Windows 10 Lean: Microsoft Working on Cut-Down Version of OS

This is completely pointless, who is this even marketed too. Did MS not get the memo that storage is not an issue?
Of course they did. They didn't make this for storage reasons: they made it to make it easier for you to swallow it & get hooked forever to them & their store.

#ThisShitRightHere

Kodak is another company that ran aground because the marketing morons were running the ship. They basically destroyed themselves from within.

And Microsoft is doing the same thing: producing crap they call "product" that's marketing-driven, versus technology-driven, and they're slowly turning into another Xerox/IBM/Kodak, where all they'll have left is a bunch of marketing wonks who can't produce a thing to save their necks, and they'll resort to selling off IP (like Kodak is now) to float the company and keep the bonuses rolling in, until there's nothing left, and they fold.

This is all BS ....... don't ... I repeat ... DON'T get your hopes up.

Until they rip out Edge, Cortana, Telemetrics, etc ... Windows will never be lean.

Regedit is absolutely tiny. This is your first clue that this endeavor will end up being nothing more than total BS.

Besides, there are already several variants of Windows 10 "Lean" out there. That have Edge, Cortana, Telemetrics, etc ripped out. A crap ton of bloat and cancer that has been removed. Don't want automatic updating getting in your way? Awesome, great ... cause it's been removed as well.

I currently use a tiny version of Windows 7 lite that's around 900MB that is incredibly fast. But when I'm not running this I run Windows 10 Lite V4 by Whitedeath.

It's called Windows 10 Lite V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, etc etc etc. It's 2.5gb in size and installs in a matter of minutes. Literally 3 or so minutes on a high-end system. Go look for it. And if you have a legit Windows 10 License .... I doubt there are any issues with you running this version.
I do love those MDL people...

And with licenses available for as little as $15...

Regedit is considered an app and not an essential tool?
MIcrosoft doesn't want end users to be able to modify the OS. The registry was created in order to hide what's going on behind the curtain (Wizard of Oz reference) from the end user. At the time, OS/2 had it's config sys file which handled everything that Windows 95's registry did. So it didn't have to be that complicated. They made it that complicated to hide what was going on, just the way that they hid the fact that Microsoft's programs installed themselves to be running at all times without letting the customer know that was the reason why it seemed like only Microsoft programs loaded so fast.

That's the only explanation. They manipulated the customer's experience, to sell them more stuff. And that's still going on.

This is completely pointless, who is this even marketed too. Did MS not get the memo that storage is not an issue?
This is marketed to the public. The public that knows dick squat about how their computer works. The public that only knows that their machine slows down 'because there's too much stuff on it'.
Microsoft was doing a great job. After XP.
Oh, and the scsi bug in XP that they never fixed. Right. They were doing a great job FOR THEIR SHAREHOLDERS. Microsoft does NOT work for their customers. Still don't. What Microsoft does, is convince their customers that they want what they're being sold.

I could see this being used for virtualized desktop environments using either Hyper-V or Citrix, currently we are using a heavily modified version of Education for that and it still has issues, if they were to release this under the same Enterprise licensing I could see replacing those installs with Lean instead as it would probably be more stable.

I love these echo chamber threads. Some day [H] should declare a moratorium on all Microsoft-related news and turn off the Operating Systems forum for a month or something.
As if what you have to say *isn't* echo-chamber fodder? Or are you so superior that you just pop in to threadcrap?

Not a chance in hell they get rid of all that crap, sadly.

I finally went back to 8.1 with all the telemetry KB updates blocked, the store and all of the phone apps removed. But before I left I was running 10 Pro build 1709 modded down to a 2.7GB install with MSMG Toolkit. Got rid of absolutely all the crapware - cortana, edge, store, all the preinstalled phone apps, onedrive, ads, etc.

MSMG Toolkit run against a 10 Enterprise ISO to strip out Edge and the store is probably the cleanest one can make 10 if youre deadset on running it, since Microsoft still honors GPOs set in Enterprise that they no longer do in Pro and Home (things like disabling bing web/shopping results from local file searches, or delaying feature updates).

LTSB ftw!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

Windows 10 LTSB omits a lot of the new stuff in Windows 10. It doesn’t come with the Windows Store, Cortana, or Microsoft Edge browser. It also omits other Microsoft apps like Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Money, Music, News, OneNote, Sports, and Weather.

In fact, the default Start menu on Windows 10 LTSB doesn’t even include a single tile. You won’t find any of those new Windows 10 apps installed, aside from the Settings app.

It's funny. We're seeing this today, and for the last decade, with Intel, and even with Apple in the last 5 years. It's too bad that he knew this, he knew this was coming, and he didn't avoid it.
He didn't HAVE to avoid it, Apple's done a good job of making their computers work well and not bloat to hell.

As if what you have to say *isn't* echo-chamber fodder? Or are you so superior that you just pop in to threadcrap?
Telemetry, forced updates, *and* "I'm switching to linux" literally got into the very first reply. This thread MS-Godwin'd instantly. Nothing I say can make the thread any more or less valuable.

