Windows 10 Now Actually Losing Market Share

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Windows 10 has gone into reverse gear, which is probably due to the OS no longer being a free upgrade. On the other hand, Windows 7 grew 1.02 percentage points to go from 47.25 percent to 48.27 percent.

Windows 10 went from 22.99 percent globally, to 22.53 percent, a drop of 0.46 percentage points. It’s important to remember that NetMarketShare measures usage (people actually using the operating system, rather than having it installed), and that isn’t a precise science. Even so, Windows 10 losing share is a big surprise. When Windows 8.x did it two years ago, it came after months of dwindling growth. Here, NetMarketShare is showing us a healthy growing operating system coming to a dramatic and sudden stop, and then actually rolling backwards a bit.

Windows 10 has gone into reverse gear, which is probably due to the OS no longer being a free upgrade. On the other hand, Windows 7 grew 1.02 percentage points to go from 47.25 percent to 48.27 percent.

Windows 10 went from 22.99 percent globally, to 22.53 percent, a drop of 0.46 percentage points. It’s important to remember that NetMarketShare measures usage (people actually using the operating system, rather than having it installed), and that isn’t a precise science. Even so, Windows 10 losing share is a big surprise. When Windows 8.x did it two years ago, it came after months of dwindling growth. Here, NetMarketShare is showing us a healthy growing operating system coming to a dramatic and sudden stop, and then actually rolling backwards a bit.

You can still get the free upgrade, it's not advertised anymore.

10 is not that much of an upgrade when it comes to the average user. There is very little reason to use it over 8, or even 7 for most people.
Add to that, that the built in spyware has been rather well publicized, (Yes, I know it exists in 8 and 7 to varying degrees, but it is easily beaten in those OS, and 2) I am talking about average users.), and some people are just not going to bother with it without it being free. It losing market share is still odd though. You would think simple attrition would give it month after month increases in share, even if they are very minor. That would likely mean people/businesses are rolling back to 7/8, or PCs are still being shipped with 7/8 in higher numbers than 10. Business buyers using 7 with volume licenses prolly.

I'll wait for the Steam H/W survey. This is interesting and if it continues to decline, it's meaningful, but I prefer looking at Steam, because it's exclusively consumers. However, assuming this is real and that it's mostly consumers, then I'd assume it's people who upgraded a machine and then downgraded it (i.e. they wanted to lock in the upgrade, but didn't want to permanently change the OS).

this just happened to me: have "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows." off? Nah fuck you, we will give you those updates anyway. over 100 of them because fuck you.

Thanks!

im almost ready for my yearly reformat. and only have win7

I'll wait for the Steam H/W survey. This is interesting and if it continues to decline, it's meaningful, but I prefer looking at Steam, because it's exclusively consumers. However, assuming this is real and that it's mostly consumers, then I'd assume it's people who upgraded a machine and then downgraded it (i.e. they wanted to lock in the upgrade, but didn't want to permanently change the OS).

September 2016 was a month that was easy to predict to be a slow one for Windows 10 a year ago as it would was after the free upgrade officially ended and post-back to school. I've said for a while that the growth of 10 in the consumer market was pretty much done and future growth would be primarily in the enterprise when that happens. And it's really more a question of when than if. We've started out pilots and starting mid next year we're start 10 rollouts and push that over the next 2 1/2 years. I think that's what most enterprises will do, start early and go slowly before 7 support expires in 2020.

I agree with you, it'll be interesting to see the Steam numbers because that's what I consider the best indication of things in the enthusiast consumer crowd. So far Steam users seem to like 10. I'm sure the adoption rate will slow but 7/8.s certainly aren't the way forward for PC gaming.

Nobody wants it, is really the point.

It's the same with every Windows release. When 7 came out, people swore up and down they were sticking with XP. Now it's 7 and Windows 10. The truth of it is, half of the people that are trashing Windows 10 are either, A: Users that haven't even tried Windows 10, B: People running cracked Windows 7 builds and are unable to try it, or C: People that legitimately have a fault with Windows 10's 'Spying'.

People in group C are the real dolts, as they're more than likely using Google, Facebook, and other data mining platforms.

They can drink the kool-aid all they want, but it's ridiculous how people try to defend their irrational reasoning behind not going to Windows 10.

Windows 10 anniversary ducks pretty hard.

