Windows 10: Halfway Through January 2016; worth it yet?

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
So I have had zero motivation to "upgrade" to Windows 10, considering that if anything I consider the interface a bit of a downgrade from Windows 7.

However, there was much hype about Windows 10 improving AMD performance. Now that we're in 2016, have we seen any games where there is a noticeable difference yet, particularly on AMD 290x's (of which I have four) or crossfire in general?

Last I checked, three months ago, there was for all intents and purposes zero difference.

Have things changed yet?

It depends on what are you looking for?

Does it give more performance? No
.... more reliability ? No
.... more features ? No
.... better compatibility? No
.... better UI? No
.... better customization ? No
.... handholding ? Yes
.... forced updates (even broken driver updates) ? Yes
.... blatant data collection on everything you do ? Yes

But hey, it has DX12, that is completely meaningless now, and MS says you're in danger and UFOs might take you if you don't upgrade right away.

But in all seriousness there is no reason to upgrade to W10 apart from satisfying your curiosity.

As a main and only rig hell no. I run 3 windows 10 machine at home but my gaming rig is windows 8 and they all run about the same feel for the hardware they have. I don't think windows 10 is Satan but it sure isn't Santa either.

I really don't like accessing control panel and stuff on Windows 10. Seems counter intuitive. Things like doing a new install and wanting to put your my computer icon on the desktop are different on 10 than 7 and 8.

probably better to ask this question in the Operating System Section..

.... more features ? No
.... better UI? No
.... handholding ? Yes

But hey, it has DX12, that is completely meaningless now, and MS says you're in danger and UFOs might take you if you don't upgrade right away.

But in all seriousness there is no reason to upgrade to W10 apart from satisfying your curiosity.

quoted for truth.

My Project Cars performance increased by 20% - 30% the day that Win 10 launched and I installed it and the new AMD drivers for Win 10. Haven't reinstalled 8 to see if the new drivers did anything for it. Win 10 is more multithreaded than 7 or 8. So it has made my FX-9370 live on for awhile longer.

I agree that the Windows Store crap is unnecessary. But I did find a video playback app in it that will work with FreeSync. My buddy keeps gushing about how great FreeSync is; I guess I'll grab something sooner than I wish to.

Um, well it's kinda 7 without the control. It has a nice weather widget built in! You can also mount ISO files without needing alcohol 120.
Besides that I really don't see or feel anything different.
I've also had some driver crashes, blue screens so as for more hardy, not yet.

probably better to ask this question in the Operating System Section..
Well, it was AMD that was promising some game changing DX12 action, so I was specifically wondering if we were finally seeing any difference in performance for AMD and crossfire setups specifically from a video performance standpoint (gaming).

I'm afraid in the OS forum they would tell me about a bunch of things of no consequence to the specific question of "AMD Gaming Performance and Windows 10/DX12".

Sounds like consensus is that I will stay on Windows 7 and revisit this question in 2017.

Why not linux? :)
Linux I have seen from many reviews is a measurable performance downgrade from Windows 7, as much as 10-15% lower FPS... drivers apparently just aren't very good. I also have no software library for it, and so overall that just wouldn't make any sense.

I dunno I cannot see any difference between 7 and 10 with the games I play... they all run great...

.... more features ? No
.... better UI? No
.... handholding ? Yes

+1 for overall reality of win 10

MS better make Windows 10 more appealing before the 1 year 'upgrade' window expires in June...all their heavy-handed tactics to force people to upgrade is only making them look more desperate and pathetic

My Project Cars performance increased by 20% - 30% the day that Win 10 launched and I installed it and the new AMD drivers for Win 10. Haven't reinstalled 8 to see if the new drivers did anything for it. Win 10 is more multithreaded than 7 or 8. So it has made my FX-9370 live on for awhile longer.

