Windows 10 Lag/Lockup (System Interrupts)

oMek

Gawd
So long story short...... Me, my wife, and my daughters Windows 10 PCs keep getting really bad lag/lock ups. Some resolve after a few min, others are full lock up and require pressing the reset button.

On my PC when its lagging System Interrupts is hovering around 80-90% CPU usage. I have not been able to check theirs when it happens.

The hardware is all different (Laptop/z370/z390). I have made sure all drivers are updated and tried a few tweaks I found online. The only software we share is Win 10, Discord, Chrome. At first I thought it was discord so I did not open it and still had a lock up.

Has anyone else noticed this? or even better found a fix? It cant just be our 3 systems.

I have found that Intel rapid storage drivers can cause similar behavior. Uninstall it if you have it.

Nope not running that on any of them.

Good call, doing that now.

I seriously doubt you are going to find any malware but, it is worth a shot. In my opinion, it must be something that is installed on all 3 computers that is the same program. Also, unplug your network router and see if the problem goes away. (Want to see if something is accessing online resources or not.)

exactly what he said^^ is where to start. there has to be something common between the three that is causing it. a program, a peripheral/external device or the network possibly.

Check out LatencyMon

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This will tell you WHAT might be causing those System Interrupts. Causes are usually bad drivers, or failing hardware causing drivers to misbehave. Typical culprits are Network, Video and Sound drivers.

This is what its showing me, I have never used this software before so not sure what im looking at.

aDX9va4.png

This is what its showing me, I have never used this software before so not sure what im looking at.

DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) is low, which is great. Direct X is causing a high amount of interrupts but that could be just from alt-tabbing as well. Were you playing a game during the time you were running the program? Nothing super out of the ordinary otherwise. If you weren't playing a game than that high interrupt number from DX kernel calls is worrying.

I noticed you're running OCd. Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults and seeing if the lag/lockups still happen?

What do the logs/Reliability monitor say? Surely if the systems are totally locking up there will be something reported?

Look in Task manager, what's sucking all available resources? Check the [cough] updater, are they both applying some stupidly huge update in the background?

DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) is low, which is great. Direct X is causing a high amount of interrupts but that could be just from alt-tabbing as well. Were you playing a game during the time you were running the program? Nothing super out of the ordinary otherwise. If you weren't playing a game than that high interrupt number from DX kernel calls is worrying.

I noticed you're running OCd. Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults and seeing if the lag/lockups still happen?

Was not running a game at the time, Did have chrome and discord open with HW accel on.

do all three happen to have realtek audio using the same driver/software?

The laptop might but both desktops have it shut off in the bios and are running wireless Steel Series Arctis 7 headsets.

What do the logs/Reliability monitor say? Surely if the systems are totally locking up there will be something reported?

Look in Task manager, what's sucking all available resources?

The only thing sucking resources is System Interrupts.

All that being said I decided to reformat my PC last night with a clean copy of 1903. I will update if issue returns. After speaking with my daughter better (laptop) she might have been mistaken about the lock ups. Her laptop is not top of the line and I think it was just general lag on her part.

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion? Software 'interrupts' the processor for time, so what, exactly, is sucking resources?

That is what i'm trying to figure out, when its lagging really bad I sometimes am able to open task manager and can see system interrupts pulling 90%+ CPU.

That is what i'm trying to figure out, when its lagging really bad I sometimes am able to open task manager and can see system interrupts pulling 90%+ CPU.

System interrupts? Where do you see these system interrupts? Can you post a screenshot?

This sounds like a simple malware issue. It's not enough to run Malwarebytes and call it a day, you need to run a secondary scanner as well as Malwarebytes - Something like Hitman Pro.

Another good scanner I've found is ESET online scanner. It's free and effective, but it does take some time to perform a full scan.

NL5M6YS.jpg

So far since reboot have not had the issue. Hopefully you are correct it might have been some malware.

View attachment 197191

So far since reboot have not had the issue. Hopefully you are correct it might have been some malware.

Do a scan with ESET online scanner just to be sure. The problem with Malware is that if any is remaining it keeps downloading more Malware until you're right back where you started...

Select 'One Time Scan'.

https://www.eset.com/au/home/online-scanner/

If system interrupts keeps reporting 90-100% usage the first place to look is the system logs for failing hardware.

Do a scan with ESET online scanner just to be sure. The problem with Malware is that if any is remaining it keeps downloading more Malware until you're right back where you started...

Select 'One Time Scan'.

https://www.eset.com/au/home/online-scanner/

If system interrupts keeps reporting 90-100% usage the first place to look is the system logs for failing hardware.

Ran ESET one time scan and came up with nothing. That being said.... over 24 hours since format and not a single lockup. Going to give it a few days and then start looking at the wife's PC.

The most common cause for mystical lag and freezes has been the antivirus suite in my experience. Some of them are simply horrible and practically as bad as having an infection. So keep an eye if you install one or it gets an update.

Ran ESET one time scan and came up with nothing. That being said.... over 24 hours since format and not a single lockup. Going to give it a few days and then start looking at the wife's PC.

Glad to hear it's working so far. Keep track of what's getting installed to see if/when the lag comes back it can be tracked down a bit easier.

You did a format and reinstall? Must have missed that. No, in that case you probably won't find much.

Keep that software in mind for the future, considering it's free it's very useful.

Back