This is probably why they lost 1%. My Anniversary Edition has screwed me royally and I helped to test the thing in the Windows Insider program. First thing was that I couldn't get it to install without downloading the entire OS again. Seems they must have added in some new changes for the launch that makes video crash. So I left AMD some crash information and sure enough they fixed it in the latest driver. I'm happy as a lark. The update this past week just reverted whatever AMD did as I suddenly get the exact same freezes again 30 seconds after updating Windows. I'm like WTF! I guess I'll go complain to AMD, even though I KNOW it was working perfectly fine before Windows Security updates happened.

Whenever they get the Anniversary Edition working properly I think people will be very happy with the changes. I don't like the Windows Store suggesting crappy apps to me and I'm getting tired of all advertising on the internet as the tracking is ridiculous to the point that you don't want to buy things. I don't want to see what I glanced at on Amazon plastered everywhere I go. If Linux ever got decent gaming support I would give it another go. Decent meaning everything about the games running at least as well as Windows. Keyword is everything.

That's just noise in their model. It doesn't reflect 100% true numbers, just an estimate based on sampling so a margin of error is expected. That's why trends or multi-month moving averages are more accurate than an individual monthly result.

And NetMarketShare seems to tweak their model from time to time, so even monthly numbers could possibly not be directly comparable unless historical numbers are also revised.

I didn't really have a big problem with windows vista or windows 8 like others did. Windows 10? I can't tell if it's an OS or a giant advertisement for other microsoft products. I can also appreciate microsoft's humor in giving me the illusion of control over how and when windows updates are done.

I suppose wanting to control my updates, tracking telemetry, desktop, search function, device drivers, and the general stability and CONSISTENCY of my O.S. is best left to microsoft and as it is obviously unreasonable for me to make decisions about using these things.
I mean whom doesn't love Cortana being forced up one's anus(even when trying to search one's own drives) , and it's always fun to have programs that one has run everyday for years suddenly stop functioning after a forced update.
Want to use a custom ( unsigned ) driver? well you better sign up with microshaft

And the future looks ever so bright with both AMD and INTEL saying that the next gen hardware will not run on anything but W10, and microshaft already using a proprietary driver locking linux uses out of some drive hardware...

...do you think given microsofts history that , that is going to lead to a brighter tomorrow?

As the aging giant (bully)'s power deteriorates further do you think that microsoft will magically regain a grip on reality or, desperately, continue to double down on the 'no privacy, no control' for you, policy? ( i believe they think they can actually mange 'consumers' as a 'controlled' asset class, through a baby step process of throttling choice..;wonderfully insane)

I mean , really, the windows nokia/phone gambit was a huge , horrible, and utterly massive and disgraceful failure; and yet, Microsoft is forcibly trying to make your desktop box OS more like your phone OS. Sooo...they failed to understand the mobile market and are taking that "expertise" and applying it to the desktop user. I am sure it will work this time, because it's different this time; desktop uses are more flexible than mobile users right? right?

It's too bad really I liked a lot of W10, but after seeing where windows is going ( after that last update ) ...well when the nazi's came for the polish I didn't care because I wasn't polish..etc, etc.

Here are a couple of priori:

microsoft will begin sabotaging earlier versions of windows ( they have done it with every roll out since and including xp )

If you still have a windows phone running anything other than W10 get ready for serious troubles with it (especially for internet surfing)

W10 with add a 'feature' that makes it not run in virtual environments

An annual 'service' subscription fee will be introduced, and those that do not adopt it wil not have access to certain "feature" ( read as: certain basic functionality )

PC gamers will get tired of a the knee on the back of the neck treatment and blowback there will be

Enterprise users will need special editions; so systemically the road map takes us back to a w95/wNT like universe.

( on edit: i should add: someone is going to hack the forced update 'feature' and infect a lot of boxes )

----

I think the example of the self driving car fits here: W10 is like a self driving ferrari; If I am not actually behind the wheel , what's the fucking point of "driving " a ferrari?

Last edited:
Reactions: Madoc
like this
I stopped using windows as my main OS when WinXp came out as I did not like the agreements back then.

In the end... it will never matter if one supports or does not support windows. people will use it and do whatever the operating system insists on telling it's users because people really don't know any better.