I agree that the Windows Store crap is unnecessary. But I did find a video playback app in it that will work with FreeSync. My buddy keeps gushing about how great FreeSync is; I guess I'll grab something sooner than I wish to.

seems we both have equal experience with most thing in these threads, likely because we both have all AMD systems. I can say that memory usage RAM not Vram is better with 10, although with 16Gb probably isn't a big deal. Seems performance is a bit better than 7 but we are talking just a bit not leaps and bounds. Aside from some control panel selections and finding RUN it is quite similar to 7, even so much it looked exactly the same on my desktop to what I was using with 7. I prefer folders and icons over app squares on my PC.

WDDM 2.0 under Win 10 reduces CPU overhead, which is why you see the performance increase in certain very CPU-constrained titles like pCARS.

Linux I have seen from many reviews is a measurable performance downgrade from Windows 7, as much as 10-15% lower FPS... drivers apparently just aren't very good. I also have no software library for it, and so overall that just wouldn't make any sense.

Ya, but it respects you as a user. Drivers will get better over time, alternative software is usually available. It's not as hard a switch as you might think.

MS better make Windows 10 more appealing before the 1 year 'upgrade' window expires in June...all their heavy-handed tactics to force people to upgrade is only making them look more desperate and pathetic

the limited availability of something not limited is a manipulation to make people migrate

remember the "preorders"

windows 10 will never no be free to upgrade to because microsoft will never not want you to become a windows store customer as #1 priority

Ya, but it respects you as a user. Drivers will get better over time, alternative software is usually available. It's not as hard a switch as you might think.

You have better luck switching to Mac OS X. You get most of the benefits of Linux with basically none of the drawbacks.

The free upgrade "window" will never expire, only be extended "by popular demand". With as desperate and obnoxious as they've become with trying to trick people into clicking any button (both say Yes - upgrade) just to make the upgrade pop-up nag go away, they won't suddenly start charging for upgrades while they're struggling just to give it away.

It's marketing 101, they're simply trying to create an artificial "don't wait til it's too late!" like a car lot with a weekend sale.

There are some improvements even in dx11 games....as in it will allocate more ram to what ever game your playing...in other words less unused ram. Is it a huge deal? not really and truthfully its been this way since the first th2 build. I typically monitor this stuff with riva tuner osd...and like bf4 will use one to two extra gb of ram while playing.....So i guess its got way better memory management

seems we both have equal experience with most thing in these threads, likely because we both have all AMD systems. I can say that memory usage RAM not Vram is better with 10, although with 16Gb probably isn't a big deal. Seems performance is a bit better than 7 but we are talking just a bit not leaps and bounds. Aside from some control panel selections and finding RUN it is quite similar to 7, even so much it looked exactly the same on my desktop to what I was using with 7. I prefer folders and icons over app squares on my PC.

In other words, it IS aesthetics.

I don't have a problem with aesthetic quibbles (a new UI - let alone a new UX - is not everyone's cup of tea; I predicted issues with that merely before the Consumer Preview); where I draw the line is lying about it.
Performance being better does matter - how MUCH it matters depends on individual hardware configurations - even in general it won't matter as much on the high end as it does in the mainstream and lower.
Because I don't have a high-end computer (I didn't before the last rebuild, and definitely don't now) performance (and especially stability) matters - if anything, it matters more because I'm NOT at the high-end than it did when I was, comparatively speaking.
I have three main points for an upgrade from my current OS (whether it's a main OS, or a side OS, as I multi-boot, and have done so as a matter of course) - does it let me do what I need TO do in that OS? What software breakage is there? Does the UI or UX itself get in the way of doing what I need to do?
With Windows 8, the reason I looked at number three (UI) first was entirely due to the UI change being slap-in-the-face-with-a-whale obvious. I actually DID expect to have issues with the UI or UX; however, in actual use, the UI/UX changes were, in fact, largely irrelevant.
In other words, I was wrong. Horribly wrong. (And on Neowin (not here), where the debate was - and still is - rather heavy on the subject, I submitted my findings - and ate a heaping helping of crow.)

