Windows 10 Finally Surpasses Windows 7 Market Share

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
StatCounter is reporting that after a long and drawn out fight with itself, that Microsoft's Windows 10 OS have finally beaten out Windows 7 in terms of installs. (42.78% vs 41.86%) In other news, there are still people running Vista.

"This is a breakthrough for Microsoft,” commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO of StatCounter. “Windows 10 was launched at the end of July 2015 and Microsoft will be pleased to have put its Windows 8 experience behind it. However, Windows 7 retains loyalty, especially amongst business users. Microsoft will be hoping that it can replace it a lot quicker than XP, launched back in August 2001, which only fell below 5pc usage worldwide in June of 2017.”[/QUOTE]

2 of the 3 computers at my house are win10,..the other- my wife's- is still win7 because,,, her keyboard will NOT work correctly on windows 10-she has an ideazon merc keyboard- it has a "game pad" on the left side of the keyboard for gaming-it doesn't work right on win10).

I don't think it actually has surpassed Windows 7 in desktop market share.

For one, counted in Win 10 figures are mobile devices, such as tablets, which is a market that Win 7 doesn't compete in. For another thing, Microsoft pulls every dirty trick it can think of to spread data-stealing Win 10 propaganda so that MS can leech more personal data to sell from Windows owners.

For another, other sources show that Win 7 is still the dominant Windows OS:

aW5SqV1.jpg

Non-desktop devices being counted in Win 10's stats also applies to the above figures.

Steam's hardware survey also still shows Windows 7 as being dominant over Windows 10.

Last edited:
For another, other sources show that Win 7 is still the dominant Windows OS:

Perhaps but this is the first time that either StatCounter or Netmarketshare has shown Windows 10 eclipsing Windows 7 so the StatCounter number is notable in that regard.

Non-desktop devices being counted in Win 10's stats also applies to the above figures.

I don't believe that's true and even if it were non-desktop/x86 Windows 10 device numbers are tiny in comparison to desktop numbers.

In any case the Netmarketshare numbers are clearly trending to Windows 10 edging out Windows 7 sometime around summer this year. That would put Windows 10 edging out Windows 7 in three years, exactly the time frame it took Windows 7 to edge out Windows XP. Some will point to forced upgrades in the first year of Windows 10 inflating the numbers and I would agree some on that. However new PCs sales are much lower now than six years ago. If new PC sales were still growing I kind of doubt that Microsoft would have even had the free upgrade year.

Personally, overall I've been pretty happy with Windows 10. It works pretty much like Windows 7 does on a desktop day to day and its WAY better on 2 in 1 devices that I use constantly now. For everyone that likes Windows 7 and is sticking with it, there are plenty of folks these days that have hardware and software that isn't backwards compatible so Windows 7 has simply aged out for people like me. I do wish that Microsoft had better addressed issues around telemetry and updating, those are sore spots still.

If new PC sales were still growing I kind of doubt that Microsoft would have even had the free upgrade year.

I doubt this. Their real goal is the telemetry data. Their going to eventually begin selling the bulk data if they haven't already. As far as I know, the accessibility 'loophole' still works to activate 7 to 10 even though their official stance is that the free upgrade period is over. I think 7 keys still work too for a fresh install. At least AFAIK, I heard of no closure of those 'loopholes.' They cannot move PC's to 10 fast enough. Couple that with whatever else they may collect in Office 2019, and they'll have a data collection platform rivaling the NSA. Too bad there's really no other choice. And all you Linux lovers need not post here! We know already!

I doubt this. Their real goal is the telemetry data. Their going to eventually begin selling the bulk data if they haven't already. As far as I know, the accessibility 'loophole' still works to activate 7 to 10 even though their official stance is that the free upgrade period is over. I think 7 keys still work too for a fresh install. At least AFAIK, I heard of no closure of those 'loopholes.' They cannot move PC's to 10 fast enough. Couple that with whatever else they may collect in Office 2019, and they'll have a data collection platform rivaling the NSA. Too bad there's really no other choice. And all you Linux lovers need not post here! We know already!
Linux is actually one of the largest platforms for data collection. There what 2 billion+ Android phone/tablets out there?

I don't believe that's true and even if it were non-desktop/x86 Windows 10 device numbers are tiny in comparison to desktop numbers.

I believe that tablets are counted the same as desktop PCs, as they use the same Windows 10 OS, and I don't think there's any way for these independent stats counters to differentiate between what sort of device is running the OS.