I love these echo chamber threads. Some day [H] should declare a moratorium on all Microsoft-related news and turn off the Operating Systems forum for a month or something.
You know, it'd be a lot easier to call out forum-goers for constantly bashing Microsoft if MS had actually changed direction in a positive way. Had Microsoft changed their tune after the first couple outrages, they might have earned the benefit of the doubt. On the contrary, however, we've seen Microsoft double- and triple-down on terrible (from the consumer's POV) decisions for nearly three years now. We have long ago passed the point of plausible deniability or incompetence.

I just want a version of Windows that isn't a voyeur but at this point that requires trust that's never coming back.

Telemetry, forced updates, *and* "I'm switching to linux" literally got into the very first reply. This thread MS-Godwin'd instantly. Nothing I say can make the thread any more or less valuable.

Well... When Win10 came out, I was a fan.

Upgraded my computers and advised everyone I knew to do the same.

Thej crapware wasn't a issue, just remove it, right?

Well... that turned out to be wrong. It always come back. How on earth would someone feel in control of their equipment like that?

And yes, I did move to Linux. Still boots Windows when I need it, but it's not my daily driver anymore.

I am not going to be hopeless and subject to Microsoft's whims when it comes to my computing equipment. Nobody should.

I wonder if there is a way for Linux to use the tensor cores in a Titan V to negate the performance loss in games under wine/crossover/etc?

I want a Windows reboot without the registry. Just get rid of it and DO NOT have backwards compatibility with programs that rely on the registry. If they did that and got rid of all the backwards compatibility stuff, Windows would be much leaner and probably more reliable.

I want a Windows reboot without the registry. Just get rid of it and DO NOT have backwards compatibility with programs that rely on the registry. If they did that and got rid of all the backwards compatibility stuff, Windows would be much leaner and probably more reliable.
Try Windows 3.1 ;).

It's funny. We're seeing this today, and for the last decade, with Intel, and even with Apple in the last 5 years. It's too bad that he knew this, he knew this was coming, and he didn't avoid it.
How could he avoid something post mortem? Apple was doing great while he lived. He just couldn't find another Jobs to lead it.

How could he avoid something post mortem? Apple was doing great while he lived. He just couldn't find another Jobs to lead it.

I think his own style hurt Apples chances post Jobs. He wasn't one to share the spotlight on new product stuff... and he seems to have brought guys like Cook in mostly to handle all the business crap he didn't want to be bothered with. So all they have left are the guys he was tasking with turning out the spec bumps and handling supply ect.

Having said that they have been doing a great job on their in house arm chips. At least they still seem to be innovating there.

Well... When Win10 came out, I was a fan.

Upgraded my computers and advised everyone I knew to do the same.

Thej crapware wasn't a issue, just remove it, right?

Well... that turned out to be wrong. It always come back. How on earth would someone feel in control of their equipment like that?

And yes, I did move to Linux. Still boots Windows when I need it, but it's not my daily driver anymore.

I am not going to be hopeless and subject to Microsoft's whims when it comes to my computing equipment. Nobody should.
Penguins! Penguins all the way! I only fire up my Windoze boot to run my CAD stuff and for SupCom Forged Alliance (and both of those could be run under wine if I could be arsed to face the struggle)

Hell MS did everything to resist putting out a DX12! A tech based company where their number one product excels over the competition in only one substantial way. PC gaming.
They are literally now just trying to monetize their monopoly and it will lead to its demise.

When I first met my wife she was chatting to me using mIRC. Now she has gone full blown BitchX.

It's clear that they're not looking for ways to make it lighter. What they want is for users have even less control over their own systems. Not having regedit is like not having a single screwdriver in a household. Sure there are some people like that, but if t was up to the likes of MS and Apple they'd outright ban screwdrivers.

It's clear that they're not looking for ways to make it lighter. What they want is for users have even less control over their own systems. Not having regedit is like not having a single screwdriver in a household. Sure there are some people like that, but if t was up to the likes of MS and Apple they'd outright ban screwdrivers.

Its not surprising to see MS locking more and more config tools away from users.

They would never adopt something sane like FHS. Stupid registry idea anyway.

/etc
/home/.confg

So much less pain in the rear.

I think his own style hurt Apples chances post Jobs. He wasn't one to share the spotlight on new product stuff... and he seems to have brought guys like Cook in mostly to handle all the business crap he didn't want to be bothered with. So all they have left are the guys he was tasking with turning out the spec bumps and handling supply ect.

Having said that they have been doing a great job on their in house arm chips. At least they still seem to be innovating there.
Apple was heading down that path long before Jobs even got sick, let alone before he died, and Jobs just led the way.

Lying fucks. They only reason they want to get rid of regedit is because one of the first things people like us do is browse to hklm/system/currentcontrolset/services and start disabling all the crap we can't disable from services.msc.

Back