We are getting prepared for windows 2016 where I work right now. Full deployment, head first into the swimming pool. It's just one of those things, you either do it or you don't. you work through the bugs in front of you or you don't.

In the end it will never matter, no matter how much someone like me or someone else would want Linux, BSD, Mac, whatever to gain real market share in a home or client based setup it will just never happen.

I have accepted it. I will use what I want and control my computing future and let the rest of the masses do what they choose. Who am I to say otherwise. End result windows 10 will collect everything about you just like any other data mining "service". If people really cared we wouldn't have these issues in the first place.

Reactions: dgz
like this
I'm considering switching all of my home computers to Ubuntu or Mint. However, at work I simply have to use Windows. There are far too many legacy software packages that run on Windows for my company to even consider switching. I expect most corporate environment have similar issues.

I like Windows 10, but only because of W10Privacy. Without that, it would kind of suck.
Disclaimer: My Windows 10 installation has not offered the AU yet, so my experience is only on 1511.

im almost ready for my yearly reformat. and only have win7

I never understand why people always seem to think this is a needed thing. Sure 15 years ago, but recently, nope.

Reactions: dgz
like this
I never understand why people always seem to think this is a needed thing. Sure 15 years ago, but recently, nope.

Yeah, not really all that necessary since Vista came along, unless you well and truly borked something dicking around.
Even then, my idea of a clean install was a ghost image. The closest I would get is that initial, ghost image where I had all utilities and must have programs installed and the UI setup the way I like.

I went back to 7 when they made Cortana mandatory and turned off my ability to defer updates in Pro. Also, the lock screen ads were getting out of hand.

Reactions: DPI
like this
It was me. I rolled back last week to 7.
I did too, on my laptop. It wasn't working out. It was just a pain. Completely incompatible with only 4 year old hardware. Of course the blame is shared by lenovo for this.

It's not out of neccessity. It wasn't that since windows 95. Where almost every new piece of hardware forced you to reinstall. It's to clean up the mess left by applications that you no longer use, and are impossible to get rid of. I mean a Win 7 install can be bloated to 30-40GB after a few years and you can'T do anything about it but reinstall. The kind of crap some apps leave behind is mind boggling. Khm autodesk, you should take a hint! And incremental updates aren't helping either. A new install always feels much more snappy than an old one. Until you bloat it again with crap that installs tons of scheduled tasks and completely unnecessary services bogging down resources. Nowadays almost every larger app has some kind of auto updater install as a scheduled task or service. The good ones only check for updates when you actually start them, but others not just have update tasks, but agents, servers and other crap.

Yeah, not really all that necessary since Vista came along, unless you well and truly borked something dicking around.
Even then, my idea of a clean install was a ghost image. The closest I would get is that initial, ghost image where I had all utilities and must have programs installed and the UI setup the way I like.

Well, I did have redo my work computer from scratch but that would not have been my first choice. I connected up a customers hard drive to the USB3 to Sata dock, turned it on and my computer BSODed. (The file system and probably the partition table were so badly corrupted on the customers drive that when it attempted to mount it, that did it. In fact, when I tried to read the drive from a Linux install, it refused to mount the drive because it was that bad.)

Thankfully, I do back up my important stuff and it took no time at all to reinstall the Windows 10 Pro onto my 480GB SSD off a USB3 flash drive. (Startup repair had failed and I could not even reinstall without deleting everything off that drive.) So yes, I do agree that redoing is not something that normally has to be done anymore, it just sometimes is needed. I simply reinstall everything I have as needed from this point on.

I like Windows 10, but only because of W10Privacy. Without that, it would kind of suck.
Disclaimer: My Windows 10 installation has not offered the AU yet, so my experience is only on 1511.

It probably won't, because that and a couple of those privacy apps and scripts actually broke enough things to make the upgrade fail. Willing to bet most of the people complaining about various patches failing and such have done the same.

I went back to 7 when they made Cortana mandatory and turned off my ability to defer updates in Pro. Also, the lock screen ads were getting out of hand.

That is cool but, Cortana is not mandatory at all. Also, you can still defer feature updates or at least that is what it says next to the check box.

That makes sense. The free upgrade was providing more growth than the people who were reinstalling to the older OS.

Now without that free upgrade (still free, just not advertised), they're running in reverse.

I think they could have fixed all of this and dominated the marketshare by doing just a few different things:

- Include a "Windows 7 Classic" mode, if the classic start menu apps can do it, no reason it can't be done.

