Windows 10 October Update is Losing User Data

I'm not on trial, genius, you must be some uppity bloke in real life. I'd run if I had to work with a knitwit like you.

nope but keep digging yourself a hole.

It shouldn't if you set it to 'Never' which I had it set to.
no it shouldn't, all mine are still present so idk.
and since im on insider, I think ive done 3 or more 1809 updates without any issue.

just gonna keep digging?
What is really funny is you guys that support all this corporate babysitting will one day rue the day that you ever allowed these companies to get away with their jam it down your throat mentality. When you are scrutinized to high heaven, and beg for some freedom, MAY THE BIRD OF PARADISE FLY>>>>>>>>>>>>DIRECTLY UP YOUR NOSE.

Entire user profiles completely vanish as a result of the rubbish Windows 10 updater all the time. Considering the unnatural bias exhibited by some on these forums, even if they did have an issue updating I doubt they'd actually make it known.

Entire user profiles completely vanish as a result of the rubbish Windows 10 updater all the time. Considering the unnatural bias exhibited by some on these forums, even if they did have an issue updating I doubt they'd actually make it known.
I have talked about the other minor issues I have had. just never had these major "ms is evil" issues on the numerous system i support.

What is really funny is you guys that support all this corporate babysitting will one day rue the day that you ever allowed these companies to get away with their jam it down your throat mentality. When you are scrutinized to high heaven, and beg for some freedom, MAY THE BIRD OF PARADISE FLY>>>>>>>>>>>>DIRECTLY UP YOUR NOSE.
I dont support corporate bullshit but I also dont place blame without proof.

I have talked about the other minor issues I have had. just never had these major "ms is evil" issues on the numerous system i support.

I dont support corporate bullshit but I also dont place blame without proof.
And every post isn't directed at you only, and you can research everything I said and see you are a nitpick, and what I said is valid. Are you perfect? One thing is for sure, there are some MS defenders to the very bitter end on here and others that would like an updated Win 7 instead of the crap that is Win 10.

Go ahead and verify it all for yourself, I'm not doing it. Unless you can afford my hourly charge, and I would image you can't.

Who's claiming MS is evil? Fact is, due to the way the NT kernel as well as NTFS is implemented, the entire user profile appears to get shifted to a temporary location and back again when these major updates occur. The process is slow and unreliable and often the user profile simply disappears in the process.

If you've never encountered the issue than I guess I'm just unlucky with very unique clients. As long as being unlucky pays the bills when I have to rectify these problems, I'm happy.

One thing is for sure, there are some MS defenders to the very bitter end on here and others that would like an updated Win 7 instead of the crap that is Win 10.

That's not it at all, at least looking at it from my perspective. I have three main daily driver PCs, all on Windows 10, now all on 1809, my sig rig, a Surface Book 2 15" i7 and a Surface Go 8 GB/128 GB. I've had the sig rig for over two years that's been through every Windows 10 version update starting from 1607, the SB 2 since December 2017 and the Surface Go I got in August. In addition to that, my work is moving to Windows 10, I'm scheduled to get it sometime next month.

So basically my PC world is either running or headed to Windows 10. There are no alternatives for all of the hardware and software I use that will work with Windows 7 or a Linux distro. I'm not losing GBs of data on version updates or suffering catastrophic failures or having constant severe issues. So Windows 10 works well for me especially given the lack of options. I understand that's not everyone's case but there's simply no way for me to use anything but Windows 10 at this time and not suffer massive conversions issues. If there's something better that does all that Windows 10 without all of the crap, I'd be more than willing to use it right now today.

But backups are easy, dozens of compatibility problems not so much. Again, it just depends on what one is doing with their PCs.

If you've never encountered the issue than I guess I'm just unlucky with very unique clients. As long as being unlucky pays the bills when I have to rectify these problems, I'm happy.

Fair enough. I guess a lot of folks that don't have constant major problems with Windows 10 are the types that realize that at important data can be lost any number of ways without backups. Drive failure, malware, lost or stolen laptop, power surge, fire, flood, etc. That's not to excuse any issue with Windows 10 losing data on version updates but in the universe of lost data I'm guessing that 99.999% of it is lost from other causes besides OS updates.

Just practical and experienced thinking knowing basic stuff that helps to avoid major problems when they arise.

On my workstation I store all my files directly via NFS to my NAS over 10gig ethernet.

That NAS is snapshotted nightly, and these snapshots are synced remotely to my offsite backup server every night using ZFS send/recv feature.

