Windows 10 Installed 75M Times In One Month

What are these ad's you're talking about?
The problematic ads seem to be that MS mines Windows usage itself to target personalized ads in Edge (there's an option to turn it off, but it's on by default), plus games like Solitaire and Minesweeper now have ads (pay to unlock and remove ads). With MS "native ads", web content returned in various OS functionality may include embedded ads if it uses MS network content, plus MS nudges returned Bing results in taskbar/start menu searches (enabled by default).

Basically, worse than ChromeOS.

Lol? 95 wasn't a bust, 98 sucked until SE, XP sucked until SP1. I don't think you remember Windows very well.

Yeah, OK...I started on DOS 3.31 running off FD because my XT had no HDD back then....

Anyway, 95 was pretty glitchy until the 9 hours of dial-up updates finished and applied. 98 was way better out of the box, and even better with SE.

a shiver went down my spine as I read that. I so do not miss those days.

For all the folks who like to complain about Steam and digital software distribution and how they miss physical media it was the same for software patches ... I remember having to get the CD editions of magazines so you could grab the latest patches or sending emails to developers/publishers requested that you be mailed patches ... do not miss those times either :cool:

You mean besides

The return of am improved start button
Windowed apps like photo viewer
A much faster Spartan browser'
And Direct X 12.

Yep nothing to see here.

User preference. Doesn't matter
What version of window's since vista hasn't included a photo viewer?
A featureless but fast browser
A 3D graphics API that won't see hit its stride for years.

I will admit, I like 8.1 better. But I am not fan of the AppX programs either on Win10 or 8.

Zarathustra[H];1041818330 said:
I disagree. I want my phone to be more like my computer, not my computer more like my phone.

I think the world of consumer computing would be significantly different if this were the majority of consumers.

Zarathustra[H];1041818330 said:
The likes of Google, Apple and now Microsoft have gone too far, they absolutely must be stopped.

Gone too far exactly? This is what tends to be the issue when people talk about this subjects. Lots of vague, sweeping and draconian statements but generally very little real world proof of "too far".

Just noticed that he had 95 as bust, probably not how most would see it.

Considering Windows 95 completely changed the way the personal computer worked and operated and those changes are still in place today.....I'd say it was AT LEAST a marginal success story ;)

I upgraded purely for DX12 support. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have bothered.

So far W10 has been working fine.

Exactly one of the primary reasons I don't use my phone (aside from it being inferior to a PC). I know some people like yourself can't seem to separate the difference between two different types of devices though, so we'll end up with a half-assed middle of the road compromise that doesn't excel in any particular area.

I have tons of different Windows, from a 7" HP Stream tablet to three screen desktop to a Surface Pro 3 and even Windows Phones. Why shouldn't the data and experiences between those devices be sharable and interchangeable to the degree possible.

I understand that with physical keyboards and mice that desktops and laptops are better suited for productive purposes, phones and tablets less so but far more portable. But they all can share and leverage the same data. Capture a note or whiteboard on my phone in OneNote, it's automatically on any other device I use. Notes and info captured while working on a bigger device are instantly accessible on my phone or tablet. Playlists, other files, all that stuff being interchangeable is simply what many people want and expect these days.

Considering Windows 95 completely changed the way the personal computer worked and operated and those changes are still in place today.....I'd say it was AT LEAST a marginal success story ;)

Indeed. Personally I've always thought that Windows 3.0 was the most important Windows release ever. Not nearly as big of defining moment in computing as Windows 95 but it was the first version of Windows that was "good" after four years of multiple releases all being "bad".

Shocker...

In other news, Apple gives away 50,000,000 iPhone 6s by offering free upgrades to existing 5, 6 and 6+ iPhone users; story at a 11.

I'd say that was a little bit of an exaggeration.

Windows 95 took the menu system and moved it from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen and created a "start" logo.

Everything else Windows 95 did was done by other operating systems before it.

And where is windows 2000? Anyway Win8 was a huge downgrade compared to Win7, And W10 is albeit a smaller, but still a downgrade (if we disregard the privacy issues). I mean what the hell is going on with the UI styling, it looks disgusting, at least W8 wasn't ugly, just useless. Now W10 would be usable, but it looks crap. What is up with that?

Win2K wasn't highly adopted for the consumer market...it was an enterprise OS with both client and server versions. For the consumer side of things, a handful of months later we were bestowed with WinME.

It was a game changer for sure and a worthy attempt, but the amount of relief I got when Win98 released and promptly installed on all my computers was huge. And then it got even better with 98SE.

