Windows 10 is uhh...fine?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I built a new system in August of this year. 6700k, 1080gtx blah blah. I heard so much shit about Windows 10 being junk, I caved in and bought a key on here for Win 10 64bit Pro. And it was the best thing I have ever done. Or spent 25$ on. For me, the install went smooth. I mean all I did was create a USB key for the OS install which took minutes and then booted and installed Windows 10. Now it's December and my OS is clean, mean and a gaming machine. Everything works fine and I have 0 issues.

What the hell are you guys doing to your systems that Windows 10 is junk on it? I know a shit ton can go wrong and MS is far from perfect but throughout my entire career, starting way back in 1990 when I was 15 I have never gotten to the point of some folks on the internet with their issues. Can't people just fix shit and run a smooth system?

I don't know. I am lightly touching the subject but even with Creative sound cards, never really had a show stopping issue that I couldn't resolve. Maybe it was the combination of hardware I choose every time I went to build a new system.

Lucky maybe?

One point of data means nothing. Wait until you get some Apps installed you didn't ask for, or some update comes along and breaks something and resets your settings. W10 isn't *horrible* but its a step down with regards to testing/QA and a step towards the evil walled garden model. Its no longer your machine. Microsoft just lets you use it.

I love Windows 10. I loved Windows 7, too. Remember that there were groups of people who hated Windows 7 when it came out, and it's a real 'dog in the purse' to bash the newest windows release.

On my tablet, I cannot agree. I feel that the 8.1 it shipped with was better for tablets. For my desktop, however, it's better. It runs smoother and uses less resources.

Sven... You want to redirect your temp folder and still have %temp% go to the new directory? That's such an obscure thing to want... Nit-picking at its best.

I loved every new Windows. Even Vista. I can't remember having any issues with Windows, not even with early Vista builds. The only minor thing I don't like about Windows is that overtime, it tends to start taking a lot of space on the drive.

• I don't like the MS Consumer Experiences (and not being able to disable that anymore in AU) which dumps junk apps and games in my Start menu
  • I don't like losing the ability to control updating my machines like I could prior to 10
Otherwise I love 10.
Turn the telemetry to Basic, turn off the feedback reminders, turn off the Start menu suggestions, and unpin everything from the Start menu and re-size it, and you have a lean and mean Windows 7 with a newer, cleaner GUI.

I always tweaked 7 out of the box too, so this is old hat to me.

TL-DR: you are not everybody. your just a arrogant simple minded tard.

Completely unnecessary bashing which makes you look like a jerk - FYI.

To OP. I have a few PCs in my house, so I let one of them upgrade from 7 to 10 right away. There were more issues upon release than there are now. They mostly fell into the annoying category and I think Microsoft could have put a bit more polish on the OS before release.

Simple things like importing pictures - it was supposed to treat exif data properly now, but no matter what buttons you checked, pictures all needed to be rotated by hand. Many of the new built in apps kind of sucked (photos, mail, removal of control panel, etc.) Other annoyances were windows not remembering their last position, there was interface lag when dragging things around, you couldn't actually click the "X" to close a window, and I thought the GUI was in general pretty buggy. They weren't deal breakers - but the OS definitely lacked polish.

This was all annoyance, and most of it has been resolved at this point. You're not experiencing the "really Microsoft? You released this?" feeling. The bigger issue was the lack of control and it's still ongoing. Win10 certainly feels more like running OSX than windows. In that, I mean the "we know what's best for you, let me take control of your computer and make things EASY for you" This works just great for people like my mother in law, that's what they want. But for enthusiasts like us, it's annoying. I really hate the forced updates. It's not like it shuts your PC down in the middle of work, but it does pop up this super annoying blue window "your system requires updates" It's just obnoxious, and it kicks me out of whatever full screen game I'm playing. Thanks Microsoft - I felt like dying there. Then there's the bullshit. Like when I recently fired up a browser other than Edge, and I get this giant pop up telling me that "edge is safer" Really? 0_0 There used to be driver problems where windows 10 was overwriting latest drivers with the version from windows update - and you couldn't stop it. Can't say that's been an issue lately, but it was pretty damn annoying at first.

