Windows 10 free upgrade period expires. Is the system tray icon gone?

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Im curious if the system tray icon and nagging Windows disappeared. Anyone still on 7 or 8 who turned off gwx control panel and can confirm that those are gone?

I'm also curious about the install files they downloaded to your PC. Are those removed automatically?

Remove GWX Control panel if you are not on Windows 10, download the updates and see what happens.

would be nice if I didn't have to research every new patch they release on Patch Tuesday to see if it's more W10 nagware (and then not install it and Hide it)...even hiding it is not full-proof as they re-release many of those patches later on with the same KB number but different date

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
would be nice if I didn't have to research every new patch they release on Patch Tuesday to see if it's more W10 nagware (and then not install it and Hide it)...even hiding it is not full-proof as they re-release many of those patches later on with the same KB number but different date

Well, the official free upgrade date is over so you probably don't have to worry about that anymore. That's what I made this thread for, to ask people if the already installed nagware is gone or not.

Im curious if the system tray icon and nagging Windows disappeared. Anyone still on 7 or 8 who turned off gwx control panel and can confirm that those are gone?

Would be nice to know if I can enable automatic updates again, definitely.

Just do it since it is already supposed to be gone anyways. However, neither of my Windows 7 virtual machines have it nor is Windows 10 listed in the updates window.

Well, the official free upgrade date is over so you probably don't have to worry about that anymore. That's what I made this thread for, to ask people if the already installed nagware is gone or not.

the date is over...for now...but MS is sure to offer a new upgrade soon enough (sometime in the Fall would be my guess)

Remove GWX Control panel if you are not on Windows 10, download the updates and see what happens.

I just checked GWX Control Panel and it still showed the files installed so used it to delete any Win10 crap on my PC then checked WU, all good and clean. GWX Control Panel is just a portable app on my PC so there is no uninstaller. I never actually saw the tray icon anyway because I used GWX Control panel so makes no dif here. I will thwart all attempts to hijack my PC. That's why I love tweak tools so much. And I have been running this install of 8.1 for five years and will keep it running like this for another five at least. God willing. (y)

Last edited:
I just checked GWX Control Panel and it still showed the files installed so used it to delete any Win10 crap on my PC then checked WU, all good and clean. GWX Control Panel is just a portable app on my PC so there is no uninstaller. I never actually saw the tray icon anyway because I used GWX Control panel so makes no dif here. I will thwart all attempts to hijack my PC. That's why I love tweak tools so much. And I have been running this install of 8.1 for five years and will keep it running like this for another five at least. God willing. (y)

You mean just slightly under 4 years since Windows 8 was released on October, 2012. As long as you are happy with it, nothing wrong with that. I prefer Windows 10 for my Host OS and since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro on both my primary computers and my Surface Pro 3, I do not have a Windows 8 key to use for virtualization anymore.

the date is over...for now...but MS is sure to offer a new upgrade soon enough (sometime in the Fall would be my guess)
How do you know that MS is "sure" to offer a new upgrade soon? What is your source?

You mean just slightly under 4 years since Windows 8 was released on October, 2012. As long as you are happy with it, nothing wrong with that. I prefer Windows 10 for my Host OS and since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro on both my primary computers and my Surface Pro 3, I do not have a Windows 8 key to use for virtualization anymore.

I ran a tool that showed all my history and am pretty sure it went back as far as 2011.

I just did a clean install of windows 7 Pro and installed every available update. There is no system tray icon and there is no GWX folder in System32.

I never installed GWX or anything similar. I just never clicked the system tray icon, and it's been sitting there for a year. I updated my HTPC last night with all the newly released updates. When it was done - the system tray icon was removed and I no longer have the option to upgrade to win 10.

Hope this helps. ;)

The icon stayed on my taskbar for a couple days after the so-called "upgrade" expired but then dropped off. When you clicked it, it informed you that it was expired but had a thousand links to "learn about Windows 10" and to buy it. Ugh, no thanks. Win7 for life, yo (a little gangsta lingo there).

Nope. Windows 7 Professional on an Automation System. The machine was purchased a week ago, did all updates and this showed up.

hcp4iP8.jpg

Rather a problem since this machine needs to remain up. No surprise updates. Got surprised with updates. Grr.

Nope. Windows 7 Professional on an Automation System. The machine was purchased a week ago, did all updates and this showed up.

Rather a problem since this machine needs to remain up. No surprise updates. Got surprised with updates. Grr.

Try running Steve Gibson's Never10 app to get rid of the nag: GRC | Never10  

Hope this helps.

Back