Windows 10 keeps waking up

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by brncao, Jan 19, 2016.

1. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

Never had a problem with Windows 7. Typing powercfg -requests in the command prompt, I got this message:

Does your computer wake up at random? Googling this stuff didn't help.

2. skriefal

skriefal Limp Gawd

Have you tried disabling media streaming, or blocking the srvnet driver from keeping the PC awake (or waking the PC)? See the following:

http://mingersoft.com/blog/2011/12/why-wont-windows-automatically-sleep/

You could also disable the update task from waking the PC to check for O/S updates (but the task may re-enable itself periodically). See here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gd066/computer_wakes_up_every_night_from_sleep/

The latter tweak worked (for a while) to stop one of my Windows 10 PCs from waking up every/most nights.

3. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

Is Wake On Lan enabled? Here's a walkthrough that describes all the ways to enable it in Windows 10.

4. Violator

Violator Gawd

Disable the wake timers in power/sleep plan. That'll stop it.

5. evilsofa

That thread seemed to ultimately lead me here:

How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Also, this post notes that Task Scheduler has about ten tasks and sub-tasks that should be turned off; some may find these already turned off but if they're on, you probably want them off, especially if you're using a laptop.

6. Viper16

Viper16 [H]ard|Gawd

I had an unsupported usb driver, when the device was plugged in kept the screens from sleeping or caused intermittent sleeping.

7. evilsofa

Win10 was waking up every 15 or so minutes for me. Using Event Viewer, I found that the Windows Time service was waking up the PC to notify me that the time had been changed. I went to Control Panel -> Date and Time and unchecked "Notify me when the clock changes", but why was it doing that so often? While still in the Date and Time Control Panel, I clicked the Internet Time tab, clicked Change Settings and switched to time.nist.gov, then pressed "Update now". When I went back to the Internet Time tab, it now says "Next synchronization:" one week from now. The problem seems to be solved now.