Then you throw all the privacy concerns into the mix and people start throwing hissy fits. They don't want their OS to feel like facebook. And unfortunately, Microsoft has done exactly that. They've even started doing these things retroactively to win7, and it's driving people insane.

There's something to be said for the "control everything about the experience, from hardware to software, and the delivery too" mentality that companies like Apple have. They've produced some wonderful examples of how that philosophy can lead to some pretty great innovative products. But it's not for everyone - and Microsoft has always had an opposing philosophy in everything they've done through the decades. People are annoyed because Windows 8 and 10 have sort of jumped on the "Apple-like control everything" philosophy and that's not why they bought a windows PC in the first place.

I think a lot of people - myself included - are moving to linux for their daily driver, and they dual boot into win10 to play games.

I love Windows 10. I loved Windows 7, too. Remember that there were groups of people who hated Windows 7 when it came out, and it's a real 'dog in the purse' to bash the newest windows release.

There's some revisionist history. Saying "people complain about every new Windows" is just being intentionally obtuse.

There's no comparison between any minor nitpicks when 7 came out, and Microsoft's all-out anti-consumer effort to alienate windows loyalists and corporations in 10.

There's a reason 10 uptake has flatlined in a way 7 never did. 7 was a breath of fresh air after Vista and pretty universally loved. 10 is despised and controversial - the reasons are well documented. And 7 never resorted to dirty tricks to force install itself, nor were people rolling back to Vista or XP in droves post-installation.

Last edited:
I loved every new Windows. Even Vista. I can't remember having any issues with Windows, not even with early Vista builds. The only minor thing I don't like about Windows is that overtime, it tends to start taking a lot of space on the drive.

Vista had major issues with file moving/copying until SP1.

That was my only real complaint about Vista.

Windows 7 now has and Windows 8/8.1 and 10 have additional clean up options to get rid of more unneeded stuff like windows update files, etc. in the drive cleanup tool that keep the usage down where it should be.

The only thing I would like to see added would for it to really clean out all the temp files, especially those in the user profiles as well as the prefetch cache.. or even totally get rid of the prefetch IF booting from an SSD as it is not needed.

If you like it, fine. The problems Windows 10 has, generally, isn't that it's junk. There are just relics of failed strategies and questionable/alarming choices that make the OS polarizing.

There are problems with the way (undocumented) patches are handled due to many having bugs so far, how Microsoft can arbitrarily decide to delete your applications on updates when there's not good reasons to, how much data MS is collecting from users including everything you type in the search box with default settings and many many types of data collection, the unprecedented expanse in control opened up to accessing your personal data allowed in the TOS, how MS can arbitrarily force new features onto your computer and limit your ability to disable it, how the UI has many pointless changes that were supposed to be some kind of win in MS's failed convergence strategy (between the Nokia disaster and Windows RT, MS blew about $10 billion attempting to unify and take over the mobile and desktop space, which a single OS was something no one but MS wanted in order to retain its hold on computing as it continues to slip) and this is just the major highlights. With a few more minutes I can tick off other glaring problems with it. If you're just playing games and web browsing, you probably won't care about Windows 10 issues. Like I said, that's fine if you like it.

What the hell are you guys doing to your systems that Windows 10 is junk on it? I know a shit ton can go wrong and MS is far from perfect but throughout my entire career, starting way back in 1990 when I was 15 I have never gotten to the point of some folks on the internet with their issues. Can't people just fix shit and run a smooth system?
The vocal minority scream the loudest, doesn't mean anything but that. Most people do not have problems with Windows 10. There are some people here that constantly complain so it looks like it's worse than it really is.

I would never go back to 7 or 8.

On my tablet, I cannot agree. I feel that the 8.1 it shipped with was better for tablets. For my desktop, however, it's better. It runs smoother and uses less resources.

Sven... You want to redirect your temp folder and still have %temp% go to the new directory? That's such an obscure thing to want... Nit-picking at its best.

Thats the very purpose of those variable is that it should points to the temp folder.
But if you change it window system does change accordingly but using the variable in batch programs or some install scripts it fails and just return the path to the old unused temp folder location.