How many Windows 10 tablets are there?

"Microsoft's third quarter earnings are mostly rosy -- except when it comes to sales of its Surface laptops. The company reports that Surface revenues fell 26 percent compared to last year, reaching $831 million down from $1.1 billion"

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/mic...p-surface-decline-linkedin-expenses-hurt.html

"The reason was a shortfall in the company's More Personal Computing segment, which includes Windows and hardware like the Surface tablets, booked $8.84 billion in revenue — well behind average expectations of $9.22 billion (according to StreetAccount), and down 7% from last year. Surface revenue dropped 26% to $831 million, its lowest figure in more than a year, in part because of more competition from other similar devices and ahead of expected new models expected out later this year."

So, for fiscal year 2017, there were $831 million sales of Microsoft Surface tablets, out of a total MS revenue of $8.84 billion. That's basically 10% of Microsoft's total business. And that doesn't include Windows 10-running tablets by other manufacturers.

While not nearly as much as desktop PCs, I'd guess that mobile devices running Windows 10 count for a significant number of the Win 10 stats in OS market share figures (maybe 10 - 15%? - arbitrary guess).

Personally, overall I've been pretty happy with Windows 10. It works pretty much like Windows 7 does on a desktop day to day and its WAY better on 2 in 1 devices that I use constantly now. For everyone that likes Windows 7 and is sticking with it, there are plenty of folks these days that have hardware and software that isn't backwards compatible so Windows 7 has simply aged out for people like me. I do wish that Microsoft had better addressed issues around telemetry and updating, those are sore spots still.

I'm using both Windows 7 and Windows 10 regularly, and I gotta say, they're the same OS at the core, but with a bunch of garbage on top in the Win 10 version of that same OS. They both run the same things, except where MS has artificially prevented certain things from running on Win 7 (such as DX 12, which is a dud, and UWP programs, which I would stay away from at all costs). Between the two, Windows 7 is mounds more stable and reliable. Windows 7 is also more configurable, and many actions in the OS are much faster in response than in Windows 10, such as opening the calculator or photo viewer, rotating photos, opening the start menu, etc. And there various little bugs in Windows 10, while Windows 7 is rock-solid: Changing the recycle bin icon Win 10 breaks it and stops it from changing between full and empty when files are put into it; opening multiple instances of the photo viewer causes it to forget its full-screen / non full-screen size; opening multiple instances of calculator causes the calculator to forget its mode and after several instances, it starts to open minimal versions of the calculator.

And Win 10 has forced updates, and updates a PC while gaming, and tries to restart the PC while gaming, while important work is on the screen... none of that in Windows 7.

And there's so much spying, data-leeching, convoluted system menus and inconsistent menu styles in Windows 10. Windows 10 is the most disorganized Windows, ever.

For me, booting into Windows 7 after using Windows 10 is a like a breath of mountain-fresh air. Everything in Windows 7 just works, and works as the user tells it to. No mind games, no unpredictability, no struggles over control of the OS... just like an OS is meant to be. Windows 10 is strictly a for-Microsoft repackaging of Windows 7, with data-theft functionality built into it, so that MS can leech and sell people's personal and private data. Selling people's private and personal data is Microsoft's new business model.

If new PC sales were still growing I kind of doubt that Microsoft would have even had the free upgrade year.

As ShotGlass mentioned, the whole purpose to MS' "free" (not really) update to Windows 10 was to get as many people using the OS and MS services as possible, so that MS could leech their data and profit off of selling it.

That's also why MS left various loop-holes to still access the "free" (only not) update to Windows 10 for over a year after it officially expired. MS just wants people hooking into their data-farm software that is Windows 10, so that MS can perpetually harvest their personal data and sell it - illegally, it should be added:

https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens....osoft-breaches-data-protection-law-windows-10

I doubt this. Their real goal is the telemetry data. Their going to eventually begin selling the bulk data if they haven't already.

I don't see why Microsoft would sell this data considering the consequences or how much value it would have on the open market that could possible outweigh the consequences . I think some people hear the word "telemetry" and don't necessarily appreciate how important it has become in modern software development as tool in and of itself. In today's world you can't realistically deploy hundreds of millions of copies of something and have NO real-time automated feedback.

I think some people hear the word "telemetry" and don't necessarily appreciate how important it has become in modern software development as tool in and of itself. In today's world you can't realistically deploy hundreds of millions of copies of something and have NO real-time automated feedback.