primetime pointed out the second finding in his own post - memory management, and especially compared (once again) to 7. Memory management IS improved; again, it's something that the mainstream is going to notice, and the low end will REALLY notice. The high-end will only notice when they push REALLY hard - they certainly won't notice - or even care - as much as mainstream users, let alone low-end users. Lack of crashes in ordinary use - and fewer crashes when pushing the limits - does get noticed. In that area, 8 improved on 7, and 10 improves on 8 and 8.1 - and, finally, Redstone improves on Threshold.

The Windows Store is quite necessary - if you want Microsoft as a company to gain more revenue.
Look at Apple (and even Google the Alphabet subsidiary) and their streams of revenue - where does most of Apple's revenue come from, and what is Google's second-largest (behind ads) revenue stream?
Their respective software stores (iTunes, the Mac App Store, and Google Play). Microsoft certainly can't expect Windows itself to be the big revenue stream forever - not when sales of branded hardware themselves are down significantly. The same applies to Office. Microsoft - as a company - certainly DOES need additional revenue streams - app stores are, in fact, rather obvious - as that is the one area that Microsoft conspicuously was absent in terms of having. Nobody is saying that even Windows users MUST use the Windows Store - not even Microsoft is saying that. (That is no more true in Windows 8 or later than it is with the Ubuntu Software Center in any version of Ubuntu.) It is about revenue for Microsoft - and software choice for users - as a Microsoft shareholder, I certainly have no objection to that. Do you HAVE to use it? No - and you aren't forced to. Developers can (but don't have to) - use it for pushing (not even selling) Windows software - it's another avenue; that is, in fact, all it is. Traditional software installation is not blocked one iota - not in 8, 8.x, or 10. Certain DRM IS blocked (due to effects on OS performance); however, the affected DRM schema was warned about that ahead of time. However, I can safely say that I have not had so much as ONE issue with those particular DRM schema since moving even to Windows 8; however, that is more due to none of the software that I personally use (or games that I play) USING those schema.

Man so much unnecessary hate for windows 10. Most of it is driven from personal hatred towards the company it seems. Really? No performance improvement? I have work windows 7 computer with an SSD, i5 and 8gbs of ram, hangs, stutters, chokes with too many apps running. Windows 10 similar specs and it blows it out of the water.

People hate it because of this forced update situation. Other than that hate for windows 10 is driven from peoples love to refuse an update. Everyone owes it to themselves to try windows 10. I will never go back to windows 7 even if you paid me to do it. The speed, the reliability and ability to stress the system and still not have an app crash is a frickin blessing when you rely on your computer so much. I can't personally wait until my work computer is migrated to windows 10, so I can get rid of windows 7. It's a lag fest once it runs for a month and more apps you open the more crashes I see.

I don't hate windows 7, It was the best OS of it times compared to anything else. Windows 8 was the worst piece of shit I ever tried and I gave microsoft all the crap I could for it. But windows 10 is a just so damn stable and smooth I give microsoft credit where its due.

I didn't even use windows 8 and always used 7 but since 10 came out I haven't looked back. I just don't like people not leaving their personal bias aside and give an honest feedback. Try it if you don't like it go back to 7, thats what I did with 8, and judge it for yourself.

Overall stability, performance on day to day usage, I don't play games. Windows 10 wins hands down, I don't run benchmarks but using windows 7 for work and windows 10 at home. It's windows 10 hands down for me.

^^^
This, for me. I tried one machine as W10. Now all of mine are. Ymmv. Shrug.

Nothing wrong with 10. Cleaner, much faster startup times, zero real world issues here. Running it on my desktop and my laptop for several months now.

I'm surprised that on [H], of all places, people complain about having to tweak a group policy. It took me all of 10 seconds to change from the default update settings to, "notify me to download updates".

