Windows 10 just tried to force an update, even though I disabled that long ago

Please, let's not get into a fight about if I should/could/would leave automatic updates on. I prefer to update manually on my own terms, and many times I have something running that could need to run for several days at a time.

Anyway, so, I have Windows 10 Pro, and I disabled updates to it in two of the big ways recommended, by going into the group policy editor and disabling them there, and by editing the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" and setting the "AUOptions" key to 1 (Never check for updates).

And it worked for several months, while it used to nag me about every 2-3 days for updates before, it has been going for several months now without nagging me and letting me do the updates whenever I want.

But today, it suddenly tried to force them on me again. I came home to a full-screen popup that insisted I HAVE to install updates with the only option being to click accept. I assume this has something to do with the anniversary update, but I can't be sure. Has this happened to anyone else who disabled automatic updates? Or does anyone have any idea why it tried to do this and how to stop it?

Your machine hath been absorbed into the collective. Resistance is futile. You can't possibly know better than the collective so that option has been removed for your benefit and safety.

On a serious note... I think you now have to have an enterprise license to disable it.

But today, it suddenly tried to force them on me again. I came home to a full-screen popup that insisted I HAVE to install updates with the only option being to click accept. I assume this has something to do with the anniversary update, but I can't be sure. Has this happened to anyone else who disabled automatic updates? Or does anyone have any idea why it tried to do this and how to stop it?

Welcome to Windows 10. If you wanted control of your OS including when to install updates, you shouldn't have downgraded from 7 or 8.1.

Your PC now belongs to Microsoft.

Welcome to Windows 10. If you wanted control of your OS including when to install updates, you shouldn't have downgraded from 7 or 8.1.

Your PC now belongs to Microsoft.

You can reclaim your PC by switching to linux though.

I wonder if there are additional services you have to disable, not sure if the GPO and registry fix disables the Windows Update service.

Unlike Windows 10, you get to choose which updates to apply so they can be avoided.
No need to apply patches until its known exactly what they do.
They are still optional and you can still pick and choose.

Not for long.
Microsoft is bringing the cumulative updates to Win7 in October, I believe.
Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10’s cumulative update model

You'll be losing your ability to pick and choose in 7 and 8.1.

October 2016's Patch Tuesday will see the release of the first Monthly Rollup for Windows 7 and 8.1. This will be a single package delivering all of the security and reliability improvements released that month. Patch Tuesday will be delivered through Windows Update (WU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), and System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Subsequent months will have new Monthly Rollups, and these will be cumulative, incorporating the content of all previous Monthly Rollups.

Initially, these Monthly Rollups will only contain new patches released from October 2016 onward. Over the next year, Microsoft says that it will extend them to go back in time, slowly integrated all the patches released since the last "baseline." Although not specified, this presumably means Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8.1 RTM.

You'll be losing your ability to pick and choose in 7 and 8.1.

Fortunately we can still pick and choose whether we install the update; we only lose the ability to pick and choose the individual packages contained within the update.

Fortunately we can still pick and choose whether we install the update; we only lose the ability to pick and choose the individual packages contained within the update.

Not to mention, updates can still be DISABLED altogether in 7 and 8.1

Back