Windows 10 Nagware on my Machines

MHzTweaker

n00b
Dear Microsoft:
Please stop trying to jam Windows 10 down people’s throats with Win 10 sales nags disguised as critical Windows updates!!! I speak of KB3035583, KB2976978 on Windows 8. Windows 7 has the same problems. I continue fighting to keep these damn sales nags off my systems, but Microsoft keeps reinstalling them without my permission. I have auto updates turned off and Microsoft still installs them. Microsoft has escalated this behavior today. They have reinstalled KB2976978 on my systems and there is no way to remove this crap. They have removed the right-click option to remove this!!!! I have deleted the C:\Windows\System32\GWX folder. I truly wish I had the resources to bring litigation against this type of behavior. I do have a voice and certainly hope I am not alone in feeling this way. Is Microsoft really this desperate to get Win10 installed? It is a scary and infuriating thing to lose control of one's computer system. I appeal to all the wise old sages of this group. What can be done?

I did a clean install of my Windows 7 machine and didn't install KB3035583...everything is working fine with no nag screens...removing that update should get rid of the Windows 10 notification no?

Keeps installing with the update service disabled?

With that done it would be impossible for them to install an update without the means of connecting to you.

I suggest installing Windows 10, I've done that on my systems and it made all the nags go away!

I did a clean install of my Windows 7 machine and didn't install KB3035583...everything is working fine with no nag screens...removing that update should get rid of the Windows 10 notification no?
^this

Uninstall KB3035583 and it should get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade notifications.

At work, we don't have a domain yet (mostly Mac users) so the Windows clients are all on Pro versions, and welp, upgrade icons are showing up all over.

On top of this, my Windows 8.1 deployment image seems to be getting updated before the desktop, not only with a separate nag screen to get the upgrade immediately, but something is screwing up the taskbar so the jumplist menus are all broken, they are broken blue boxes with thumbtacks in them. For no particular reason it's also adding This PC, Control Panel, Documents, and Pictures to the taskbar (which it never did prior to July 29). Argh?!

So my 8.1 deployments are broken, and the only fix I can do quick is to just upgrade them to 10. Luckily our tools all seem to work, despite some not being intended for Windows 10. Which along with disk cleanup and fixing the Start Menu icons adds another 20-30 minutes to my deployment time.

MS has already fixed the update so it is listed as an optional update that you can hide, if you have the update services service set to disabled and turned off, it doesn't make sense to me that you are still getting the update. Even on Win10 if you turn off the service entirely you don't get any updates at all, so something seems fishy about how you are getting the update. Are you just deleting the GWX folder or are you uninstalling the KB?

I've uninstalled KB 3035583 and KB 2976978, hid both updates and ...6978 has reinstalled itself automatically, and removed the ability to be uninstalled and the nags are back.

I don't want Windows 10 right now. I have 12 machines in my house which all run 8.1 Pro and Server 2012r2 and do not have the time or desire to troubleshoot a dozen machines during upgrades.

I just want to be left alone and be able to CHOOSE whether to upgrade or not. Is this so difficult to understand?

PS checkout this article: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

Yes, I had uninstalled it and hid those updates before.

What I am saying is that KB 2976978 has reinstalled itself ON ITS OWN and cannot be removed now by any means, either command line removal or via add - remove updates.

Windows 8.1 for life......

I noticed I disabled in on my parents PC and it came back but didn't install unless you give in the prompt.....

Back