You might find it nitpicking, but for some its a glaring issue int something system wise that is not working correctly, that might have a effect on some people. Which is the very point i was trying to make. That some people the difference is an issue and for some it is not. different people = different system usage = different needs ans benefits.
So it shouldn't be hard to understand why some people prefer windows 7 and some people prefer windows 10.

its just like people not understanding why other people work in CLI. for some task GUI is nice for something else CLI is faster.

Windows 10 should be rejected for the sole reason that it represents a change in Microsofts attitude. They're owning your computer when you install Windows 10 instead of you.

Also previous windows versions were bad in this but shits gone completely out of hand with Windows 10. It's not even so much that they wanted to become another OSX where stuff just happens for you - but they can't get it working even half as good as OSX does.

The most important thing for me is that it is a fast and stable OS. Mac OS X, which I came from, has been going downhill since Snow Leopard, and for me, Windows 10 is a real improvement over the buggy, iOS/OS X mashup going on now. I am concerned about the telemetry but I have disabled most of it. I even found a small, free piece of software (called 'Seer') to mimic OS X's file 'preview' feature, which is nice.

Currently running macOS Sierra without a single issue. What issues did you experience under OSX?

Windows does it's job as intended, however if I had to choose between Windows 10 and OSX/macOS it'd be OSX/macOS for sure.

Windows 10 should be rejected for the sole reason that it represents a change in Microsofts attitude. They're owning your computer when you install Windows 10 instead of you.

Also previous windows versions were bad in this but shits gone completely out of hand with Windows 10. It's not even so much that they wanted to become another OSX where stuff just happens for you - but they can't get it working even half as good as OSX does.

The whole industry is shifting that way, Microsoft is just following the trends this time. Linux can be set up any way you like if it bothers you. Windows 7 is only a temporary option, at some point you'll have to switch to a newer version of Windows or another OS when hardware support dries up.

Currently running macOS Sierra without a single issue. What issues did you experience under OSX?

Windows does it's job as intended, however if I had to choose between Windows 10 and OSX/macOS it'd be OSX/macOS for sure.

But you guys run every OS in the world without issue besides Windows. Seems pretty sketchy.

But you guys run every OS in the world without issue besides Windows. Seems pretty sketchy.

Why would it? OSX is genuinely good and Linux doesn't force anything on you. You can make it just as you want it. You can also break it and then have fun fixing it. But it won't force you to boot your computer and oops your stuff's gone aka Windows.

My main gripe against Windows 10 is this: there are still machines out there that boot to nothing but a black screen after install or updating to the Anniversary Update. Because you can not control the updating behavior, my mother's laptop can not be rebooted anymore or it boots to a black screen. The only fix was restoring a backup from before the anniversary update rolled out, and putting the computer in sleep mode instead of turning it off. Microsoft refuses to acknowledge the issue or fix it. The laptop worked fine with the original version of Windows 10.

I haven't run AmigaOS for decades. Although it was a true crime Amiga went under. Windows just has a lot of issues especially with all the crap MS pushes down consumers throats with Win10 now. I don't enjoy having to clean up their mess, I prefer to break my own computer personally thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've used almost all Windows versions, and bugs mostly aren't show stoppers for me.

But I now have serious trust issues with MS, which I haven't had in the past.

The OS part (7,8,10) is more polished now and judging by the lack of service calls - it's okay. But I'm in the process of switching a few willing users over to Debian/Mint/Ubuntu just to avoid getting caught with my pants down when a bad patch gets pushed and the apocalypse happens :p

I had Wifi connectivity problems after upgrading to Lion (fixed after a firmware patch) and it happened again on Yosemite on a 2010 Mac Pro; had Mail crash repeatedly on opening after upgrade; system preferences panes crashing on opening. These are all reported OS problems which were patched, for the most part. Every time this happened Apple support had me lug in a 70lbs machine to an Apple store only to find nothing wrong. Anyway, I switched to a Windows workstation and it has been good since, although the switch was not about the OS, it was for better hardware.

They removed features, made stupid and unnecessary changes to the UI, added data mining and advertising, Windows Update has been broken on 7/8 for over a year, and their rude marketing people astroturf forums and other media. Windows 10 is a terrible product and nobody should use it.

