Windows 10 laptop struggling

rcrez

Limp Gawd
My Win 10 laptop is having serious symptoms. They include?

1) When booting, the desktop icons sometimes don't appear or take a long time to appear.

2) When clicking on the Windows Explorer, sometimes nothing happens or the app opens for a split second and disappears.

3) Sometimes the screen blinks on and off. The yellowish tint from setting night mode turns off.

4) Sometimes with enough persistence, I can open a critical app and Windows Explorer. Usually through some kind of indirect way like opening a folder instead of Explorer itself.

5) Sometimes I have to reboot a few times.

6) Sometimes things work okay, sometimes I'm really dead.

Anybody know what to do about my laptop?

give us specs/model?
without, i would suggest putting a ssd in it and a fresh install of windows.

any suggestions for how to back up all my data first? is there a tool will let me plug in an external hard drive and just back up everything on my laptop?

is it a good idea to just format it all? i dont want legacy files sitting around after a reformat...

Last edited:
give us specs/model?
without, i would suggest putting a ssd in it and a fresh install of windows.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304025-REG/asus_gl753ve_ds74_17_3_republic_of_gamers.html
  • 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare Display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti (4GB GDDR5)
  • SuperMulti DVD Drive | SD Card Reader
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.0
  • USB 3.0 | USB Type-C | HDMI | Mini-DP
  • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
I update it relatively often so I think it should be close to the latest versions. No idea how to get the actual version.

any suggestions for how to back up all my data first? is there a tool will let me plug in an external hard drive and just back up everything on my laptop?

is it a good idea to just format it all? i dont want legacy files sitting around after a reformat...
I'd just copy what you need. You could image the drive but you don't really want OS/boot files on the backup.

nope, id just plug in a drive and drag it over or drag it onto your TB drive.
if you dont have any data your worried aboot, yes.

BUT before doing any of that, i would remove the TB and see how it acts with just the SSD.

BUT before doing any of that, i would remove the TB and see how it acts with just the SSD.
I'm not sure I can do that easily. I'd have to open up the laptop. What do I gain by doing so?

Last edited:
After backing up my data, I just tried the recovery menu in Win 10's settings. I told it to download Windows from Cloud and wipe everything. The system rebooted and dumped me with a 0x0000185 error. The recovery failed.

I managed to get back into Win 10 after another reboot. It says "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

What should I do now?

After backing up my data, I just tried the recovery menu in Win 10's settings. I told it to download Windows from Cloud and wipe everything. The system rebooted and dumped me with a 0x0000185 error. The recovery failed.

I managed to get back into Win 10 after another reboot. It says "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

What should I do now?
youll probably have to make and use a usb installer to start from scratch. but that error mentions file corruption so i would use a bootable usb like hirens or whatever to test the drive.

Just save all your files pics videos bookmarks work anything and everything you need or want to save to an external drive.

Then do a fresh install of Windows 🪟 10
It should fly faster than the day you bought it.

Just save all your files pics videos bookmarks work anything and everything you need or want to save to an external drive.

Then do a fresh install of Windows 🪟 10
It should fly faster than the day you bought it.
Slather that mofo in some mayo!

before messing around reinstalling windows (trying to)... if it was my laptop I would download the ultimate boot cd and run the diagnostics trying to see if there is some hardware shenanigans going on, and if so what exactly is going on. (cpu stress test, HD diagnostics , memorytest..)

alternately you can also run the windows memory diagnostic and see what it has to say from windows and use something like crystaldisk info to check what the drive(s) are reporting as far as condition.

you might also download a linux live cd (install to usb stick) and see if the laptop behaves properly in that eviroment vs the windows install.

Back