Windows 10 Is A Free Upgrade For All 7 And 8.1 Users

I will laugh myself til I need air if Windows 10 turns out to be pay-forever Windows.

Seems to me that they're trying to draw as many people from earlier versions to Win 10, and once they've got them, a subscription service will be revealed which will incorporate Win 10, but nothing before that.

I'm still not interested in tiles, nor in a closed marketspace, nor in the cloud. I'll stick with Win 7 Pro.

Love how THERE IS NO INFO at Windows.com about this announcement. Just went, looked at the front page, then searched... Sigh.

its-a-trap.jpg

So much vitriol over nothing. That slide really could be interpreted both ways.

"During the first year after release, you may upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 for free."

"Upgrading your Windows 7 or 8 will entitle you to one year of subscription to Windows 10 for free."

If this is a standard upgrade this is huge and MS just got back into the mobile race. If its a subscription or some trick this will be the biggest backfire in their history and probably not be something they can recover from.

I ain't doing it, MS can roll up the subscription model and shove it up their ass.
Windows 7 gives out on me, I am going Zorin OS if its still alive, and whatever programs I can use there.
Enough bullshit with the monthly/yearly milking you slowly crap, I am sick of it.

From the liveblog Q&A:

Question: Beyond the promotional period, will you have to pay to get upgrades?

Nadella: "There is not fundamental change to our business model." It's more that they want to service Windows users differently. So, there is still a device fee associated with Windows. None of that is changing.

But but but: There is a *promotional* offer on the upgrade, with a one-year window in which you can upgrade for free. Hope that clears things up.

From the liveblog Q&A:

Question: Beyond the promotional period, will you have to pay to get upgrades?

Nadella: "There is not fundamental change to our business model." It's more that they want to service Windows users differently. So, there is still a device fee associated with Windows. None of that is changing.

But but but: There is a *promotional* offer on the upgrade, with a one-year window in which you can upgrade for free. Hope that clears things up.

As with most of what nutella says, I don't know I might be and idiot, but I don't get it.
A fee, but its that a one-time fee for the OEMs as in a license fee or what?

If you miss the 1year window you pay a fee. After that it's free. What's so hard to understand here?

They are phrasing it like that on purpose. They know many will interpret it both ways, so they will get feedback on both models. That way if they get too much lash back about the subscription model they can switch it up, or maybe force it upon us if met with semi positive reviews. They will lie and switch things up in a second if they get enough negative feedback. Xbox one release showed us this as a recent example

It's a subscription based model. It's free for the first year and then you start paying. Who needs Linux when you have Windows Pay Forever edition? Who needs to convince developers to start porting their favorite games and applications to Linux when Windows is your one stop shop?

rmx-keep-calm-and-use-linux_o_760714.jpg

I'm so confused right now....

I don't mind a sub, nor a fee, I just want it to be reasonable.

$100 a computer is un-reasonable for a consumer OS.

Ok. Here is how I see it. Which seems to be how they worded it.

If they release Win10 on March 1st, 2015. You can upgrade from Win7, 8, or 8.1 for free until March 1st 2016.

On March 2nd 2016, if you still have Win7, 8 , or 8.1 and want to upgrade to Win10. You will need to pay $XX dollars to upgrade.

Good lord, read the Q&A. It's a free upgrade PERIOD. So, if you upgrade during the first year you got Win 10 free. If you upgrade AFTER that, you pay for the upgrade, ONCE.

Windows_10_0121_34.jpg

You're right, reading comprehension is hard, idiot.

Your reading comprehension is still bad.

From the article:
Wondering how much Windows 10 will set you back? In most cases, nothing. Microsoft has announced that the new operating system will be a free upgrade in the first year for everyone using Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1.

Good lord, read the Q&A. It's a free upgrade PERIOD. So, if you upgrade during the first year you got Win 10 free. If you upgrade AFTER that, you pay for the upgrade, ONCE.

People are suspicious of what salespeople / presenters say, MS is no different. MS also tried some severely screwed up stuff with the Xbone, and the massive backlash caused them to back pedal. Now is the time to be extremely vocal and force them to explicitly state what the deal is, otherwise we all assume its the worst possible scenario that could be interpreted (as it probably is).

Ok. Here is how I see it. Which seems to be how they worded it.

If they release Win10 on March 1st, 2015. You can upgrade from Win7, 8, or 8.1 for free until March 1st 2016.

On March 2nd 2016, if you still have Win7, 8 , or 8.1 and want to upgrade to Win10. You will need to pay $XX dollars to upgrade.
That doesn't make sense. You know how much it would suck for those who simply didn't download the Windows 10 upgrade cause they didn't do it within the first year? Why one year? Why not just say free upgrade for everyone who's ever owned a copy of Win7+? Why a time limit?

They're being vague on purpose to see everyone's reactions.

They are phrasing it like that on purpose. They know many will interpret it both ways, so they will get feedback on both models. That way if they get too much lash back about the subscription model they can switch it up, or maybe force it upon us if met with semi positive reviews. They will lie and switch things up in a second if they get enough negative feedback. Xbox one release showed us this as a recent example

Agreed. When Microsoft has used vague or carefully chosen verbage in the past, there was usually a reason. If they really did intend to introduce a pay-forever subscription component to Windows 10, well they'd have to know that best case scenario is it would be controversial, thus there would be no upside to revealing those intentions during today's presentation without throwing a wet blanket over the thing and completely neutralizing any good will that they may have garnered during the presentation.

But that's actually a decent offer, so it can't be real (at least in this thread).

Seems to me that they're trying to draw as many people from earlier versions to Win 10, and once they've got them, a subscription service will be revealed which will incorporate Win 10, but nothing before that.
There is now way they would do this; there are many places where it is illegal.