Trying to count with high precision every connected device on the planet isn't an exact science. But most people seem to agree that these numbers are reasonable guestimates. The 75 million number Microsoft number is reporting her is consistent with the 6.25% market share. And when Microsoft announced 100 million Windows 10 installs in the next couple of weeks I'm guessing it's market share should be similar to OS X by that tracker. Netmarketshare's August numbers come out in next Tuesday, I'm guessing they'll be roughly showing about the same.

I am more saying that is could be wildly off in either direction. Not imply the success or lack there of of win10. I'm a insider so that pretty much shows where i stand with it, have been for 6 months. I just have a hard time buying it considering how many machines aren't connected to internet, etc.

Hey I'm only responsible for 4 or 5 of those upgrades. And only because they were all free.

Has MS made a single penny off of 10 yet? Has anyone run out and bought their retail copy?

Oh in regards to the windows timelines everyone refers to... why do people always neglect 2000? It was like NT4's bastard child, but it was stable as a rock.

Surprised to see so many people still hating on win8 in here, it looks like the perfect OS in comparison to MS' handling of win10 so far. Been using it since the original release in 2012 and haven't looked back, it seems like I'll be running it for quite a few years more as well.

I am more saying that is could be wildly off in either direction. Not imply the success or lack there of of win10. I'm a insider so that pretty much shows where i stand with it, have been for 6 months. I just have a hard time buying it considering how many machines aren't connected to internet, etc.

But how would anyone have any idea about just how many machines aren't connected to Internet? Clearly there's plenty but most of them are probably embedded types of devices which really wouldn't have much to do with the consumer or even the enterprise desktop space.

Here's an interesting look back at Windows uptake rates through the years: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-momentum

Hey I'm only responsible for 4 or 5 of those upgrades. And only because they were all free.

Has MS made a single penny off of 10 yet? Has anyone run out and bought their retail copy?

Microsoft doesn't make much money from consumer retail and upgrade sales. That's one of the reasons it did the free upgrades, get more users into the store and paid services because selling OSes to consumers wasn't a big business anyway plus it was dying and everyone else gives away the OS now on top of that.

How many of those people were unsuspecting or just dumb end users and clicked "okay" just to make the incessant nag about "upgrading" go away. You can't even resume from sleep without getting the fucking nag.

This was literally the text from my friend the other day, a buddy I built a Win7 based gaming rig for: "I think I clicked something I shouldn't have, my Windows is now all jacked up after it did something for an hour".

I upgraded purely for DX12 support. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have bothered.

Except why bother when there aren't any DX12 games? And really won't be until next year

People rushing to install W10 before the spying is dialed back = insane.

Except why bother when there aren't any DX12 games? And really won't be until next year

It depends.

I upgraded on launch day.

I didn't know to expect the spying, but I always dig into the advanced options during install, and saw it and disabled what I could immediately.

I knew there would be problems both technical and privacy early on, but I don't really do anything "private" in windows. I just install and play a few games. Don't even use a web browser. I do all that from my linux boot.

The faster more people adopt 10 the faster all of the rumors of data being stolen and sold off or some mega-disaster hack that causes Windows Update to infect all Windows 10 PCs with a virus get creditability and Microsoft is fucked or fall it all ends up in the waste bin of no one gives a shit. For all of those hoping for a market share flop like Windows 8.x, baring some kind of privacy or hacking cataclysm 10 is set to shatter adoption records.

95 was really good, a lot to learn at the time and a huge leap forward for the pc market. Still being mainly dos based it was easy for us old guys to still make system changes. (boot into DOS mode....)

Are you calling me old :)

I'll be back after I chase those darn kids off the lawn......

Connecting to servers isn't the same as uploading files on hard drives or keylogging.

So you've analyzed all the traffic sent to those server connections over a few week to make sure nothing personal slipped through? Didn't think so. I'll wait on upgrading my home systems until this snooping issue has been sorted out.

Plus an install doesn't mean the same as someone actually running Windows 10.

I've upgraded 3 old laptops at work to Windows 10, just to see if they would run any better. Each one upgraded fine from Windows 7 and I then did a fresh install, and Windows 10 installed every driver (after a few update cycles) and licensed automatically. I was actually surprised at how smooth it went.
Nobody is actually using these systems, so Upgrades = +3, actual in use = 0

Main reason I upgraded them was to test the upgrade process, and to make sure the systems had a full Windows 10 license before the free year was out. These old laptops will likely be recycled soon, so I can make the ones that are still usable available to employees with a fresh new OS install.

