Windows 10 is free for Win 7 - 8.1 users?

I sure hope it's easy to do clean installs.
I don't even get the point of trying to "upgrade" when the OS uses an image based installation. It's just going to make a mess.

Citation needed. Because nowhere have I read that retail will be transferable. What is your assumption based on?

Haven't retail copies of Windows always been transferable? In any case it's funny seeing anti-Microsoft people freak out over this and then come up with FUD about subscriptions and now quibbling issues of transferability, which will work probably like it always has, retail transferable and OEM not, not technically at any rate. It's like somehow this is bad thing. But it's not and some are trying to come up with any lame ass excuse they can when this is a good thing for the average consumer.

Citation needed. Because nowhere have I read that retail will be transferable. What is your assumption based on?

The concern is over Microsoft's specific language about "for the life of the device" - if they intend that only to apply to OEM keys, why mention it in a general presentation intended for a wide audience?

Think I'll be staying put on Windows 8.0 until we know for sure that Windows 10 won't require purchase of a new license if I want to upgrade my PC, or motherboard dies, or any number of legit issues that can arise.

Because based on what is being said, there is nothing being changed about Microsoft's licensing model. That means that retail licenses can be transferred as long as it is deactivated first, while OEM is tied to a particular motherboard.

while OEM is tied to a particular motherboard.

there were easy ways around that...I always used OEM versions of Windows and was always able to reformat and re-activate the OS...once you run out of 'activations' you just call the MS call center to re-activate...will this still apply with Windows 10 after the first year free upgrade period?

there were easy ways around that...I always used OEM versions of Windows and was always able to reformat and re-activate the OS...once you run out of 'activations' you just call the MS call center to re-activate...will this still apply with Windows 10 after the first year free upgrade period?

When I called MS to re-activate, it was kind of a funny experience. I got to the part where it asked me how many other computers I have used this license on and I said "1" (my old one previously had it, but I uninstalled it - it turns out it was wanting to know how many others it is CURRENTLY on)

It said I'm not allowed to use my license on more than 1 computer and hung up. I was like, oh, it wanted to know how many other computers is using that single user license at the same time.

I called back and then when I got to that part I said "0" and then it re-activated.

It all worked out, but was still kinda retarded.

Like I said previously, there will probably be ways around it. It doesn't look like the licensing model is changing, so it stands to reason that what was done for Vista, 7, and 8 will continue to be done for 10. Therefore, I expect a similar pricing structure as well.

Think I'll be staying put on Windows 8.0 until we know for sure that Windows 10 won't require purchase of a new license if I want to upgrade my PC, or motherboard dies, or any number of legit issues that can arise.
I'm fairly certain clarification will be provided prior to or on release. So, yes, it logically follows that you shouldn't upgrade until Windows 10 has been, uh, released.

Cortana on Mobile, Xbone and PC? Fuck yeah.... One desktop on PC, full compatibility with phone system and desktop? yeah... game streaming from Xbone? yeah...

Worst part is waiting for all this goodies. And I don't bother with if it's subscription or one time payment. If it has all the advertised function, then shut up and let me install it nao :)

I don't even get the point of trying to "upgrade" when the OS uses an image based installation. It's just going to make a mess.
It will likely do a windows.old thing.

I think they mean they want some sort of clean install method with an upgrade key as long as you have some other way to prove eligibility. As well, this "free for a year upgrade" thing probably won't be able to clean install, so us OCD types will qualify for a free thing we can't really use. Cuz I just do not 'do' upgrades.

It will likely do a windows.old thing.

I think they mean they want some sort of clean install method with an upgrade key as long as you have some other way to prove eligibility. As well, this "free for a year upgrade" thing probably won't be able to clean install, so us OCD types will qualify for a free thing we can't really use. Cuz I just do not 'do' upgrades.

When I had upgrade from 98 to XP, I had to put the 98 CD during XP installation, so it could verify that I owned an original disk. RIght now it will be propably like this, that first the tool examines your key, if it's valid, it let you download upgrade for clean install or possibly that upgrade will use your windows key.

What they haven't answered is this:

Can I buy I nice retail copy of Win10 for a fixed price that I can install with nothing more intrusive then an email address to register my account against?

I don't want their software-as-a-service lark, and certainly will not be paying a subscription. I don't want a relationship with microsoft, i want a framework that allows me to install and run software which I deem useful/entertaining.

What they haven't answered is this:

Can I buy I nice retail copy of Win10 for a fixed price that I can install with nothing more intrusive then an email address to register my account against?

I don't want their software-as-a-service lark, and certainly will not be paying a subscription. I don't want a relationship with microsoft, i want a framework that allows me to install and run software which I deem useful/entertaining.

Considering that Windows 10 will have desktop / game capture built into it, I can't see why you are even thinking about privacy. ;) I can see someone at the NSA streaming my greatest pron hits collection. :D :D :D

hehe, i take the point.

but i appreciate Windows7 requiring essentially no relationship between myself and MS
i can just about accept Win 8/8.1 requiring nothing more than an email address, as I can always create a separate email just for that purpose, as I do with google/android.

for all the flawed assumption that might be derived about privacy under these conditions, it is a compromise I can live with.
I'm not sure i can live with microsoft knowing the core of what is me online: email, credit card number, address, etc.