I don't think its fair that ms$ uses its customers as beta testers and SPYs(telemetry) on them to fix the issues. This philosophy might save m$ a lot of money but its not fair to all the people who have significant problems each time a new version or even a rollup hotfix comes out and fubars their systems.

I believe that tablets are counted the same as desktop PCs, as they use the same Windows 10 OS, and I don't think there's any way for these independent stats counters to differentiate between what sort of device is running the OS.

How many Windows 10 tablets are there?

"Microsoft's third quarter earnings are mostly rosy -- except when it comes to sales of its Surface laptops. The company reports that Surface revenues fell 26 percent compared to last year, reaching $831 million down from $1.1 billion"

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/mic...p-surface-decline-linkedin-expenses-hurt.html

"The reason was a shortfall in the company's More Personal Computing segment, which includes Windows and hardware like the Surface tablets, booked $8.84 billion in revenue — well behind average expectations of $9.22 billion (according to StreetAccount), and down 7% from last year. Surface revenue dropped 26% to $831 million, its lowest figure in more than a year, in part because of more competition from other similar devices and ahead of expected new models expected out later this year."

So, for fiscal year 2017, there were $831 million sales of Microsoft Surface tablets, out of a total MS revenue of $8.84 billion. That's basically 10% of Microsoft's total business. And that doesn't include Windows 10-running tablets by other manufacturers.

While not nearly as much as desktop PCs, I'd guess that mobile devices running Windows 10 count for a significant number of the Win 10 stats in OS market share figures (maybe 10 - 15%? - arbitrary guess).

From the perspective of Windows 10 x86, tablets, desktops, laptops and convertibles are simply different form factors. The 2 in 1 market seems to be pretty hot these days, all the OEMs have Windows convertibles, even Chrome OS ones now, with pens. Google just yesterday got behind the Universal Stylus Initiative. A totally desktop centric keyboard and mouse only Windows is simply not enough these days.

I'm using both Windows 7 and Windows 10 regularly, and I gotta say, they're the same OS at the core, but with a bunch of garbage on top in the Win 10 version of that same OS. They both run the same things, except where MS has artificially prevented certain things from running on Win 7 (such as DX 12, which is a dud, and UWP programs, which I would stay away from at all costs). Between the two, Windows 7 is mounds more stable and reliable. Windows 7 is also more configurable, and many actions in the OS are much faster in response than in Windows 10, such as opening the calculator or photo viewer, rotating photos, opening the start menu, etc. And there various little bugs in Windows 10, while Windows 7 is rock-solid: Changing the recycle bin icon Win 10 breaks it and stops it from changing between full and empty when files are put into it; opening multiple instances of the photo viewer causes it to forget its full-screen / non full-screen size; opening multiple instances of calculator causes the calculator to forget its mode and after several instances, it starts to open minimal versions of the calculator.

And Win 10 has forced updates, and updates a PC while gaming, and tries to restart the PC while gaming, while important work is on the screen... none of that in Windows 7.

And there's so much spying, data-leeching, convoluted system menus and inconsistent menu styles in Windows 10. Windows 10 is the most disorganized Windows, ever.

For me, booting into Windows 7 after using Windows 10 is a like a breath of mountain-fresh air. Everything in Windows 7 just works, and works as the user tells it to. No mind games, no unpredictability, no struggles over control of the OS... just like an OS is meant to be. Windows 10 is strictly a for-Microsoft repackaging of Windows 7, with data-theft functionality built into it, so that MS can leech and sell people's personal and private data. Selling people's private and personal data is Microsoft's new business model.

As ShotGlass mentioned, the whole purpose to MS' "free" (not really) update to Windows 10 was to get as many people using the OS and MS services as possible, so that MS could leech their data and profit off of selling it.

That's also why MS left various loop-holes to still access the "free" (only not) update to Windows 10 for over a year after it officially expired. MS just wants people hooking into their data-farm software that is Windows 10, so that MS can perpetually harvest their personal data and sell it - illegally, it should be added:

https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens....osoft-breaches-data-protection-law-windows-10

It's a lot more complicated than artificially restricting Windows 7. DX versions are tightly coupled to the kernel and retrofitting older versions of Windows to work with new DX versions is something Microsoft has never done. As for UWPs and the Store, while the Store is pretty weak there's still a number of useful and solid apps there. What I think is the best PDF reader/light editor for Windows, Xodo, it Store only and it works across iOS and Android seamlessly, even the ink compatible between my Note 8 and Windows devices. Then there's stuff like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Many of the content apps are very nice, work well across keyboard, mouse and touch are very battery efficient. But the Store is becoming more general purpose, a good number of popular desktop apps are coming to it now, Affinity, Paint.NET, even open source like Krita.

