Windows 10 gamma extremely high

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
Gamma is extremely high on my display and I don't understand why. Gamma was fine on WIndows 7.

I just installed Windows 10 Pro, clean install of the retail version on a blank SSD. The monitor is a Dell U2515h; brightness is 20% and contrast is 50%, Dynamic Contrast turned off. Video card is an EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid, the monitor is plugged into Displayport, native resolution is being used, both the latest Nvidia drivers and an older version had the same issue. Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 Power Options Advanced Settings is turned off.

On the lagom.nl gamma page, the 48% gamma column barely shows the blending just starting to begin at the top of the scale (the scale ranges from 1.2 at the top to 3.0 at the bottom). Using the Windows 10 Calibrate Display tool to reduce gamma as far as it will go still shows gamma beyond 1.2. I used the Nvidia Control Panel instead and at the minimum gamma setting of +0.30 was able to show Gamma in lagom.nl at 1.4, but everything was extremely dark and unreadable. Problem occurs whether I use IE11, Edge or Firefox browsers, and the Photoscientia gamma page also shows gamma to be completely out of whack.

What's going on here?

Happen to be using text/display scaling? Those patterns rely on dithering. If they aren't displayed pixel-for-pixel on your screen, they'll look wrong.

Yes, I was using text/display scaling. Windows 10 actually uses 125% by default (at least it did for my 2560x1440 display) and I increased it to 150% because I'm old. I set it back to 125%, and the gamma patterns still showed wrong. Then I set it to 100% and the gamma patterns are now correct, and showing I have a gamma just a bit under 2.0 which is perfect.

Thank you!

Back