Windows 10 Freezing, no BSOD… any ideas?

Dreamerbydesign

Supreme [H]ardness
Working on a mystery for a family member.

Specs:

Ryzen 5600x- stock auto everything
Asus B550 Strix mb
32GB (2 x 16) Corsair 3200 c16 - running xmp profile with proper 1.35v
Corsair AX850i psu
Hyper 212 cpu cooler
NVME Samsung 980 1 TB
Gtx1060 6gb ecga

System would randomly become non responsive, and eventually freeze up. Mouse would respond by moving around, but keyboard becomes locked, Windows stay locked in place. So nothing responds besides the mouse moving. I saw it for myself multiple times. Parts were all bought brand new.

What I have done:
Brand new fresh windows 10 install. Completely updated windows. All drivers for all hardware are properly installed. No additional software is on the system yet. No antivirus etc.

All hardware was stable until this started happening 2 weeks ago. I decided I’d do some stability testing!

Passed: OCCT extreme test, multiple gaming benchmark loops, Prime95 small fft, fur mark ran 30 mins no problems. Memtest86+ passed twice no problem.

Temps are all where they should be. Cpu never hits above 70, GPU below 80, and all hardware sensors are reporting normal ranges.

NO blue screen of death. Nothing I can see in the event viewer unless I am missing something.

So for poops and giggles I reinstalled windows from scratch. Still happens.

Happens randomly between 10 mins and 2 days of being on, not going to sleep. Usually happens when YouTube is running on Microsoft edge but I don’t think that is related or don’t see how it could be.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Usually happens when YouTube is running on Microsoft edge but I don’t think that is related or don’t see how it could be.
turn off hardware acceleration. i think wiggy yt playback is still a issue, mines been off for idk how long...
they can also try quickly hitting ctrl+shift+winkey+b to reset the video driver when it happens.

So it turns out hardware acceleration was already turned off in the general windows settings.

However, I was able to turn it off in chrome. Each browser has its own setting apparently. So I am testing it now.

game mode and recording crap turned off? everything internal is clean? all bioses up to date?

So I changed the power supply idle condition. No change.

I noticed also, when it did freeze last night, the clock also froze on the PC, a spinning white circle was on the youtube page (like it was loading) and the chat next to the youtube video till was working fine. It was a music live stream. So the chat was still refreshing. I could open the task manager. It was also not responding or very slow to respond. Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately the internet is littered with threads like these. Same conditions, same result. No one posts a result back if they did solve the problem.

Last edited:
is it only in yt? tried another browser? maybe test the drives, in case theres a bad spot developing.

Some other ideas:

Try replacing any SATA cables. If you run a SMART check see an abnormal result under end-to-end errors, that's sometimes because of a bad cable. Also, try updating your audio drivers.

All drivers are up to date as of yesterday with a clean windows 10 install, and manual driver installation. No sata drives, only one NVME.

I was in bios looking around when it froze in bios. So I am absolutely sure its a sneaky hardware problem now. I removed one stick of ram, am testing with just one stick.

Although the ram had no errors when tested with programs, I am thinking it may be a seating issue or possibly a troublesome stick of ram.

All drivers are up to date as of yesterday with a clean windows 10 install, and manual driver installation. No sata drives, only one NVME.

I was in bios looking around when it froze in bios. So I am absolutely sure its a sneaky hardware problem now. I removed one stick of ram, am testing with just one stick.

Although the ram had no errors when tested with programs, I am thinking it may be a seating issue or possibly a troublesome stick of ram.
locks in bios is def a hardware issue, and ram is where id start too. could try bumping the ram voltage.

Tear it down and rebuild it physically. Everything; motherboard out of case, CPU out of socket, remove NVME. Shouldn't take long and may expose possible shorts or poor connections. When rebuilding, rebuild with the minimum needed to get into the BIOS, turn off XMP, make sure it is stable and update the BIOS to latest 'non-beta'. Keep everything stock in BIOS and add in components testing along the way.

Check for abnormal SOC voltage and check ODT value with Ryzen master. Very minor changes here can help. Minor mismatches on these two values seem to cause lockups on Ryzen and Intel rigs as well. Been fighting the same issue on a new Intel work station I built recently. Minor ram voltage bump has somewhat alleviated it but still happens occasionally.

Check for abnormal SOC voltage and check ODT value with Ryzen master. Very minor changes here can help. Minor mismatches on these two values seem to cause lockups on Ryzen and Intel rigs as well. Been fighting the same issue on a new Intel work station I built recently. Minor ram voltage bump has somewhat alleviated it but still happens occasionally.
If it fails again and I rule out the ram, I will check this out also. This sounds like a good lead.

So, I caught it doing the spinny circle buffering thing on the chrome window with YouTube open for a few hours. Computer became slow again, so I quickly closed out the tab with the video playing, and within 30 seconds the pc began responding again.

So I tested this in Firefox , and Edge, and almost the same result. All within let’s say, 45 minutes.
Truly I am perplexed by this.

maybe try running yt with taskman open to see if you can spot anything funky. maybe try ddu and an older driver. got another gpu to try?

That ultimately stopped for me when I wiped my PC clean of the scourge that is Armoury Crate.
Brand new fresh windows 10 install. Completely updated windows. All drivers for all hardware are properly installed. No additional software is on the system yet. No antivirus etc.
i was assuming we werent dealing with that, but ive been fooled before...

Issues like this are almost always due to a failing/bad PSU in my experience.

That ultimately stopped for me when I wiped my PC clean of the scourge that is Armoury Crate.
See this had armoury crate, but I re installed windows 10. I wonder if it automatically installed some of these services…. Because I didn’t manually install any extra asus junk.

Issues like this are almost always due to a failing/bad PSU in my experience.
So I wonder… this was rock solid for a year and a brand new PSU. I do have a PSU I can swap out tho, and I will try that tonight. I wondered if that could cause issues like this.

Already received the new board, everything is fine. Wasn’t a bad experience.
Hey.Hi. I had the same hang,happened once in 23 march,not again since. After few hours when i go to use pc, i run Google chrome and then all suddenly freezed. I mean i was able to touch/move mouse, but all stops resonding. Chrome,search bar,start button stops responding. Then i make ctrl alt delete and black screen with blue circle. Keyboard becomes locked ( caps lock stop working ), Windows stay locked in place. So i make hard reset.

IS my motherboard faulty or its ok?

Back