's December. not like we really needed it anyways.

Reactions: mkk
like this
Good. don't' try and make some specific date . just release it when it's ready even if it's December. not like we really needed it anyways.
I'd go so far as to say that they need to stop making these twice-a-year upgrades and slow it down to once a year. Hell, even Apple and Google know that once a year is enough.

I got 1809 on one of my laptops (through Win Update), an old Dell XPS L702X, and the update went fine. I don't store anything in the Libraries folder so I didn't notice any data deleted. But there are some other strange bugs. When shutting down the laptop, when the screen goes dark, it has a pattern from outer edge to center, I have never seen this before. Also when I open the Action Center the first time after startup, it quickly appears on the left side then appears where it should, on the right. Didn't get 1809 on any other computers in the house. I could restore 1803 backup image to this laptop, but I don't see the need.

If only there were some way to find problems before releasing software. Maybe an attempt to assure that what is released meets a certain standard for quality. A way to test software.

Or, just push it out onto users' systems and let the problems show up then.

besides the "dark" mode file explorer, which i am digging.. not seeing much else to note about it. been running it since that morning it launched

There is a program called Windows ISO Downloader out there, used it once way earlier this year to DL an Office ISO file. Have not used it in months though. It says it has a DL for 1809 in it (the originally released download, not the updated builds). It might let one DL 1809 .ISO as it was originally released.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

This window started coming up when you run the program, not seen this before. Obviously click NO.

warning.png

I manually upgraded to 1809 the day after it came out, haven't had any issues.

The file deletion only occurred if you used folder-redirection, and then continued to put data in the original (supposed to be unused) folder, iirc. That happened to .001% or users (some very low number).

There is a program called Windows ISO Downloader out there, used it once way earlier this year to DL an Office ISO file. Have not used it in months though. It says it has a DL for 1809 in it (the originally released download, not the updated builds). It might let one DL 1809 .ISO as it was originally released.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

This window started coming up when you run the program, not seen this before. Obviously click NO.

View attachment 116435

thanks
I must have used it in the past since I had the program downloaded already. downloading the 1809 ISO now.

I'd go so far as to say that they need to stop making these twice-a-year upgrades and slow it down to once a year. Hell, even Apple and Google know that once a year is enough.
yes, i wanted to say that in my post but was in a hurry.

Im running 1809 currently and so far everything seems fine. Had the standard issues with my Google Drive app and similar that seem to happen every "upgrade". Didnt have the folder deleting issue others had.

That being said I have not pushed this to any of my users. Most are still on 1709.

they need to go back to their generic names for these major updates- Creators Update, Anniversary Update etc

If only there were some way to find problems before releasing software. Maybe an attempt to assure that what is released meets a certain standard for quality. A way to test software.

Or, just push it out onto users' systems and let the problems show up then.

Dare to Dream! Software is too complex to be tested. Only broken. And re-released in a fancier revision. :D

Damn, that means the Tomb Raider RTX patch is going to get postponed, too. I am eager to test the true capabilities of my new RTX 2070.

Back