Windows 10: New Study Shows Home Edition Users Are Baffled by Updates

No, you can't. Not even in the pro version. Unless you choose the pause updates option, which effectively disables updates. But that's not what we want. I want to install security updates, but at a time of my own choosing, preferably when I shut down my computer. This was easy in W7. Just select download updates but let me choose when to install them. And when a new update was available there was an option called "install updates then shut down"

There is no longer such an option in W10. It will always auto update "critical" fixes. No matter what in all versions. Which results in unexpected reboots of unattended computers, even when you have logged in users and open applications. Unless of course pause updates is selected. Which is temporary anyway. And a giant pain in the neck that you have to go to the settings and select pause updates each time you want to leave the computer running unattended.

The only difference between the home and pro versions is that in home all updates auto-intstall even unwanted feature and driver updates.

Gpedit and set it to 2. Notify to download and install (as posted by someone els and me) this 100% stops automatic updates I use this on my main pc (it works as stated, don't pick option 1 3 or 4 as it will auto install updates)

What I mainly don't like is that home users (or pro who have not changed the default setting in windows update adv option) are beta testing release updates and full os upgrades witch is what the insider program was supposed to be for

All PCs leave me with win10 Pro, Windows update set to none targeted +100 day delay on feature upgrades and 15 days delay on normal updates

As this stops broken normal updates and broken feature upgrades (my customers get them when they are well cooked) my customers are not your testers for me to waste time with fixing so thing you broke (system restore randomly been disabled by default on specific systems is my other annoyance)

You can't disable directly on Pro, no. What Pro provides is access to gpedit which gives you some policies to manipulate, one being that you can set Windows Update in such a way that it will notify you there are downloads available to be started and then subsequently autoinstalled. That means you must manually initiate the download process first otherwise nothing ever proceeds. It will still automatically install after the manual download acceptance as the policy name (shown below) suggests.

Local Computer Policy > Adminstrative templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > "2 - Notify for Download and Auto Install"

The only way to truly turn it off is disabling the WU service, unless the machine happens to be on a domain in conjunction with a WSUS server, or possibly Windows Update for Business, but I know nothing of that particular MS product.

Gpedit and set it to 2. Notify to download and install (as posted by someone els and me) this 100% stops automatic updates I use this on my main pc (it works as stated, don't pick option 1 3 or 4 as it will auto install updates)

What I mainly don't like is that home users (or pro who have not changed the default setting in windows update adv option) are beta testing release updates and full os upgrades witch is what the insider program was supposed to be for

All PCs leave me with win10 Pro, Windows update set to none targeted +100 day delay on feature upgrades and 15 days delay on normal updates

As this stops broken normal updates and broken feature upgrades (my customers get them when they are well cooked) my customers are not your testers for me to waste time with fixing so thing you broke (system restore randomly been disabled by default on specific systems is my other annoyance)

Set the group policy to Disabled and Windows Update won't notify you about updates, and will only search for and download updates if you manually open Windows Update and tell it to.

Here are additional ways to stop Windows Update in various versions of Windows 10: https://linustechtips.com/main/blog...ndows-update-in-windows-10-updated-sept-2018/

"Unexpected restarts"

All restarts which I do not manually initiate are unexpected. Always. Forever.

That is the active setting, unfortunately it doesn't work as advertised. I've had windows auto update regardless of that.

Seems some people really don't want to do updates

I just want to control when it does them and what me and the other poster posted works fine if you want to do the updates when you want,, note if you press "check for update" button that is what triggers the download and install, so if there are updates and they are currently not showing don't press check for updates as it actually means download and install updates

as well as delaying updates normally (none targeted, Feature delay 100, norm 15 days) so you don't get untested updates

Your other option is LTSC 2019 as they are supported for 10 years and only get security updates only

Back