Windows 10 Home paging file help

pgwalsh

Gawd
My wife's cousin has asked me to help cleanup and speed up her Lenovo C260. It's certainly nothing special but it's what they can afford. I've updated all the drivers and cleaned out all the malware I can find and have definitely sped things up by turning of a lot of things including Cortana. The computer has 4GB of ram, but the paging file was set at under 1GB and I am looking for recommendations on what I should set it to.

The C260 has 1GB hdd and 10% if full. There's really no way to upgrade (it nor do I think its' worth it), but any recommendations on tricks to eek out a bit more performance are appreciated.

Peter

One of the best performance improvements you can make is to open services.msc and disable that bloody Windows Search. It's a HDD thrashing nightmare.

that's a good tip. and now that I think of it techyescity on yt has a couple good optimization vids.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to look into disabling windows search and I'm not familiar with techyescity.

I'm a bit out of the loop since my main OS is Linux.

If you can get to that hard disk then a cheap SSD is totally worth it.

Doesn't look too hard but shitty music warning

Just wanted to thank all of you for your advice. I was able to use most of the suggestions. I disabled Windows Search and followed the youtuber techyescity's guide. I didn't do everything he suggested but the majority. I think it's about as fast as it's going to get without going SSD. I think I'd rather have them buy something new down the road then start adding to what's a pretty minimal computer.

Thanks again

Peter

My wife's cousin has asked me to help cleanup and speed up her Lenovo C260. It's certainly nothing special but it's what they can afford. I've updated all the drivers and cleaned out all the malware I can find and have definitely sped things up by turning of a lot of things including Cortana. The computer has 4GB of ram, but the paging file was set at under 1GB and I am looking for recommendations on what I should set it to.

The C260 has 1GB hdd and 10% if full. There's really no way to upgrade (it nor do I think its' worth it), but any recommendations on tricks to eek out a bit more performance are appreciated.

Peter
Unless you have specific reasons that you completely understand, the page file should be set to system managed which is the default Windows setting. If there was a better setting for it, it would be set that way out of the box. In the case you describe, you most certainly do not want a 1GB page file.

So back in the virtual memory page, click on C: click system managed, then check automatically manage at the top, then reboot.
One of the best performance improvements you can make is to open services.msc and disable that bloody Windows Search. It's a HDD thrashing nightmare.
Initially, yes. But after the index is built it does not constantly thrash. After you do a clean install of 10 on a system with an HDD, just leave it running for a few hours and it will eventually calm down.

Last edited:
Unless you have specific reasons that you completely understand, the page file should be set to system managed which is the default Windows setting. If there was a better setting for it, it would be set that way out of the box. In the case you describe you, you most certainly do not want a 1GB page file.

This. Setting the Page File too small results in a BSOD, setting it too large results in wasted HD space. Just let the system manage it; it's not like we're hurting for HD space in this day and age.

Unless you have specific reasons that you completely understand, the page file should be set to system managed which is the default Windows setting. If there was a better setting for it, it would be set that way out of the box. In the case you describe, you most certainly do not want a 1GB page file.

So back in the virtual memory page, click on C: click system managed, then check automatically manage at the top, then reboot.Initially, yes. But after the index is built it does not constantly thrash. After you do a clean install of 10 on a system with an HDD, just leave it running for a few hours and it will eventually calm down.

Thanks. I already set it to system managed size.

Back