I just saw that too. I wonder if you can do fresh installs of 10 with a 7 key. Because upgrading is for suckers.
I imagine the same way you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 now: Windows Update.

Once upgraded I would hope you could either back up the activation or extract a key (if they don't give you one) and do a clean install.

As long as you can disable it like in 8, I'm fine with that ;)
The problem is that Cortana is now the search for Windows. If you disable Cortana you cannot use the Start Menu search like in Technical Preview.

I suppose it would be helpful to search right from the task bar rather than clicking Start (I use the search a lot) but I absolutely want to be able to disable Cortana's "suggestions".

hehe, i take the point.

but i appreciate Windows7 requiring essentially no relationship between myself and MS
i can just about accept Win 8/8.1 requiring nothing more than an email address, as I can always create a separate email just for that purpose, as I do with google/android.

for all the flawed assumption that might be derived about privacy under these conditions, it is a compromise I can live with.
I'm not sure i can live with microsoft knowing the core of what is me online: email, credit card number, address, etc.

I have no relationship with Microsoft on my Windows 8.1 installation besides the ones where I want to have one. I sign in with a local account, don't really use the store, and only use the email app for convenience purposes.

I imagine the same way you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 now: Windows Update.

Once upgraded I would hope you could either back up the activation or extract a key (if they don't give you one) and do a clean install.

The problem is that Cortana is now the search for Windows. If you disable Cortana you cannot use the Start Menu search like in Technical Preview.

I suppose it would be helpful to search right from the task bar rather than clicking Start (I use the search a lot) but I absolutely want to be able to disable Cortana's "suggestions".

Well, that sucks. But as long as you can disable searching online or sending data to Microsoft like 8, it should be fine.

I have no relationship with Microsoft on my Windows 8.1 installation besides the ones where I want to have one. I sign in with a local account

Thats right, you shouldn't be giving them your email unless you want to. Did you fall for their trap where it looks like you have to create a Microsoft account to install 8.1?

If you click "use an existing account" then there is an option to sign in without an account. They hid it like this to trick people into creating accounts, its very shady.

When I had upgrade from 98 to XP, I had to put the 98 CD during XP installation, so it could verify that I owned an original disk. RIght now it will be propably like this, that first the tool examines your key, if it's valid, it let you download upgrade for clean install or possibly that upgrade will use your windows key.
Like I said, that's useless for me. When I install Windows, I wipe the entire OS drive clean and boot from an installation media. That breaks any kind of MS upgrade scenario entirely.

It's 2015, what am I gonna do, insert my original ISO?

hopefully MS will release a new iso next week for the new build and not force everyone to update each build

Like I said, that's useless for me. When I install Windows, I wipe the entire OS drive clean and boot from an installation media. That breaks any kind of MS upgrade scenario entirely.

Probably the same thing you do now with Windows 8 upgrade keys. I don't know the process off the top of my head, but I do know there is a method for a clean install with upgrade keys.

So, is it "For the first year of availability, you get to upgrade for free," or is it,"You upgrade for the first year, free, then we charge you?"

People who keep brining this up are stretching it. If you have 7 or 8.1 the upgrade to 10 will be available for free for the first year after the release of 10. And that's it. No charge ever for 10 if you get the free upgrade during the first year of availability. Period. There's just nothing else to say about it.

Well, that sucks. But as long as you can disable searching online or sending data to Microsoft like 8, it should be fine.
I see if you go into Task Bar properties you can disable the search and remove the search box. if you click Start it brings it back. I suppose that's similar to Windows 7. Problem is when you try to customize Cortana settings (to disable the online searching) the system just bugs out and doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
People who keep brining this up are stretching it. If you have 7 or 8.1 the upgrade to 10 will be available for free for the first year after the release of 10. And that's it. No charge ever for 10 if you get the free upgrade during the first year of availability. Period. There's just nothing else to say about it.

Nice try but you haven't seen the EULA, so you don't know more than anyone else, and certainly aren't qualified to conclude that "there's nothing more to say".

The devil, as always, will be in the details.

Nice try but you haven't seen the EULA, so you don't know more than anyone else, and certainly aren't qualified to conclude that "there's nothing more to say".

The devil, as always, will be in the details.

It's already been clearly explained. You're just making up an issue that isn't there.

hehe, i take the point.

Windows 8.x doesn't require an email address. The concept of a local-only user account is still there.

Same goes for Windows 10, at present. It will still let you make a local user account not tied to a Microsoft account.

Look at it like Windows 8. We all moaned and groaned that MS couldn't really do/release 8 as they did, but they did anyway. We all moan and groan that MS couldn't release as subscription, so they probably will.

That's what I'm wondering. I'm not doing an upgrade. I'm doing a clean install. I don't want to install Windows 7 or 8 then do an upgrade. I want to do a clean install of my OS.

Hopefully, they can address that. Otherwise, release a full version for $15 or whatever like they did with Windows 8.

the function to change toilet water into drinking water, is that function build in windows 10 as well?:D

Back