Last edited:
That's not it at all, at least looking at it from my perspective. I have three main daily driver PCs, all on Windows 10, now all on 1809, my sig rig, a Surface Book 2 15" i7 and a Surface Go 8 GB/128 GB. I've had the sig rig for over two years that's been through every Windows 10 version update starting from 1607, the SB 2 since December 2017 and the Surface Go I got in August. In addition to that, my work is moving to Windows 10, I'm scheduled to get it sometime next month.

So basically my PC world is either running or headed to Windows 10. There are no alternatives for all of the hardware and software I use that will work with Windows 7 or a Linux distro. I'm not losing GBs of data on version updates or suffering catastrophic failures or having constant severe issues. So Windows 10 works well for me especially given the lack of options. I understand that's not everyone's case but there's simply no way for me to use anything but Windows 10 at this time and not suffer massive conversions issues. If there's something better that does all that Windows 10 without all of the crap, I'd be more than willing to use it right now today.

But backups are easy, dozens of compatibility problems not so much. Again, it just depends on what one is doing with their PCs.
Preaching to the Choir brother. It'd be best if more people told MS what they are doing is dumb. I know some people leave stuff in their Downloads folder forever, but automatically deleting files that do not belong to MS, my be work related, may take years to recreate, could be business intellectual property worth millions, people may not even know for months or years it's deleted and there is no backup, is pure stupidity and business suicide.

Does it tell you the files will get deleted? Warn you? Ask you for permission? WTF?

They will get sued and lose big, and the fact that they put in the EULA you can sue just for your cost of Win 10 is not going to hold up, I hope they know you can't sign certain rights away. It's so dumb it's infuriating. It's like I'm in a twilight zone or something, I can't believe they would even consider doing something like that.

Reactions: DPI
like this
And every post isn't directed at you only, and you can research everything I said and see you are a nitpick, and what I said is valid. Are you perfect? One thing is for sure, there are some MS defenders to the very bitter end on here and others that would like an updated Win 7 instead of the crap that is Win 10.

Go ahead and verify it all for yourself, I'm not doing it. Unless you can afford my hourly charge, and I would image you can't.
if youre not directing something at someone, dont fucking quote them. i dont need to do research, i know those situations. countering your bullshit isn't nitpicking. nope not perfect and you might want to quite with the insults and maybe re-read the forum rules, particularly #1. just because i dont automatically blame ms for everything doesn't make me a defender. all ive done is say i have had any issues and the data loss hasn't be proven to be ms' fault. and countered your bs. finally you got one point i can agree with, there are lots that would still like 7 to be supported but time/things change and old software become obsolete.

if youre not directing something at someone, dont fucking quote them. i dont need to do research, i know those situations. countering your bullshit isn't nitpicking. nope not perfect and you might want to quite with the insults and maybe re-read the forum rules, particularly #1. just because i dont automatically blame ms for everything doesn't make me a defender. all ive done is say i have had any issues and the data loss hasn't be proven to be ms' fault. and countered your bs. finally you got one point i can agree with, there are lots that would still like 7 to be supported but time/things change and old software become obsolete.
Good talk. Fine, sometimes people don't see things from the same perspective. I get tired of people nitpicking things when really the point was that MS did lose a law suit because that lady's laptop was in use by the update, and I didn't exactly quote the entire case, but that wasn't the point. Don't try to point out a small thing that is wrong with a human being's argument, if their premise is sound. You missed the point because you wanted to divert a good argument.

They could have updated 7 and not put all the bs in 10, make sure if you ever talk to MS to let them know that. They basically suck in most people's minds because they couldn't design software if their life depended on it.

I quote someone whenever something I have to say is even tangentially related to what they had to say.

This is - I feel - how it ought to be.

This makes me happy we went for LTSB/LTSC in the corporate network, some other guys went CB (Current Branch), guess who's had less issues? I'm a bit scared what kind of issues next LTSC update brings though, such a long time since a feature update...

They could have updated 7 and not put all the bs in 10, make sure if you ever talk to MS to let them know that. They basically suck in most people's minds because they couldn't design software if their life depended on it.

LOL! This is fucking hilarious. Microsoft can't design software but all they had to do was update Windows 7?

something, something, something, backup your data?
Yeah, back up your data. That's like saying he had no life insurance? Then it is his own damn fault he got murdered!

How about doing proper QA on a product before rolling it out to the masses?

Yet another reason why I never store any of my files in well known or OS controlled paths.
The documents folder is a well known OS controlled path, right? You can't choose to put save games elsewhere. So that's not a solution. The solution is proper QA from MS, which it seems we can expect less and less of these days.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is any oversight at MS anymore on what an update changes. If a lunatic decides to further fragment the network settings it will be rolled out without hesitation.

How about doing proper QA on a product before rolling it out to the masses?