- Have two product channels. One which is free and has telemetry/spying/all that jazz. The other that is paid and doesn't.

Blamo. Bob's your uncle. Instead they went full retard and you never go full retard. Which is sad, because it's actually a very nice OS.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I'm getting used to it.

I like Win 7's interface better but for the sake of maxing out the mileage on my systems these days, I decided to just go with the newest OS when I did the new build. I'm just going to be pissed when I bust out a legacy game or something and it doesn't work. Aside from that, it seems good enough.

That is cool but, Cortana is not mandatory at all. Also, you can still defer feature updates or at least that is what it says next to the check box.

Do you have the AU? And I'm not talking about upGRADES, I'm talking about it pushing upDATES without asking. For example, while I'm in the middle of playing a multiplayer game and it decides it was time to push and update that slows my system to a crawl and then reboot. Which happened. Twice. There used to be a drop down where I could select "notify me to schedule restart" that is completely gone.

He may be referring to the option to defer updates on reboot. There was a Group Policy option that allowed you to do a reboot without having an update.

They fixed the major gripe I had with Win8.1 and that was the impromptu "hey, were you working? Take a break, we're doing an update!" bs that happened a lot. So you don't get that in the middle of a work day, but there's also no option to "Reboot without Updating", so if I need to reboot in the middle of a work day, I'm often forced to go through the update process. That or I have to hard boot the PC.

Do you have the AU? And I'm not talking about upGRADES, I'm talking about it pushing upDATES without asking. For example, while I'm in the middle of playing a multiplayer game and it decides it was time to push and update that slows my system to a crawl and then reboot. Which happened. Twice. There used to be a drop down where I could select "notify me to schedule restart" that is completely gone.

Yes, I do have the AU installed. Also, it says defer feature updates under the Advanced options. Also, if you set active hours to when you are most likely to be playing that game, your computer should not do any update stuff. It also says note: We'll check to see if you're using this device before attempting to restart. (Not sure how that works though.)

Yes, I do have the AU installed. Also, it says defer feature updates under the Advanced options. Also, if you set active hours to when you are most likely to be playing that game, your computer should not do any update stuff.

Yeah, that's the new feature which fixed what he is talking about - he needs to set his active hours. Doesn't fix the issue of being forced to update on a reboot during active hours though.

Yes, I do have the AU installed. Also, it says defer feature updates under the Advanced options. Also, if you set active hours to when you are most likely to be playing that game, your computer should not do any update stuff.

I don't want to set fucking active hours, I want to have authority over the damn updates instead of them being shoved down my throat. And I have that with 7. 10 did nothing in particualr better that I need which is why I'm not using it any more.

I don't want to set fucking active hours, I want to have authority over the damn updates instead of them being shoved down my throat. And I have that with 7. 10 did nothing in particualr better that I need which is why I'm not using it any more.

That's nice, good for you. ;) You asked me if I had AU and yes, I do. Also, they have provided new ways to do these things. LOL, Windows 7 would pop up that box to tell you that you must reboot to install the updates and only gave you delays, not stops. (Only way around that was to completely disable the updates services.)

I predict will see even more uptick in windows 7 and 8 at the cost of win 10 growth. reason being win 10 breaks things when it upgrades.

win10 upgrades has broken pdf reporting in quickbooks 2011 twice and recently broken QB 2011 entirely

win 10 broke sharing twice by resetting the share options.

win 10 shut down an entire company on a 3mbs dsl because the 1 win 10 machine decided it needed all the bandwidth to download 4GBs of data for its patch ( why ?4 GBs a patch used to be few hundred megs at most.)

the solution to these issues , get rid of win 10 go back to 7 and work like you used to with out interruption . because your system was not forced to take updates that caused problems.

windows 10 is not a business class os it is a terrible consumer class content delivery system that is ad laden and apt to damage your daily workflow at microsofts whim. with no recourse.

in the end win10 will cost you more money, and more time. that you could have better used elsewhere.

and that will cause win10 to sink, less microsoft realizes that windows is not a crappy content delivery platform, and is actually a business tool that millions rely on to get things done.

Also, I just disabled the BITS and Windows Update services, rebooted and they remained disabled. Therefore, I am not sure why people are saying they cannot be disabled.

Back