Realize that MS is forcing updates because 90% of PC users are morons who never update their machines. For the minority of power users like us, we can use tools like Group Policy Editor to change settings to our liking.

Stop crying about Windows updates and [H]arden up.

Have a couple old X58 rigs running Win 10 atm with no problems.

Using Insider Build 14316 atm here on the main rig, and runs fine, Redstone is starting to look more interesting.

Seems to be a lot of people not wanting to adopt a new operating system in general for a long time to me.

gtELq1Q.jpg

Last edited:
Man so much unnecessary hate for windows 10. Most of it is driven from personal hatred towards the company it seems. Really? No performance improvement? I have work windows 7 computer with an SSD, i5 and 8gbs of ram, hangs, stutters, chokes with too many apps running. Windows 10 similar specs and it blows it out of the water.

People hate it because of this forced update situation. Other than that hate for windows 10 is driven from peoples love to refuse an update. Everyone owes it to themselves to try windows 10. I will never go back to windows 7 even if you paid me to do it. The speed, the reliability and ability to stress the system and still not have an app crash is a frickin blessing when you rely on your computer so much. I can't personally wait until my work computer is migrated to windows 10, so I can get rid of windows 7. It's a lag fest once it runs for a month and more apps you open the more crashes I see.

I don't hate windows 7, It was the best OS of it times compared to anything else. Windows 8 was the worst piece of shit I ever tried and I gave microsoft all the crap I could for it. But windows 10 is a just so damn stable and smooth I give microsoft credit where its due.

I didn't even use windows 8 and always used 7 but since 10 came out I haven't looked back. I just don't like people not leaving their personal bias aside and give an honest feedback. Try it if you don't like it go back to 7, thats what I did with 8, and judge it for yourself.

Overall stability, performance on day to day usage, I don't play games. Windows 10 wins hands down, I don't run benchmarks but using windows 7 for work and windows 10 at home. It's windows 10 hands down for me.

The performance improvements are such that I have not been exactly driven to even GET an SSD yet - not on my desktop or either of my notebooks. (And all three of them are running Windows 10. What is REALLY amazing is, in fact, the older of my two notebooks - which dates back to Windows Vista - not 7. It lacks even standard display drivers - in other words, it uses the "dreaded" Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The desktop rebuild is shocking in a different way - while the motherboard and CPU are brand new - as is the power supply - the rest of the components came from the same system where the motherboard failed in. The motherboard fell down, the PSU fell down - however, nothing else - from drives to GPU - did; therefore, it ALL stayed in place where it could. My boot drives are, in fact, the same WD Eco-Greens I had been using.

I don't doubt that an SSD would be a major performance boost - I've been touting the bennies of USB sticks over optical drives performance-wise for the past two years. However, I haven't gone there because I need a reason TO go there; so far, I haven't had to.)

I'm actually looking at my first two hardware add-ons (one is, in fact, a hardware upgrade) since the Great Rebuild of 2015 - however, neither one is a CPU or HDD upgrade/replacement. Instead, it's a webcam (don't have one for my desktop) and a GPU replacement/upgrade - and I'm going refurbished (again) for that.

In other words, my wallet is thanking me for not trying to squeeze more blood out of an old-stone OS by giving more smiles in all of my software on older hardware.

I get the dislike for the aesthetics ; all I ask is that you don't try and blow smoke up my posterior and claim it is anything else. (I have never - as in ever - claimed that the UI change from 7 forward is anything except massive; however, I utterly refuse to blame Microsoft for it, as I started seeing hardware headed that way with 7, and even Vista; the underlying OSes weren't ready to take advantage of the new hardware features yet.)

Your Win 7 machine problems are on you alone. My Win 7 PC is years old in terms of install and I went from an ASUS AMD 965 based mother board to an MSI i5 based motherboard with zero issues. An HDD upgrade and then an SSD. Install is approaching 5 years now? I've had essentially zero issues. I can't think of any. Maybe 1-2 BSODs which may have been caused by some other program/drivers.