Oh look for the people who can't read. Straight from Microsoft's website.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

That doesn't make sense. You know how much it would suck for those who simply didn't download the Windows 10 upgrade cause they didn't do it within the first year? Why one year? Why not just say free upgrade for everyone who's ever owned a copy of Win7+? Why a time limit?

Here I"ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Marketing 101 is "create a sense of urgency". If they said "free upgrade forever" then people would be in no hurry to upgrade, or figure they'll just upgrade when their PC breaks down or its time to upgrade hardware.

Its just like they lowered the price of the Xbox One but then insist its "for a limited time" and keep doing that over and over. So unless this turns out to be some trick to get everyone into a Windows 10 subscription edition, then after the first year they'll probably say "We've HEARD YOU! We LOVE YOU! So we decided to extend the free upgrade offer... Please buy Metro Store Apps? Please? PLEASE. God please buy them PLEASE."

What that blog says to me is they will no longer be selling windows "retail" copys. Everything will be "OEM" and tied to the machine once installed. Those installs will get updates for the rest of their lives. New PC, or upgrade your PC (motherboard? CPU?) and you have to buy windows again. Ya know, like how office works now.

Unless of course you have enterprise licensing...

I'm so confused right now....

I don't mind a sub, nor a fee, I just want it to be reasonable.

$100 a computer is un-reasonable for a consumer OS.

I'm curious why $100 is to much for an OS that will be supported for years to come? Especially when many games, with a season pass, will cost more than that, and will likely be supported for a much shorter period of time.

Oh look for the people who can't read. Straight from Microsoft's website.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Speaking of those who can't read -- you do understand what "something-something AS A SERVICE" means, yes? It's usually tied to a recurring fee. And Microsoft isn't unique here, that's the industry trend right now, the big "X As a Service" goldrush already underway.

Seems like Microsoft is doing everything but outright stating there will be no subscription fee or components with Windows 10. If they aren't being intentionally vague, they need to clarify ASAP before the blogosphere runs away with this.

Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

You're over thinking it.

Think of it like a steam sale.

If you buy a game during the steam sale for 100% off, it's free during the steam sale! Once the steam sale is over, the game goes back to being it's original price.

The same applies here. Microsoft is having a "steam sale" for Windows 10 for people who have Win7, 8, and 8.1 who want to upgrade. The upgrade is 100% off for people who grab it during the sale. After the sale is over, it goes back to being it's original price.

Your reading comprehension is still bad.

From the article:
Wondering how much Windows 10 will set you back? In most cases, nothing. Microsoft has announced that the new operating system will be a free upgrade in the first year for everyone using Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1.

You got hilariously bitch-slapped for being wrong AND a smartass about it. Just stop.

Son of Flynn must have hacked them, so they had to spin it like they're giving it out for free. Yay Encom OS!!

:p

I'm not reading future sub in any of this. I'm thinking there's a new system in all this to fuck over bootlegged copies. That alone would make them gadzillions.

Speaking of those who can't read -- you do understand what "something-something AS A SERVICE" means, yes? It's usually tied to a recurring fee. And Microsoft isn't unique here, that's the industry trend right now, the big "X As a Service" goldrush already underway.

Seems like Microsoft is doing everything but outright stating there will be no subscription fee or components with Windows 10. If they aren't being intentionally vague, they need to clarify ASAP before the blogosphere runs away with this.

"Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no additional charge."

Not sure what's hard to understand about that. Even without direct quotes from Microsoft saying, essentially, "No, when we said free we meant free.", imagine for a minute what would happen to Windows Phone adoption and Surface tablet adoption if they said "So you know how on other mobile devices you get free OS upgrades forever and ever? Yeah we're going to charge for ours." They're already struggling in the phone arena. This wouldn't be shooting themselves in the foot, this would be gnawing their own legs off. I really don't see any reason to believe they're going to start charging a yearly fee for Windows updates outside of anti-Microsoft bias.

I'm not reading future sub in any of this. I'm thinking there's a new system in all this to fuck over bootlegged copies. That alone would make them gadzillions.

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

That's about as clear as they're going to make it. Given that comment, subscription is a near certainty. Provided the backlash is small enough.

I don't understand why people think MS can charge a sub for windows... I don't think it's going to fly... I'm pretty sure people don't want to pay a monthly fee for their OS, I sure as hell don't... I'll stick with 8.1 if that's the case

I agree with you that it won't work. But Microsoft could offer a choice between up-front pricing and subscription pricing, which would be the smart thing to do. At any rate, the story will be told by XP/Vista users who will have to pay up-front for Win10 this year...if they pay $89.95, we'll know that up-front pricing remains an option; but if they pay $33.95 for 2-3 years in a subscription deal--that, too, would just be a form of up-front installment purchasing.

The thing that could probably sink Windows is some kind of "subscription in perpetuity," deal wherein Microsoft would assess an annual charge essentially forever going forward, with no guarantee that customers will even like what Microsoft does with Windows on down the line. OTOH, suppose the subscription was $19.95 a year...?

Still, making Windows a subscription on the par of the AV programs would create a lot of work for Microsoft on the administrative side of the fence which, frankly, Microsoft doesn't need. The up-front pricing model means that the only thing Microsoft has to discover is whether your Windows license is valid--it either is or it isn't. Determining subscription authorization status would easily be far more complicated for Microsoft internally. I for one hope that if subscriptions are offered they are offered alongside the traditional up-front pricing model.

PS: The phase "at no additional charge" is extremely telling. They are trying to appear magnanimous by not charging for this promotional period, while psychologically preparing consumers for a near-future period when they will charge for support.

Back