windows 10: lag when saving/deleting files

shadowlord

2[H]4U
I kindly like to ask for help with a rather strange problem.

recently my windows 10 machine started to have some lag when saving or deleting files.

i did not install any new software, just windows updates

the problem occurs randomly. When saving or deleting a file the process which normally takes a fraction of a second stretches to 5 seconds, basically freezing the machine for this time.

could be that the next save/delete operation shows the same behaviour, could be that it works normal.

Machine is my Lenovo X1 carbon ( i5 - 7200u , 8GB, 256GB NVMe)

any ideas i could try besides a fresh install ?

it's the 2017 model ( bought in spring 2017)

i did a clean install.
Lenovo software only the Lenovo Platform Service & Power Management installed by windows update.

1234.JPG

Unbenannt.JPG

i deactivated the windows defender but the problem still exists.

i did the detailed scandisk with no result.

crystaldisk info

Unbenannt.JPG

running out of things to try i did a fresh install and it's working now as it should.

second time in 12 month i had to format/reinstall due to Windows 10 shenanigans :(

running out of things to try i did a fresh install and it's working now as it should.

second time in 12 month i had to format/reinstall due to Windows 10 shenanigans :(
I was using a business associates computer yesterday to do some acoustic measurements. I couldn't believe how badly everything worked compared to my Mac. I had to unplug and replug devices several times, restart devices that never freeze when I work with them on mac etc. It was just painful.

So you never learned what was wrong but assume it was Windows that is at fault, even though a clean install of the OS works which indicates it was a piece of software running on top? Sure, makes sense...

i checked for viruses & malware, followed a few online guides related to this problem and did the windows onboard hard disk scans as well as the suggestions in this thread.
ultimately i was not able to determinate the root cause. I was hoping to rule out a hardware problem with the re-install. ( so i could send it in while it still has warranty left)

i did not install any new software, did not click any shady links and the problem appeared out of the blue. So a problem caused by a windows update is what i suspect the most.

Back