Windows 10 Feature Depreciation List

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Windows 10 specifications page has a list of things that will be removed from Windows 10. Among the things that will be removed are:

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

the only thing that will affect me is the USB Floppy drive part.

RIP non-metro Solitaire and Minesweeper games. :( WTH would MS remove those? The .exes will work on Windows 10.

If I cared about OneDrive, the same thing applies. Those two things stand out as pointless changes to force adoption of newer crap.

I wonder if Microsoft might be removing functionality (DVD Playback, Media Center) to boost their app store. Developers probably don't want to develop something when it comes standard on the machine. The more they remove, the more "app store" apps can take their place.

They removed the drive imaging / backup stuff in 8.1. I hoped it'd return in 10, but from the looks of it, I doubt it at this point.

Having crappy throughput and limited band with the forced updates will force me from updating. I'm all for plugging holes, but if I've only got an hour to play a game I don't want my throughout gobbled up by an update and then have my processes and drive tied up. One of those friggin win 8 updates left unable to use my computer for nearly an hour b/c it hogged my SSD.

They removed the drive imaging / backup stuff in 8.1. I hoped it'd return in 10, but from the looks of it, I doubt it at this point.

One of many reasons I'm still on 8.0 and staying there.

Windows 10 will have to prove itself as more than just a marketing reboot of Windows 8.1 before I bother installing it.

I wonder if Microsoft might be removing functionality (DVD Playback, Media Center) to boost their app store.
I think it's due to 1) licensee fees and 2) DVD format support becoming less necessary, especially when 3) systems and drives usually include playback software anyways.

The cynic in me also sees this as a way that MS can get into more "living rooms" by offering its own version of a low cost AppleTV-like device, something that's been rumored for years, in addition to the similar tv/movie playback functionality on Xbone.

Well it looks like I won't be running Windows 10 Home which is what I would be eligible for the free upgrade on, with Microsoft's track record no control over updates is a deal breaker.

Well it looks like I won't be running Windows 10 Home which is what I would be eligible for the free upgrade on, with Microsoft's track record no control over updates is a deal breaker.

If you don't want to install them right away, you could just set up a firewall rule to block the update servers. When you want to update, just disable the rule temporarily.

RIP non-metro Solitaire and Minesweeper games. :( WTH would MS remove those? The .exes will work on Windows 10.

If I cared about OneDrive, the same thing applies. Those two things stand out as pointless changes to force adoption of newer crap.

Everyone always bitched about the bloat on windows, now they remove it and make it optional and people still bitch. Make up your minds!

So why would you upgrade from win8.1 to win 10 anyway? Win8.1 is booting fast for me as it is. Plus I don't know how, but I've managed to live without the start menu. I actually find that right clicking on the garbage can icon (start), and that menu that then appears is way better anyway as it's got direct access to control panel, device manager, etc right there. I rarely have to go to the dumb start screen (which I have emptied of everything bar desktop), then to the app screen to launch stuff.

Is there any technical advantage? I don't use the app store on my desktop computer because of the fact I really could not be mutha fuked typing my windows account password to log in all the time. Why the hell can't we just use local accounts to access the content? It's tied to just the computer you install store stuff to anyway. OR, only require account log in when accessing the store only, not the os?

I stopped being a modern computer enthusiast when this app shit took over. It's really soul destroying seeing the current state of computing. Software sucks, it's all greasy touchy hipster shit.

I dont understand why they are discontinuing WMC support. Or at least give us the option to buy it like Win 8.

Everyone always bitched about the bloat on windows, now they remove it and make it optional and people still bitch. Make up your minds!

That's hardly bloat. Bloat is where the oem puts all of their paid for 3rd party garbage on top of the os.

Minesweeper & Solitaire are ~850k so they hardly contribute to the bloat.

win10backup.jpg

WRT dvd's and media center, yes due to licensing and also the Windows Media team was disbanded long ago.

I don't know any regular users who update unless I set force updates to install, so I'm 100% in agreement with MS on forcing updates to Win 10 Home.

If you don't want to install them right away, you could just set up a firewall rule to block the update servers. When you want to update, just disable the rule temporarily.

Do you not realize how silly that sounds. You shouldn't have to fight an OS like this, setting up manual firewall rules to brute force bandaid fix what should just be an optional setting. Totally absurd.

So why would you upgrade from win8.1 to win 10 anyway? Win8.1 is booting fast for me as it is. Plus I don't know how, but I've managed to live without the start menu. I actually find that right clicking on the garbage can icon (start), and that menu that then appears is way better anyway as it's got direct access to control panel, device manager, etc right there. I rarely have to go to the dumb start screen (which I have emptied of everything bar desktop), then to the app screen to launch stuff.