If you'd told me I'd be running Linux two years ago I would have laughed at you. I'm now running Linux Mint on all but one of my machines. All of my favorite games are Linux native. It's really weird to go a week or more at a time without seeing Windows.

I never claimed that I've never had issues under Linux, I argued that many of the the generalised claims made by Windows users were incorrect. I also never claimed that Windows was super shitty, I run a number of Windows 10 PC's here as well as a Windows 2012 SBS and Windows does what it's supposed to do - Unlike some of the Windows users here though, I'm not that blinded by MS that I'd claim that Windows 10 is the be all and end of of operating systems and everything should behave like it.

And I have two AmigaOS machines here.

As for the hipster comment, Linux is used by a number of individuals now, including being used almost exclusively in the Hollywood special effects industry. These are everyday people, very talented people, certainly not hipsters - Once again a generalisation from the Unix 70's/80's mainframe on college campus days that by no means holds true anymore.

I had Wifi connectivity problems after upgrading to Lion (fixed after a firmware patch) and it happened again on Yosemite on a 2010 Mac Pro; had Mail crash repeatedly on opening after upgrade; system preferences panes crashing on opening. These are all reported OS problems which were patched, for the most part. Every time this happened Apple support had me lug in a 70lbs machine to an Apple store only to find nothing wrong. Anyway, I switched to a Windows workstation and it has been good since, although the switch was not about the OS, it was for better hardware.

I have experienced that WiFi issue, and yes, it is very annoying. I run a Mac Mini so I connect via Ethernet, I admit I forgot about that problem - I must say, I've yet to experience it under macOS Sierra.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question should be:

Do I care?

You can't comment as to why my reasoning isn't valid with regards to the hipster comment and then act like it doesn't matter at all. If you aren't sure, feel free to Bing it.

I have experienced that WiFi issue, and yes, it is very annoying. I run a Mac Mini so I connect via Ethernet, I admit I forgot about that problem - I must say, I've yet to experience it under macOS Sierra.

Yup, I had to run ethernet cable to the computer in the end (that was grief). It turned out okay: ethernet is generally nicer and more secure than WiFi anyway. :) Best wishes for the Christmas!

Yup, I had to run ethernet cable to the computer in the end (that was grief). It turned out okay: ethernet is generally nicer and more secure than WiFi anyway. :) Best wishes for the Christmas!

I've got the whole house wired with Cat6 all the way back to the garage, works great, only use WiFi on the mobile devices - Although I did have to temporarily set the Mac Mini up in a section of the house with no Ethernet and didn't experience the issue under macOS Sierra.

Thank you Snoflo, best wishes right back at ya for Christmas and the new year my friend! :)

I'm working 99% of the time through wifi on my macbook pro. It looks like I made the correct call not upgrading to Sierra although my business partner who always upgrades even the beta OSes hasn't complained of any problems.

I'm going to stick at El Capitain for the sole reason of most likely having to repurchase many of my softwares after the upgrade. That shit don't fly with me anymore EVEN if the company is paying for it.

The issue with repurchasing software after any major update on the Apple platform is annoying, in my case it's usually Parallels requiring an update.

Although I have to say it hasn't happened after upgrading to Sierra.

It's a fine OS. Except - from a pro-sumer (Pro consumer?) standpoint, it lacks some things. Turn off Windows Updates. You can't. You can make your connection appear as a metered connection, which helps. But, there is no option to turn it off. Is that a problem? Hasn't been for me. I manually check daily, I reboot when needed for Insider builds, etc.. No issues here. But, read the forums here, Microsoft Answers, reddit, etc.. There have been more than a few Windows Updates that have screwed the pooch on quite a few things. The consumer has become the beta tester for those updates. Telemetry is another sore spot for those looking for privacy. Nothing to hide, but dammit some people don't want their information just given without permission.

All the issues I've had with Windows 10 have been either 1) user created (screwing with registry, tweaking things here and there, testing things, etc..) or 2) listed on the known issues on the Insiders page before you download. I'm not even a unique case. There are a whole lot of people that haven't had a single issue with Windows 10 other than things they did or third party software. Those people with problems? Many are caused by Microsoft themselves... Bugs.

Back