Linux is actually one of the largest platforms for data collection. There what 2 billion+ Android phone/tablets out there?

Yes, we know! ;)

I don't see why Microsoft would sell this data considering the consequences or how much value it would have on the open market that could possible outweigh the consequences . I think some people hear the word "telemetry" and don't necessarily appreciate how important it has become in modern software development as tool in and of itself. In today's world you can't realistically deploy hundreds of millions of copies of something and have NO real-time automated feedback.

They won't sell data that could identify anyone. It'll be bulk trends like what Google provides when it comes to top ranked search results. But they'll be able to slice and dice it to be more specific, just not identifiable. But even with software development, they're collecting way too much data for just development.

My main working computer is a desktop on Windows 7.

My laptop is Windows 10 because it came with it and it's a pain in the ass to get it working on Windows 7 and I'd have to buy a license, so this wasn't by choice.

Microsoft state for themselves that they sell the data they collect. They call it 'compiling it into business reports which we then share with our business partners, government, researchers... anything who can demonstrate a valid need for the data'. AKA, anyone who pays for it.

Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, etc, all sell the data they collect. Just like Twitter software engineers say in the recent Veritas undercover video, 'you're basically paying to use our service with your data'.

And, with Microsoft, getting people's data so they can sell it is why they forced millions of PCs to install Win 10, why they force updates, why they reset settings, why MS constantly breaks start menu mods (because 3rd-party start menus don't generate MS telemetry)...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ows-10-telemetry-updates-diagnostic-tracking/

"The Microsoft Data Management Service routes information to internal cloud storage, where it's compiled into business reports for analysis and research."

"Only those who can demonstrate a valid business need can access the telemetry info."

"The privacy governance team permits access only to people with a valid business justification."

"However, we do share business reports with partners that include aggregated, anonymous telemetry information."

Keep in mind that it is Microsoft that is describing its own conduct. Microsoft has an extensive history of lying, and of hiding negatives from people, so they could well be doing things far beyond what they've voluntarily stated.

Last edited:
But even with software development, they're collecting way too much data for just development.

The consumer IT market is simply moving in a direction that some don't like. The cloud and cloud connected devices and services aren't going away and it's just exploding. Again, I'm all for off switches but that's not where the mainstream consumer market is. One of the most popular Christmas gifts I saw friends and family get this past year were smart speakers and people seem to really dig them. Microsoft is getting blasted by a lot of folks for not getting Cortana out in the market on these kinds of devices fast enough.

Microsoft state for themselves that they sell the data they collect. They call it 'compiling it into business reports which we then share with our business partners, government, researchers... anything who can demonstrate a valid need for the data'. AKA, anyone who pays for it.

Microsoft has legal obligations concerning government requests like everyone else, they don't always comply like the Irish server case, and they do say they share things with partners, but where do they say they sell Windows 10 telemetry explicitly?

It's a lot more complicated than artificially restricting Windows 7. DX versions are tightly coupled to the kernel and retrofitting older versions of Windows to work with new DX versions is something Microsoft has never done. ,

Yes like DX10 was so tightly integrated with Vista, and then someone took sixty seconds to hack it for XP.

Fortunately DX12 hasn't really gone anywhere and developers are ignoring it. They can't afford to alienate Windows 7 and 8.1 customers like Microsoft.

Last edited:
The consumer IT market is simply moving in a direction that some don't like. The cloud and cloud connected devices and services aren't going away and it's just exploding. Again, I'm all for off switches but that's not where the mainstream consumer market is. One of the most popular Christmas gifts I saw friends and family get this past year were smart speakers and people seem to really dig them. Microsoft is getting blasted by a lot of folks for not getting Cortana out in the market on these kinds of devices fast enough.