Win 10 has been a nightmare in comparison. It still has the Win 8 updating issues where it hangs for 15+ minutes doing nothing with a blank screen. Especially considering the updates are forced at the most inconvenient times it becomes a pain. I've had more issues with it in a few months than 7 for years. And lets not get started with the ugly as hell UI style. The ribbon is still a pain in the ass, especially if you're using a touch pad. Exceptionally unergonomic. It now takes two clicks to do have used to take one. It is just slower and takes up more screen space. A nightmare for laptops. Other odd things like how you can't have the control panel and updater open at the same time doesn't make sense. They're still in a phone based OS design mode, and its cumbersome and inefficient.

If it wasn't for DX12 I'd have zero interest in Win 10. I prefer the stability, flow and look for 7.

Your Win 7 machine problems are on you alone. My Win 7 PC is years old in terms of install and I went from an ASUS AMD 965 based mother board to an MSI i5 based motherboard with zero issues. An HDD upgrade and then an SSD. Install is approaching 5 years now? I've had essentially zero issues. I can't think of any. Maybe 1-2 BSODs which may have been caused by some other program/drivers.

Win 10 has been a nightmare in comparison. It still has the Win 8 updating issues where it hangs for 15+ minutes doing nothing with a blank screen. Especially considering the updates are forced at the most inconvenient times it becomes a pain. I've had more issues with it in a few months than 7 for years. And lets not get started with the ugly as hell UI style. The ribbon is still a pain in the ass, especially if you're using a touch pad. Exceptionally unergonomic. It now takes two clicks to do have used to take one. It is just slower and takes up more screen space. A nightmare for laptops. Other odd things like how you can't have the control panel and updater open at the same time doesn't make sense. They're still in a phone based OS design mode, and its cumbersome and inefficient.

If it wasn't for DX12 I'd have zero interest in Win 10. I prefer the stability, flow and look for 7.
When do you sleep? Joking here but my machine only updates in the wee hours so cant say there are any issues with updates and hangs. But I have had no issues with either 7 or 10, well with clean installs:10 update over 7 had some minor issues fixed with a clean install.

And being I am using a straight up AMD machine the move from 7 to 10 was a positive one especially in performance.

Well, Windows 10 is certainly stable now. Some games can take advantage of DirectX 12, and benefit from it. There are some good apps on the Windows Store that you can't get on Windows 7.

On the other hand, SecuROM DRM is broken in some CD-ROM games, and you can't use Windows Media Center anymore. I've also heard that there's either no Windows Movie Maker, or an inferior version. I don't remember which, because I never used it.

I do think that there's a lot of FUD around Windows 10 and that people are being overly harsh, but if you're happy with Windows 7, there's no reason to upgrade an existing PC at this time. However, I think building a new PC and putting Windows 7 on it is a little ridiculous and defeats the point of building a new one. If you want to run Windows 7, there's little point in running anything newer than Ivy Bridge or Haswell, since 7 won't take advantage of new processor features anyway. Although to be fair, performance improves very little with Skylake so there's no point in upgrading your hardware at this time either.

The PC market is stagnant. Disgustingly stagnant and looking more dead every day... I hate seeing Apple fanboys proven right by market forces. They can't put out a compelling new product and everyone just wants to use old stuff like a bunch of... old people. It's depressing, but it's obvious to manufacturers that they can't make money off us because we're too set in our ways and satisfied with the last products they sent out, so we're now irrelevant as a market and everything will increasingly be designed around smartphones.

Last edited:
We upgraded all the PCs at work to 10 and so far its been great, the users love it too. I also run it on my home rig as trying to get windows 7 to play nice with a 950 Pro SSD was a bigger headache than it was worth.

I will say my only gripe is the Edge browser, that stupid app tries to take over EVERYTHING it seems.

