Windows 10 network connection stops working

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Ok this is going to be a very unhelpful request for help, but the whole thing is a mystery and I am at wits end.

I have a fresh Windows 10 install (I have an earlier thread on this here) just a few weeks old, on a regular Dell desktop pc. Nothing else has changed, I've been running Windows 10 ever since it came out years ago on the same pc with same router + ISP (Comcast) etc.

Now every few days I lose Internet. The funny thing is when I have an actual outage, I will see a yellow triangle over the network icon. e.g. if I unplug my modem/router I will see this. But there are no symptoms - no indication at all except nothing works. I can't load my routers page or ping the default gateway. 'ifconfig /renew' does nothing. Enabling/disabling the adapter in network panel does nothing. Windows reports no errors at all !!!

I restart, everything is great. For the next 4-5 days. What the hell is going on? Any ideas?

I ran into a problem like this earlier but can't remember what was the fix. IIRC it had something to do with some network discovery automation. I'd try restarting the router and all your other network devices too.

Has there been any type of update to the NIC driver recently by any chance? NIC drivers through Windows Update have had a lot of issue historically.

If there's Smartbyte software by Rivet Networks installed, uninstall it and reboot.

Have you verified with another device that is actually your PC and not the ISP. It could be Comcast and it just recovers in the time it takes to restart so that seems like the fix.

Maybe buy a usb ethernet adapter and use that to see if the issue goes away? They are like $15 on Amazon, so it probably should be after you tried everything else.

Check your event viewer to see if the NIC drivers are crashing. I experienced something similar and found WU was only listing old drivers for my card. Downloaded the latest directly from intel and the drivers stopped crashing.

I wouldnt be surprised if the culprit was your friendly windows updater porking your driver.

Have you verified with another device that is actually your PC and not the ISP. It could be Comcast and it just recovers in the time it takes to restart so that seems like the fix.

Maybe buy a usb ethernet adapter and use that to see if the issue goes away? They are like $15 on Amazon, so it probably should be after you tried everything else.

Yes. Other devices can keep using internet just fine. Nothing is wrong with router or modem.

things to try:
delete the network connection in windows and re-create it.
reset the routing table

reset windows adapter settings:
  • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

The Smartbyte software Dell installs by default that I mentioned above is renowned for this exact issue, I've experienced it myself before. Uninstalling it rectified everything.

Delete anything by Rivet software.

Back