Windows 10, New Features, DO NOT WANT

Thanks for the tip, but it would be irrelevant where I could install it ie at home, might re-join my domain once or twice a year.

Its relevant when Im imaging 20+ machines a day with an image where anything even close to autohotkey is not allowed or desired.
that was not mentioned and no it wouldnt.

Did you use a camera to take a picture of your desktop?
:p

It's my work machine. I don't use it for browsing and am not logged into any accounts of my own on it.

First one I screenshotted, saved to a USB stick and then posted from another machine, but I was running out the door for the second pic, and didn't have time for that.

Last edited:
Dear Microsoft. I have a window for checking the weather. For breaking news, I have an air raid siren right across the street.
No means no.
Dear Windows, you are an OS. Not a weather station. You do the filesystem, scheduling and APIs, lemme choose the rest, mmmmmmkaaay?
Might want to look into LFS or Void Linux if you want your OS that basic. Just about every other OS you can install adds much more than that out of the box.

Have you considered Linux?

Edit: I say Linux because what you expect is not going to happen. It's been how many years since windows came out? Hasn't changed and isn't going to.
Gotta be more specific. Some Linux distributions come with lots of pre-configured and background tasks that you have to disable if you don't want them running automatically. And turning them off is usually as easy as it is on Windows, but you do have to do some research. Here's looking at you, Ubuntu.
re: alternative OS... I've used Linux as my main OS several times and I'm not doing it again. Windows has its advantages for me but I reserve the right to feel uneasy when my computer is doing weird stuff that I don't understand. Some posts in this thread have helped me understand which feels reassuring and my stance is softening.
Have you considered joining the Windows Insiders program? The program made freely available to everyone and is where Microsoft takes feedback on new features before it is rolled out?

Might want to look into LFS or Void Linux if you want your OS that basic. Just about every other OS you can install adds much more than that out of the box.
If I happened to follow your advice and try LFS, I probably wouldn't ever touch Linux again, ever. I didn't mean that extreme.

I would like to be able to run the software which I need without literally dreading that one day a pushed update nukes my system or disables something I need (like being able to do SMB between old and new Windowses).
For now, I protect myself with frequent backups and occasional drive imaging. Do I trust my OS? No... and that's bad.

In my case, almost any LTS distro works, especially Debian. I'm actually a Linux user.
Or Windows 7.

Gotta be more specific. Some Linux distributions come with lots of pre-configured and background tasks that you have to disable if you don't want them running automatically. And turning them off is usually as easy as it is on Windows, but you do have to do some research. Here's looking at you, Ubuntu.

Have you considered joining the Windows Insiders program? The program made freely available to everyone and is where Microsoft takes feedback on new features before it is rolled out?

Good thing though is, Ubuntu is private and secure, well also not sending telemetry home, well Windows 10.......

Gotta keep in mind that Windows, at it's core, is a PI gathering OS. All other functions/features are secondary.

Good thing though is, Ubuntu is private and secure, well also not sending telemetry home, well Windows 10.......
Canonical at one point did telemetry which is why it was on my list to avoid for quite some time.

But their website still forces you to accept their cookies.

Yeah, that will make me come screaming back to Windows, on my hands and knees, begging them to take me back. :D Ubuntu is one of the most solid Linux distro's available, at least if you stick with LTS, like I do. And no, I do not use Arch, there I said it and also, I cannot stand Mint either, for my personal use. KDE is nice but I prefer the Ubuntu Gnome 3.38 setup, much better than KDE for me and solid for what I want.

Yeah, that will make me come screaming back to Windows, on my hands and knees, begging them to take me back. :D Ubuntu is one of the most solid Linux distro's available, at least if you stick with LTS, like I do. And no, I do not use Arch, there I said it and also, I cannot stand Mint either, for my personal use. KDE is nice but I prefer the Ubuntu Gnome 3.38 setup, much better than KDE for me and solid for what I want.

Different strokes for different folks.

Actually, you don't have to accept cookies. Just click the manage cookies and then okay and then no cookies are saved. Not like that really matters.

Back