When do you sleep? Joking here but my machine only updates in the wee hours so cant say there are any issues with updates and hangs. But I have had no issues with either 7 or 10, well with clean installs:10 update over 7 had some minor issues fixed with a clean install.

And being I am using a straight up AMD machine the move from 7 to 10 was a positive one especially in performance.

When you want to turn off the computer it gives an option to restart and shutdown with no prior warning. I do update when I can, but I use the laptop infrequently and in short bursts. So I use it 1-3 hours here and there and updating it every day isn't something I care to do. Especially when you're outside. I don't want to start an update on a slow connection, or when the battery is running low. Problem is the updates give no warning and they take forever.

I suppose on a desktop it isn't as big of a problem, especially if we're using high end CPUs and SSDs. But waiting for Win 10 to update for 10+ minutes when you're trying to shove the laptop back in its bag is obscene. Two days ago it was frozen on a black screen. I had to pull the battery this time. In Win 8/10s defense, it only bricked the OS once. Microsoft is really out of the loop with how people use computers and the term "convenience".

Now if I recall, with Pro you can delay the updates which is more acceptable. And on a powerful desktop, not much of a problem. But the hanging, freezing and endless update loop does worry me enough to not want 10. The only thing it has that I am interested in is DX12. As stated before, if it wasn't for that I'd have no desire to move from 7 at the time being. My install runs stable and quick as it is.

W10 is perfectly fine. yes there are little things that people will bitch about, just like every new OS release, but for the vast majority of users it is great.

I will say my only gripe is the Edge browser, that stupid app tries to take over EVERYTHING it seems.
yeah they want everyone to move to edge but you can still set IE or any other browser as default.

waiting for Win 10 to update for 10+ minutes when you're trying to shove the laptop back in its bag is obscene. Two days ago it was frozen on a black screen. I had to pull the battery this time
did you close the laptop and shove it in the bag when it was trying to update? if so that is most likely why if froze up on you. either you interrupted the update processes causing it to hang up or it kept running in the bag, overheated and locked up. either way its not windows' fault...

do you not get the just "restart/shutdown" or "update and restart/shutdown" options? my system says both but I am running the insider preview which is based on pro.

no, did you read my specific issue. Run multiple apps, I mean alot of them with same specs. Windows 10 just manages memory way better, while windows 7 for me starts to run its limits. I haven't had any issues with windows 10 having bunch of apps open. Yea windows 7 is fine, I don't have too many issues with it, and love it over windows 8. But head to head when it comes to overall usage and efficiency and resource management windows 10 has been a way better experience for me. and I have had windows 7 all the way up to last year. I started beta testing 10 on one of my computers and it just got better and better and finally I put it on my main rig. I used to have to do fresh installs in windows 7, for some damn reason it just felt slower as time went on. 10 doesn't seem to do that. Even on crappy 5400rpm drive it feels way faster.

I am sticking with Windows 7 until every game comes dx12 and blows dx11 away. I tried 8,8.1, and 10, hated them all. Not to mention I run crossfire and see a lot of people having problems I dont. Many of them are running w10

I am sticking with Windows 7 until every game comes dx12 and blows dx11 away. I tried 8,8.1, and 10, hated them all. Not to mention I run crossfire and see a lot of people having problems I dont. Many of them are running w10

It's been long known issues of crossfire. Multigpu setups always have issues. We are at a point where we need to stop blaming the OS for multi gpu issues. Its not the OS fault. Reason I rather get a single high end gpu and be problem free.

I guess you will be waiting a long time and by that time games will require windows 10. Love how someone always finds a reason to not upgrade. Your problem is more crossfire than anything, if any OS has ability to finally rid of crossfire or sli issues its windows 10. But its up to the game developers and gpu providers to implement it. Finally you have an OS that run multi gpu regardless of vendors and actually leverage memory.

Windows 10 is the future of multi gpu.

Back