Windows 10 feature updates won't be auto installing..

modi123

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-no-longer-force-windows-10-feature-updates-users

Microsoft has announced that starting with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will no longer be forced to install new Windows 10 feature updates as they become available.
[...]
What Microsoft is doing here is splitting Windows Update in two. The normal "check for updates" button will now only function for security and monthly patches. Feature updates now get their own area in Windows Update where the user can initiate the download and install process for the latest feature update available. If the user doesn't want to initiate that process, they don't have to. The user will be alerted that a new feature update is available every now and then, but at no point will the user be forced to install that update, as long as the version of Windows 10 they're currently running is still in support.

That last part is key. Users can't remain on an old version of Windows 10 forever. Microsoft says that it will automatically install the latest feature update when the version of Windows 10 the user is currently running reaches end of support. For consumers, a feature update is in support for around 18 months.

Well that's some solid news and should ease up folk for on clutter and cruft being shoved down the pipe.

it's about time!...no more forced updates...finally giving back control to the end-user...with so many buggy/broken W10 updates being released in the past year it's good to see Microsoft finally make some changes

it's about time!...no more forced updates...finally giving back control to the end-user...with so many buggy/broken W10 updates being released in the past year it's good to see Microsoft finally make some changes
Well it's not forced as long as your build is in active support. This isn't a way around never upgrading.

Truth be told, if you want to stay on a specific version of 10 just disable Windows Update and use a 3rd party AV that doesn't need WU to receive updates.

Well it's not forced as long as your build is in active support. This isn't a way around never upgrading.

Truth be told, if you want to stay on a specific version of 10 just disable Windows Update and use a 3rd party AV that doesn't need WU to receive updates.

I keep my Windows up to date as far as build versions so it's more about waiting a few weeks to make sure a recently released patch/update is stable...I want to be able to wait 2 weeks before installing which is what I always used to do with Windows 7...looks like I can do that again now with W10

Then what generally begins to happen is that software begins not supporting your old build of Windows 10...

Then what generally begins to happen is that software begins not supporting your old build of Windows 10...
Of course. Not a problem for me because I run everything on the latest build (generally after a couple months of patches) but for others that insist on staying on a build there are limited options.

Since the last feature update I can’t seem to make Candy Crush stay off my start menu. I’ve deleted it like 5 times. WTF

Since the last feature update I can’t seem to make Candy Crush stay off my start menu. I’ve deleted it like 5 times. WTF

There are powershell scripts that can remove all apps. I use one paired with another one line powershell script that keeps new apps from provisioning themselves. Works great. If you want them you’ll have to do a quick google search though, I got some nasty messages the last time I posted it from someone who didn’t understand that they remove ALL apps.

Interesting but, at least on my computers, I will not be seeing this, since I upgrade about a month out to the insiders build fast ring. Will help with major program issues, though

There are powershell scripts that can remove all apps. I use one paired with another one line powershell script that keeps new apps from provisioning themselves. Works great. If you want them you’ll have to do a quick google search though, I got some nasty messages the last time I posted it from someone who didn’t understand that they remove ALL apps.

Just since I posted this message, everything came back on my start menu again. I keep deleting ALL tiles from my start menu but they just keep coming back.

Look for a script that disables provisioning of apps. If you don’t find it I’ll post it tomorrow. I have it at work.

I've heard of a 'decrapifyer' for Windows 10- something I intend to look more into as I plan on reinstalling soon.

I've heard of a 'decrapifyer' for Windows 10- something I intend to look more into as I plan on reinstalling soon.

There’s also some excellent powershell scripts. The 2 I like and recommend most remove ALL apps, and the other prevents new ones from provisioning on new accounts that log in. So when you install windows, log into a dummy account first and run the scripts. Then log into the account you will be using for yourself and you won’t see any apps and none will provision themselves on your first login.

Heatlesssun was actually a very sophisticated chat bot. Sadly, he was accidentally deleted by Windows 10 when the machine he was on downloaded the 1809 update.
Hehe.
He was more than one person thats for sure.

Don't worry, Heatlesssun still lurks on r/linux_gaming trying to spread his MS propaganda....

Back