I'm curious. Which desktop OS undergoes this proper QA such that across all possible combinations of hardware and software there's never any sort of bug or flaw experienced by any end user?

I'm curious. Which desktop OS undergoes this proper QA such that across all possible combinations of hardware and software there's never any sort of bug or flaw experienced by any end user?
Because there are just droves of OS updates that install without user consent and deletes user data. Yeah this is all common stuff folks, nothing to see here.

Windows 7.

And trying to argue that the alternative to untested Windows 10 updates is an absolute "never any bug experienced by any user" is disingenuous. There's a middle ground, and MS used to understand it. Now every time they put out a Windows 10 update the entire internet lights up with complaints, including sites that have been pro-Windows for decades, so it's not just "MS hate".

It's also not because there are "so many more configurations" or numbers of PCs, so you can give that invented myth a rest. Those numbers have been in decline from their peak for years.

You know better, that in the 7 days they actually used to test patches and updates, and service packs were put together by real engineers and vetted by a real QA division. Then their mobile identity crisis ushered in the 2012+ Metro era of phone app suck, and Windows 10 is just the continuation of that.

Last edited:
Windows 7.

And trying to argue that the alternative to untested Windows 10 updates is an absolute "never any bug experienced by any user" is disingenuous. There's a middle ground, and MS used to understand it. Now every time they put out a Windows 10 update the entire internet lights up with complaints, including sites that have been pro-Windows for decades, so it's not just "MS hate".

It's also not because there are "so many more configurations" or numbers of PCs, so you can give that invented myth a rest. Those numbers have been in decline from their peak for years.

You know better, that in the 7 days they actually used to test patches and updates, and service packs were put together by real engineers and vetted by a real QA division. Then their mobile identity crisis ushered in the 2012+ Metro era of phone app suck, and Windows 10 is just the continuation of that.

Furthermore, Microsoft really don't appear to care...

We know it isn't MS. ;)

Only 1 of my machines picked up the update. It did the download and installation yesterday but nothing happened, didn't ask to reboot, thought that it may have canceled itself.
Power button doesn't show the usually "Update and Shutdown" Update and Restart", just shows the normal shutdown, restart, hibernate
I just looked at the history and it shows that it needs a restart to finish.

Windows-1809-update.jpg

I like living on the edge so I decided to manually update all the machines at the same time,
updating-1809.jpg

If you don't hear from me today, it means the shit broke.

Only 1 of my machines picked up the update. It did the download and installation yesterday but nothing happened, didn't ask to reboot, thought that it may have canceled itself.
Power button doesn't show the usually "Update and Shutdown" Update and Restart", just shows the normal shutdown, restart, hibernate
I just looked at the history and it shows that it needs a restart to finish.

View attachment 109347

Since we've got numerous backup redundancies on our network I've given full permissions to all our stations to update as needed with a 12 hour daily window. I've noticed over that last 18 months that feature or build updates might not even show for the first 1-2 weeks in the buttons nor give notifications. Some will show same or next day, but not all. All stations are same models, OS's, etc. About once a month or so I physically log on to each one and run check for updates and I'm always shocked when about half grab the last one from weeks before. Also have update set to share on the network. I remember when 10 came out that feature only worked across wifi, still not convinced it's fully functional now. I've been hesitant about intalling WSUS and running all from it. Used to be the best thing but in recent years I've heard mixed things.

Oh, like clockwork, the Soundblaster settings all got reset.

I'm surprised, all 3 machines updated without an issue.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The truth of the matter is that no one here whatever their position is on this has scientifically collected data to make assessments. Since Tuesday is very possible that several million machines have been updated to 1809 and that 99% of the time the experience went without incident. Again, I don't have any data, like everyone else, so I have no idea.

I've updated six machines all without any trouble, start the process, restart, come back an hour or two latter depending on the device, done. I'm not saying that the process is perfect for all people, clearly it's not. But I think stories like this get blown out of proportion by haters and then one of problems mean that EVERYONE is experiencing constant, catastrophic failures which clearly can't be the case as no one here would have been able to update.

They gave us a friggin huge calculator. Freaked me out when I opened it up, lol.
giant-calculator.jpg

Backblaze

or whatever your online backup vendor of choice is. Best money you will ever spend.

I'm glad I pretty much only game on Windows, but now I need to ensure I have this update blocked from any other machines I admin. It should be already but time to double check!

Ugh. I have to agree with others: how the hell does this get released to the wild? I also suspect as at least one other person in the thread suspects - I'll bet their old profile (and data) is there. That profiles are still problematic after all these years is also annoying. ProfileWizard is the greatest piece of software ever if you maintain more than a handful of Windows desktops.

Back