Is there any technical advantage? I don't use the app store on my desktop computer because of the fact I really could not be mutha fuked typing my windows account password to log in all the time. Why the hell can't we just use local accounts to access the content? It's tied to just the computer you install store stuff to anyway. OR, only require account log in when accessing the store only, not the os?

I stopped being a modern computer enthusiast when this app shit took over. It's really soul destroying seeing the current state of computing. Software sucks, it's all greasy touchy hipster shit.

I'm still waiting on a *single* must-have feature myself to go 8.0 -> 10.. Just ONE. DX12 is irrelevant until there are actually a few good DX12 games, which won't really happen until end of the year at the earliest and the rest 2016.

Minesweeper & Solitaire are ~850k so they hardly contribute to the bloat.

Every little bit counts, and neither of those are important. The only time you play either of them is if you don't have an Internet connection.

Are you referring to the one you can access running 'sdclt.exe' from admin command prompt?

Dumbest post I read today. Seriously?

The bloat on Windows has a few causes, mostly due to retaining version compatibility (was: fix for DLL hell). Bloat is contained in folders to allow service packs and updates to be uninstalled, plus leftovers of (shared) DLLs of programs no longer installed.

Bloat is definitely not caused by 920KB (entire Solitaire folder) or 5MB (entire Minesweeper folder) games folders that are needlessly deleted because MS wants people to use the newer versions available as a separate install (from the Microsoft Store... go go pump download stats!). 6MB of games already installed that are, for better or worse, commonly played are not comparable to the general bloat Windows has.

I have Windows 7 Home. Can I upgrade to Win 10 Pro and pay the difference in price? Or am I only able to get the free upgrade to Win 10 Home?

I'd gladly pay the difference to go to 10 Pro if it means I can defer updates.

Directx 12 on my gigabyte 280 isn't really a reason. ;)

Use this free software from Aomei to fix that issue.

http://www.backup-utility.com/

And that's the sort of stuff that annoys me too. It's probably a reputable company, but when features are removed and people say "use xxx from xyy company", I've never heard of xyy company and have to then look it up before then bloating my own os with something it should already have, that annoys me. It all comes back to app store garbage. Features pulled that you then have to get the stupid app for. This shit is as I mentioned earlier, has turned me off from being a modern computer enthusiast. I hate the term app and everything about them.

When your windows install is 16gb, (the size of my win8.1 windows folder only), you have to wonder where and what the hell man, 16gb is used on what? Visually it's several generations behind windows 7, feature wise it has less. So, wtf man? Maybe that's the sort of bloat xironcrossx meant I suppose.

Wait, what? I see System Image features just fine in both 8.1 and the latest 10 build. Do you mean they intend to remove it? If so, that sucks... but at the moment I see the option.

My biggest gripe is the removal of native DVD playback and Media Center. Stupid ass decisions, imo.

Wait, what? I see System Image features just fine in both 8.1 and the latest 10 build. Do you mean they intend to remove it? If so, that sucks... but at the moment I see the option.

They changed the location, and people not smart enough to figure this out, just cry about it.

I have Windows 7 Home. Can I upgrade to Win 10 Pro and pay the difference in price? Or am I only able to get the free upgrade to Win 10 Home?

I'd gladly pay the difference to go to 10 Pro if it means I can defer updates.

Free upgrade to 10, but upgrade to pro will cost $99 through MS. MS fucks people who want to go from home to pro. Its better ot jsut buy a copy of pro outright.

That's your problem. You asked for a reason. I dropped a hugely important one on you.

DX12 is only as important as the availability of DX12 games. And most of what's been announced (not much) is 2016.

My biggest gripe is the removal of native DVD playback and Media Center. Stupid ass decisions, imo.

I can kinda see this at this point in time. DVD on PC isn't the must have of 10 years ago. Hell there will be users who use WinX who have never used a video disc of any kind, and won't. The license costs MS $ that would be passed on to the end user.

Did anyone else notice the second line of the web page?

"These are for a pre-released version of Windows 10 and are subject to change."

Did anyone else notice the second line of the web page?

"These are for a pre-released version of Windows 10 and are subject to change."

Boiler plate language that Microsoft and others use until a product is finalized which technically at this point Windows 10 isn't. But being this close to RTM I doubt that the items on this list will change much if at all.

I wonder if Microsoft might be removing functionality (DVD Playback, Media Center) to boost their app store.

I imagine the CSS licensing could also be a factor. Save money by not including a rarely used feature as most machines nowadays don't even include a DVDRom.

DX12 is only as important as the availability of DX12 games. And most of what's been announced (not much) is 2016.

If only there were some large, annual event at which games are announced and detailed, some gathering where information is disseminated...

Back