Yeah, OK...I started on DOS 3.31 running off FD because my XT had no HDD back then....

Anyway, 95 was pretty glitchy until the 9 hours of dial-up updates finished and applied. 98 was way better out of the box, and even better with SE.

Dos 3.31? Nubie.
When I started working with PC's it was Dos 1.1. It added support for double sided floppies over Dos 1.0's single sided floppies. Then Dos 2.0 came out, and they added one more sector per track raising the disk capacity from 320KB to 360KB, plus they added support for the IBM XT with a 10MB hard drive!

Zarathustra[H];1041818340 said:
I for one like the Win10 styling better than Win 8.

I do wish you could collapse the start menu if you don't have any pinned tiles in it though. Now it's just big and empty looking.

You can collapse the start menu. Just drag the edges or the top right corner to resize it like you might with an application window. It should look like this: http://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/windows-10-small-start-menu.jpg

Personally though, I've just installed Classic Shell. It lets you change the layout of the start menu but keep the WIndows 10 theme if you like (or go back to a Windows 7 theme if you prefer).

Why hasn't anyone performed a thorough, objective analysis of Windows 10's telemetry data sharing yet?

Dos 3.31? Nubie.
When I started working with PC's it was Dos 1.1. It added support for double sided floppies over Dos 1.0's single sided floppies. Then Dos 2.0 came out, and they added one more sector per track raising the disk capacity from 320KB to 360KB, plus they added support for the IBM XT with a 10MB hard drive!

Before DOS 3.31 I was rocking CB 7.0 / CP/M 3.0
...and before that Atari VCS.

Oh, how far we've come!

You can collapse the start menu. Just drag the edges or the top right corner to resize it like you might with an application window. It should look like this: http://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/windows-10-small-start-menu.jpg

Personally though, I've just installed Classic Shell. It lets you change the layout of the start menu but keep the WIndows 10 theme if you like (or go back to a Windows 7 theme if you prefer).

Nice, I could have sworn I tried that, but maybe I didn't.

Will have to when I get home. Thanks!

I agree, only communicate on the internet when I initiate the conversation.

All these privacy and control issues have started me on serious look at switching to linux. I'm sure I'd do a dual boot setup just to keep Windows for gaming and maybe Photoshop. Other than that, I don't use any Microsoft applications/Apps except for some of the utilities that have come with the OS (command line, RoboCopy, etc). All my daily use applications are freeware or open source (jEdit, eclipse, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, etc). It shouldn't be too hard switch.

Dos 3.31? Nubie.

Wow, you guys must be older than me, which is saying something :p

After doing enough damage to my parents XT I got my own computer when I was 11. It cost me a combined Xmas / Birthday gift plus a couple of years of my allowance, but I finally had my own.

It was a ghetto home built by a local computer shop from spare parts kind of deal.

A 12Mhz 286 with a 256KB VGA card, PC Beep speaker, single 5.25" HD drive, 1MB of RAM (lol at 4x 256kb SIMs) and a 20MB hard drive. (MFM anyone?)

I believe I started on MS Does 3.31, but shortly later upgraded to 5.0

At some point I also bought a Sound blaster, but that wasn't until a couple of years later.

Because I loved experimenting, at one point I had that 20MB HD split up into three partitions, Boot, applications and games :p

I enjoyed the hell out of the orignal Civlization, Ports of Call, Xwing, Dune, Dune II, Wolfenstein 3D, all the Sierra adventure games (Hero Quest / Quest for Glory were my favorites) Rick Dangerous, Commander Keen, etc. etc. I even ran Doom on that 286 when it came out.

Good times, loved that computer, but I do have to admit, I was a little envious of my friends who had Amiga 500's as those thigns had way cooler looking and sounding games at the time.

Ahh, that memory lane...

I wonder how many of those 75 million are like me....I installed it on 4 machines and a few weeks later uninstalled it on 4 machines......

You mean besides

The return of am improved start button
Windowed apps like photo viewer
A much faster Spartan browser'
And Direct X 12.

Yep nothing to see here.

Hm, I like Classic Shell much more than the new Start Menu (alphabetical listing?? really?).

I haven't found a Windows 8/8.1/10 App that I've liked yet, Windowed or otherwise.

At this point, the Spartan browser is only good if you can get by without addons. Things like ad blockers, noscript, etc. I don't want to give up all my browser addons.

Direct X 12 is the one thing in your list that I can agree with at this time.

Microsoft needs to unify themselves in terms of customer support and technology. They still lag behind Android and iOS in terms of simplicity and certain types of efficiencies.

Back