They don't need to. They've lost. They really should just focus on the telemetry, subscription services (possibly including Windows), and cede the mobile market. Alexa and Siri are way ahead already. Android and Apple dominate the cell market. And nobody cares (except, I know for your friends and family) about Cortana or Bing or Edge. And it's not that they can't be good, it's that the young crowd will never identify MS as the next cool and hip thing. They lost the young crowd, and it's not coming back to them. They dread having to use Office in a business environment and want their Googs. Once Google or Apple truly unify their mobile platform with a desktop platform, it'll be game over as the 'youthful' cell will seamlessly move from being a phone to a desktop and phone again.

Microsoft has legal obligations concerning government requests like everyone else, they don't always comply like the Irish server case, and they do say they share things with partners, but where do they say they sell Windows 10 telemetry explicitly?

Business means profit is involved. 'Business partners' means companies other than Microsoft. Microsoft sharing data with business partners means that the Microsoft is getting something of profit-making in exchange for providing data.

Microsoft's business "partners" do not include the government, unless the government is paying for the information. A partner is an equal benefactor, and not an authority that one is legally obliged to comply with. Also, Microsoft only become obliged to share information as a part of law after MS has become privy to information that brings law into it. That doesn't happen unless MS first collects the data, and then analyses it. MS is not collecting and analysing data for the sake of finding things that cause MS to be required to submit information to authorities.

If Microsoft is giving business reports compiled from collected user data to other companies, in a business exchange, then that means that Microsoft is receiving something it considers profitable in exchange. That would be money. And even if services were included in business transactions, that still selling people's personal data for services.

Also, I edited my previous post perhaps beyond what you read. The business of selling collected telemetry data is well detailed. It is a major business, and all big tech companies are getting in on it.

Last edited:
Yes like DX10 was so tightly integrated with Vista, and then someone took all of sixty seconds to hack it to work with XP.

Fortunately DX12 hasn't really gone anywhere and developers are ignoring it.

I remember that too. The argument that DX versions can't be integrated in to somewhat older OS's is bullshit. They easily could make it available for 8.1 at a minimum.

The business of selling collected telemetry data is well detailed. It is a major business, and all big tech companies are getting in on it.

Except the Microsoft doesn't say they sell and what they share is aggregated data. That's a big difference they say selling the software inventory on individual devices.

It's a lot more complicated than artificially restricting Windows 7. DX versions are tightly coupled to the kernel and retrofitting older versions of Windows to work with new DX versions is something Microsoft has never done.
And yet, when DirectX 9 was released it ran on Win98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. I'd argue kernel difference between 98SE and XP were likely a lot more substantial than Windows 8.1 and 10. If Microsoft's main goal was to service as many gamers / DirectX users as possible, they would have made it compatible. That's all there is to it. As it stands, that was not their main goal. Their main priority was to promote their newest OS, with DirectX 10/12 being a carrot on a stick to try to bring users over, regardless of where the OS marketshare currently was.

In other words, your argument would have more weight if they hadn't already supported 4 different kernels for a new DirectX version in the past.

Except the Microsoft doesn't say they sell and what they share is aggregated data. That's a big difference they say selling the software inventory on individual devices.

Microsoft actually does explicitly state that they sell the data they collect.

Business:

- the purchase and sale of goods in an attempt to make a profit

- a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce,manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern

Microsoft is collecting data to make profit off of it, and shares it with business partners.

A Microsoft employee is not a business partner of Microsoft, nor is somebody who receives free access to the data a business partner of Microsoft. A 3rd-party who provides Microsoft with something they want in return is a business partner of Microsoft. The condition upon which Microsoft will share the personal data it's collected with a business partner is if the business partner is providing Microsoft with something that is profitable to Microsoft, such as money, or services.

Facebook, Twitter, and Google are among the most profitable companies squarely because they sell data. Do you think that Microsoft, the company which gathers the most data, and which gathers it the most aggressively of all, and which has a history of being selfish and greedy, and which even says in their PR-sterilized way that they're selling the data they collect, isn't selling the data it collects? In what world would that make sense? Why do you think MS has forced millions of people to install Win 10? It's squarely to steal personal data from them, and to sell that personal data for profit.

Last edited:
Recently changed over to Win10 pro on my main desktop systems. Still running 7 on a secondary and laptop.

Win10 direct from MS had Bubble Witch and Candy Crush pre-installed. :LOL:

Facebook, Twitter, and Google are among the most profitable companies squarely because they sell data. Do you think that Microsoft, the company which gathers the most data, and which gathers it the most aggressively of all, and which has a history of being selfish and greedy, and which even says in their PR-sterilized way that they're selling the data they collect, isn't selling the data it collects? In what world would that make sense? Why do you think MS has forced millions of people to install Win 10? It's squarely to steal personal data from them, and to sell that personal data for profit.

