Windows 10 Notification on Windows 7

Easy is right click and exit or uninstall. Having to search through a bunch of updates to find the culprits and remove them is a waste of my time.

Has it been confirmed if Windows 10 can be done as a clean install, or if it must be done as an upgrade?
It's going to have to be an upgrade.

I imagine that after you complete the upgrade you'll be able to extract the product key and use an ISO to reinstall using the various "upgrade clean install" tricks that people use for Windows.

Has there been any evidence outside of anecdotal that a clean install is better than an upgrade? I know back in the win98 days the clean install was preferred because the upgrade was not good mainly surrounding the dos remnants that sometimes would interfere

but surely things have changed?

It's going to have to be an upgrade.

I imagine that after you complete the upgrade you'll be able to extract the product key and use an ISO to reinstall using the various "upgrade clean install" tricks that people use for Windows.

If it is going to be anything like Windows 7->8 upgrade (which is more than likely), then you will have your serial number in an email, no need to "extract" the key.

Got it on my gaming rig, but not getting the update on my technet test bed, wonder if they didn't place any of the serials from the now defunct program in the upgrade pool.

I just checked one of my TechNet test machines and the upgrade notification icon is there.

to be honest I am not overly thrilled about this either. It's not like we all don't know how to get Windows 10 or where it will be available

Meh, it's an icon in the systray. If I hadn't rolled my eyes in that direction I would have never noticed it, and even after noticing it I almost didn't click on it because it didn't look important.

If they started having popups after I decided to ignore the icon, or after clicking the icon and then ignoring the free upgrade to Win10, then I might have been perturbed...but complaining about it before hand is like complaining about there being a heater in your house because it might turn on one cold day when you were perfectly comfortable without it.

I hope that's sarcasm. If not, how much ram do you have, 1GB? You realize 0.4mb is less than 0.0004GB, so less than 0.01% (one one-hundredth of a percent) of 4GB of ram, right? :rolleyes:

I have 16GB but the fact remains it is using system resources for no good reason. It is just sitting there dormant waiting for July 31. Why couldn't they make it go away completely after I made my reservation until July 31?

Just read how to cancel reservation in the FAQ, only problem is there is no such option when I follow the steps. I don't want to cancel anyway but it does not show an option to cancel as it should.

I found where it is. Click "Check your upgrade status", then click the little menu icon in the top left corner and select "View Confirmation". The cancel reservation button will be on that screen. They left the last step out of the FAQ.

I have 16GB but the fact remains it is using system resources for no good reason. It is just sitting there dormant waiting for July 31. Why couldn't they make it go away completely after I made my reservation until July 31?

1. How would it know when it was July 31?
2. How would it know you had decided to cancel the reservation if you did so?
3. Part of the reservation process is pre-downloading the install before the release date.

Yeah agreed, hopefully we'll all figure out a way to start the upgrade process, get the key, then cancel/not even do the upgrade and go straight into a clean install.

People seem to always find some kind of workaround to the upgrade versions in the past, I'm sure someone smart will figure it out if possible.

I read another article today that said Win 10 will be considered a Full license and you can download the ISO from them much like you can with your 8.1.

That would be amazing....

I found where it is. Click "Check your upgrade status", then click the little menu icon in the top left corner and select "View Confirmation". The cancel reservation button will be on that screen. They left the last step out of the FAQ.

Thanks.

I went ahead and bit on a confirmation. Think Ill give Win10 a chance. If it sucks I can always reinstall Win7 even thought that will be a huge pain in the balls. But from what all Ive seen, there are still some gripes I have about the UI but the majority of them seem to have been answered so I guess Im in.

im just going to wait to buy the OEM System Builder Windows 10 because then I will have a license sticker, have the ability to do a full and clean reinstall, and I won't have to deal with the problems you people will have because of your unkosher install :D

Yes, you'll be able to do clean installs of the free Windows 10 upgrade

Microsoft's Gabe Aul twittered:

"Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time"

"You will not need your 8.1 key, the same device will reactivate once it has been successfully upgraded to 10."

Q: by "clean reinstall" you mean the build-in OS feature and/OR downloadable iso?
A: Either way will work. Once you've upgraded to 10 on the machine the license will allow you to reinstall at no cost.

i wonder if it will provide us the license key or embed it into BIOS as a SLIC or how it determines if you are licensed for Windows 10. . . maybe it works through a Microsoft Account almost as though if it were a subscription?

If they don't use the same license key, I'd imagine they'll email you the new key/tie it to your microsoft account.

if I uninstall the KB3035583 update on my Windows 7 machine will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 in the future if I want to?

if I uninstall the KB3035583 update on my Windows 7 machine will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 in the future if I want to?

"This update is not required to get Windows 10, you can still get it even though you don't get the notification. Just download it on July 29th 2015 when it becomes available. You will have one year to do so. The Reserve app is just a reminder/notification for its availability."

Windows 10 FAQ

They answer a lot of questions there. You really should read it.

"This update is not required to get Windows 10, you can still get it even though you don't get the notification. Just download it on July 29th 2015 when it becomes available. You will have one year to do so. The Reserve app is just a reminder/notification for its availability."

Windows 10 FAQ

They answer a lot of questions there. You really should read it.

cool..thanks...am doing a reformat of my system on Monday and wanted to make sure...will not be installing KB3035583

Back