Windows 10 - latest round of updates significantly reduced boot times?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Over the past few days I have noticed on multiple machines... basically every single one that I have put Windows 10 on that the latest round of updates has reduced cold boot times to desktop down to about max 5 -7 seconds after POST.

This is on laptops, desktops, an AIO, and my personal machines.

All have SSDs, but the boot time to desktop used to be a lot longer.. like 15-20 seconds.

Anybody else noticing this?

And no, I am not using hibernate or sleep.

Windows 10 boots fast, reboots reeeeeaaally slow with all the forced updates shoved down your throat.

my cold boots have seemed faster IF my usb 3 ext hdd is on usb 2 or off. if I have it on a usb 3 port there is a 15-20 second delay... but disconnected or on usb2 it boots fast!

edit: I have another insider update waiting to install tonight. ill see how that is tomorrow...

Did you disable fast boot? If you didn't than you are actually using a form of hibernation.

So on the machines i just recently put Windows 10 on, I didn't mess with turning off hibernation, so maybe that is it on those. But from experiences with previous installs on the same hardware, the bootup is still much faster.

On my main system, with hiberantion disabled, it takes about 10 seconds to get to the desktop once Windows starts to load. Pretty sure that is a bit faster than before.

I looked up fast boot and it is saying that a restart doesn't use fast boot at all.. maybe that changed, but the systems I just recently put Windows 10 on restart just as fast as they cold boot.

I know they must have changed something, just not sure exactly what.

I build a stack of Intel NUC's complete with i5's, Iris graphics and Samsung 750 EVO SSD's for clients and they boot in no time at all. People can complain about Windows 10 all they like, and in many areas I wholeheartedly agree with them re: The issues surrounding Windows 10, but one thing Microsoft did get right was boot times. There was a time where my Linux PC booted soooo much faster than my Windows 7 PC with the Linux PC running lower spec hardware, now they're about even and my Linux rig is running better hardware than before.

I build a stack of Intel NUC's complete with i5's, Iris graphics and Samsung 750 EVO SSD's for clients and they boot in no time at all. People can complain about Windows 10 all they like, and in many areas I wholeheartedly agree with them re: The issues surrounding Windows 10, but one thing Microsoft did get right was boot times. There was a time where my Linux PC booted soooo much faster than my Windows 7 PC with the Linux PC running lower spec hardware, now they're about even and my Linux rig is running better hardware than before.

I run Windows 7 on M.2 NVMe and boots as fast as Windows 10 and goes to shut down much faster. There is nothing Windows 10 is good for.

I run Windows 7 on M.2 NVMe and boots as fast as Windows 10 and goes to shut down much faster. There is nothing Windows 10 is good for.

That's a very broad generalization there. When Linux can run EVERYTHING I need/want just as well as it does in Windows, I might consider switching.

As it is now, there is absolutely no contest.

For me, there is currently no use for Linux on any of my computers.

under the hood windows 10 is great, but the gui can be really annoying.

Windows 10 may boot fast but the other day when I accidentally booted to Win10 instead of linux, turns out that shutting down Win10 can take literally minutes if you try to shut it down immediately after bootup. Probably some silent updating going on in the background - or data harvesting :D

Windows 10 may boot fast but the other day when I accidentally booted to Win10 instead of linux, turns out that shutting down Win10 can take literally minutes if you try to shut it down immediately after bootup. Probably some silent updating going on in the background - or data harvesting :D

I can imagine that to be true, I reckon I've experienced that myself.

Back