Google and Facebook make their money selling ads leveraging personal data from usage of those platforms. Twitter has a much harder time of it. As far as Windows 10 telemetry, I just wanted to know how you know that Microsoft is selling individual data gathered from telemetry. A lot of that data is pretty worthless to a 3rd party, if the device has a touchscreen or a mouse. But if there were selling individual collections of program catalogs, file names, etc. they might as well pack up their could business and go home.

i saw this kind of news like 5 times in the last couple year, how many times does windows 10 have to surpasse 7 for it to be the last ?

i saw this kind of news like 5 times in the last couple year, how many times does windows 10 have to surpasse 7 for it to be the last ?
Seeing as how 7 is still the dominant OS on desktops / laptops and on Steam, it's probably going to be a while.

This is the first time that StatCounter has shown 10 over 7 in worldwide stats so you haven't seen this 5 times in the last year.

Seeing as how 7 is still the dominant OS on desktops / laptops and on Steam, it's probably going to be a while.

Those Steam numbers have been all over the place the 5 months or so. Windows 10 was well ahead of 7 until I think last October when apparently an influx of Chinese gamers spiked the hell out of Windows 7 usage and now 7 is collapsing and 10 is spiking, a 22 point swing in just January in 10s favor. Who knows, may very well spike again. But time is not on 7s side, it's 9 years old this year. It will eventually age out like all prior versions of Windows but 7, like XP, will no doubt have tons of folks holding onto well beyond the end of extended support date in just under two years now.

Don't care..give me back group policy and other pro features I paid for, or eat a bag of dicks. I'll keep win 7 installed until I literally cannot anymore until features they reneged on are given back. I paid for Pro edition..not shitty user edition.

It's all a LIE I tell you, those things cannot be trusted! :D (Unless they show Windows 7 in the lead, of course.) ;) On thing is certain though, MS does need to do a better job at getting rid of bugs before they release the major feature updates.

Edit: Changed not to need, which is what I meant to type in the first place.

Last edited:
I loooove Windows 7.

But the difficulty of obtaining a copy and the slow, sad realization that it will be going away made me choose Windows 10 for the first machine I've ever built, in early January.

Things like the initial setup, drivers, etc were soo easy.

Too bad they couldn't tidy it up a bit. They'd have an awesome OS if they took some of the bloatware out.

Give it either a month for people to go "Eeeeeh...Nope!" and hop back to Win7 or when Microsoft issues their next major patch series that dumbs 10 back down by adding or enabling more features everyone hates.

And all it took was giving it away free for years and doing everything reasonably possible to strong-arm us all in to upgrading. you go Microsoft!

What do these numbers even mean anymore? Remember when Linux hit 6%+ marketshare and they went back and revised the stats to hide it?

Perhaps but this is the first time that either StatCounter or Netmarketshare has shown Windows 10 eclipsing Windows 7 so the StatCounter number is notable in that regard.

In any case the Netmarketshare numbers are clearly trending to Windows 10 edging out Windows 7 sometime around summer this year. That would put Windows 10 edging out Windows 7 in three years, exactly the time frame it took Windows 7 to edge out Windows XP. Some will point to forced upgrades in the first year of Windows 10 inflating the numbers and I would agree some on that. However new PCs sales are much lower now than six years ago. If new PC sales were still growing I kind of doubt that Microsoft would have even had the free upgrade year.
And about the time frame that XP took to overtake 2000 #facts

Yet it still sucks.

I hate windows ten, i have stopped using pc’s for alot of things and when I do need to use a pc. For the first ten minutes I am like an 80 year old who hasnt used a computer before, windows ten to me is just ass backward.

What they should of done is update windows 7, keep its looks and layout but just tune up the underside to windows ten specs, atleast that way I wouldnt be confused and lost trying to find the bloody control panel.

And I am a genuis when it comes to computers, yet windows ten still baffles the shit outta me.

Telemetry is just a nice bonus - real end game is full control of all software sold on pcs through UWP and for that they need windows 10 running on every pc first. Next step is going to start installing UWP only version of windows 10 which people will have to upgrade to run legacy apps.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151582/exclusive-windows-10-s-dead-long-live-s-mode

Back